LG 38UC99 UltraWide Review

nicklmg

These are sooooo expensive... 

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

I'm also curious as to which monitors are on Linus's top 3 monitors list.

As for the 38UC99 -- mine was delivered two days ago and I've got to say I'm glad I didn't go with the 34" version. Having tried the Dell u3415w, I wasn't blown away by the resolution or clarity. Coming from a PLP 20-30-20 setup, the 38UC99 is a perfect replacement with a familiar vertical resolution. The refresh rates and Freesync/Gsync requirements aren't really important to me as I don't do much gaming. 

The wobbling -- I'm not getting any of that on either the stand or mounted on my Humanscale arm mounts. My desk is pretty solid so I'm wondering if it's a furniture build quality issue?

Overall, after spending a day figuring out that DP 1.2 cables should be kept at no longer than 6ft to support ~4k/60, I'm pretty happy with the 38UC99 and glad I waited for it. 

@L.L. If you come from a typical 20-30-20 PLP setup (1200x1600-2560x1600-1200x1600) you will actually find less horizontal space. I've attached one comparision for this. Red = 30" 2560x1600, blue with violet frame: 20" 1200x1600 directly attached to the 30" screen. In the background and visible as turquoise: the resoultion provided by the LGU 38C99. 

I'm currently running a 30-24 LP setup. I'm loving the 1920 vertical pixels (and 1200 horizontal) of the 24" screen and the big space on my 30" 2560x1600 screen.

Actually getting more than 1920 vertical pixels on a single display would require to upgrade to UHD/(DCI)4K or even 5K. Unfortunately there are no affordable displays with 16:10 AR in this region. Going wider than 16:10 on single displays is no option for me.

compare.png

17 minutes ago, visitor2015 said:

@L.L. If you come from a typical 20-30-20 PLP setup (1200x1600-2560x1600-1200x1600) you will actually find less horizontal space. I've attached one comparision for this. Red = 30" 2560x1600, blue with violet frame: 20" 1200x1600 directly attached to the 30" screen. In the background and visible as turquoise: the resoultion provided by the LGU 38C99. 

I'm currently running a 30-24 LP setup. I'm loving the 1920 vertical pixels (and 1200 horizontal) of the 24" screen and the big space on my 30" 2560x1600 screen.

Actually getting more than 1920 vertical pixels on a single display would require to upgrade to UHD/(DCI)4K or even 5K. Unfortunately there are no affordable displays with 16:10 AR in this region. Going wider than 16:10 on single displays is no option for me.

compare.png

You're right about horizontal real estate and I forgot to mention one of the 20" monitors was retained (flanking on the right) in my original post. 

Although vertical resolution is similar between the 20" and 38" at 1600 px, it is not as natural of a transition when spanning compared to the old U3011. 

How do you compensate for the added vertical pixels in the 16:10 setup when paired up with the 30" or are you just dealing with it like I am?

2 hours ago, L.L. said:

How do you compensate for the added vertical pixels in the 16:10 setup when paired up with the 30" or are you just dealing with it like I am?

I have the setup as displayed below. Adjusted to same baseline at the bottom. The top right corner of that setup is good for IRC client placement. This setup has its odds as the Bios often that display as primary which it could detect first at one of the DP ports. If switched on in wrong sequence the Linux (dual boot system) console is also rotated on the U2415 if used without X-server. Anotherwise the more vertical displays are perfect for whole page document editing, magazine reading or long web pages.

3024LP.png

Love this monitor!! Is there any 38 inch monitor with multiple inputs that has G-Sync on the market right now?

I'm planning on getting one. Most of the time I work from home and my work computer has the screen flex broken, so I plug it in to my monitor. My personal laptop is a Blade Stealth. My work computer has proxy so I can't watch youtube videos or facebook, so I go the entire day switching from the big monitor to my laptop. I tried Teamviewer but it lags so much. Having both laptops plugged in to the same monitor and using a software to get the mouse from one computer to the other, would solve my life so much.

This is definitively my first option, but don't wanna spend this much money for a monitor that can't be plugged to a 1080/1070 on the Razer Core with G-Sync...

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am thinking of buying a new monitor and videocard. I don't buy monitors often, so when I buy one, I want it to be one of the best. So... I am in a split at the moment. Should I go for the Acer Predator X34A with 100Hz and Gsync or for the LG 38U99 wich has a bigger screen but 75Hz and Freesync? I already made my mind up about the videocard. That will be a GTX 1080.

The monitor I have at the moment (27 inch) was one of the biggest at the time I bought it. Everybody said it would be bad for my eyes and I would have to sit on the other side of the room to look at it without problems. The big screen didn't give me problems at all! I loved it, and still do to a certain point, were it not getting too old for me. And at the moment 27 inch is sold a lot.

Any thoughts about the difficult choice (for me though) would be great, thanks upfront.  Acer Predator X34A or LG 38U99

(Oh and sorry for my (maybe childish) English, it isn't my native language)

• 1 month later...

I just saw this today, it made me hard. I want these soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad but buying 3 of them costing me about $4500 is preposterous, mine were cheap $700 ones. even my current 3 34" can barley fit on my desk at the moment but good god those screens are so sexy. Maybe 2018 they'll go down to 1k.

Sorry, bump.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS