LG 38UC99 UltraWide Review

nicklmg

That big that resolution to run Windows at 10fps

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

What's going on with the PC in the Corsair Air 540 at 8:30... is it filled with water?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

What's going on with the PC in the Corsair Air 540 at 8:30... is it filled with water?

Yeah that's an aquarium :P

You'll get more info on Saturday :)

7 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

eww only 1080p

yeah but its curved and you can overclock to 75hz and tbh 1080 looks the same as 1440 to me

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

1 minute ago, MartinWake said:

yeah but its curved and you can overclock to 75hz and tbh 1080 looks the same as 1440 to me

At that size 1080 will NOT look the same as 1440.

But $1000....why can't they launch these at $500? OLED should be bringing these prices down. :(

22 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

Ordering a Samsung product for someone off of Amazon is the new form of terrorism since all of their stuff just explodes. Don't kill Linus. :P 

38 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

At that size 1080 will NOT look the same as 1440.

How about that price point?

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

27 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

But $1000....why can't they launch these at $500? OLED should be bringing these prices down. :(

Ordering a Samsung product for someone off of Amazon is the new form of terrorism since all of their stuff just explodes. Don't kill Linus. :P 

lol

Don't shame the companies for offering features that support AMD hardware just because you're a "baller". If you want a monitor that supports Gsync go shop for a Gsync monitor is all I'm saying.

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

It's a search string, so if the product isn't available in your region then it won't show up.

Yeah, I was kinda suspecting that ! Didn't mean to be rude tho, sorry. 

Anyways, thanks :) I'll search with Amazon.somethingelse 

LOL These are $1,500. Guess I'll still be sticking at the good 'ol 30'' 2560x1600. Still a beast.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

4 hours ago, Unexas. said:

They are so expensive.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

LOL These are $1,500. Guess I'll still be sticking at the good 'ol 30'' 2560x1600. Still a beast.

Objectively, they're not that expensive, at least not compared to the $1349 USD Dell PC4317Q Multi-Client display monitor.

dell-p4317q-monitor-overview-1.0.0.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/20/11720778/dells-43-inch-4k-multi-client-monitor-amazing

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-ahsq?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHSQ

I just don't understand why more companies don't allow their monitors to support multiple inputs, segmented to each corner.

Many of us who use both Laptops and Desktops for work would benefit immensely from such monitors.

We could use both machines without any borders between apps, and, with accompanying software, work seamlessly between all connected PCs.

(File drag n drop, clipboard copy/paste, etc.)

Yes, this exists via KVM switches or software like Synergy, but it would be great to see a monitor company integrate these features into a monitor.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Linus G-sync woulda made it cost $1999 lol

I'm sure version 2 will be a lot better

Also you seem to always forget to say how well free-sync works on a display when you get one

Also woulda been real nice to see what settings you need to run with a Fury X to get playable frame rates on it for at least 1-2 AAA games

also I don't very well see the point when you could almost get like 3 4k IPS free-sync displays for the same price if screen space is your thing, although 2 40" 4k displays would probably be better for productivity

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fy4NnQ/lg-monitor-27mc67b

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

In the video, Linus mentioned that this monitor is in his top 3 monitors. Would we be able to know what are the top 1 and top 2?

I'm currently in the market for new monitor and I'm torn whether to buy the Acer Predator x34, it's asus counterpart or wait until this LG 38 inch monitor comes up.

I don't think you're (Linus) giving this monitor the credit it deserves. The original 34UM95 that started the entire ultrawide craze had much less features and capability, yet became a hot favorite for many myself included. You can wish for G-sync and 120/144Hz as much as you want, but without connector support and GPU horsepower, it's not gonna happen. And as far as having to sit back, that's FAR BETTER than having to plaster your face 4 inches from the panel of what many first gen 4K monitors made users do - moving your head around to take in your peripheral vision in more detail is actually more immersive than a drawback.

You are spot on about the PPI scaling, and I believe many users will flock to this display because of that one huge benefit. The fact that it's so much more elegant than having a two or even three monitor setup is a nice bonus. Not everyone WANTS multiple monitors, but do want the extra screen real estate and resolution.

I was fortunate to grab my 34UM95 back on launch day in May of 2014. It's still running as good as new even connected to a much older Qosmio X305 notebook. But I think the killer argument is this though - if I were NOT already on the 21:9 bandwagon, the 38UC99 would be at the top of my list.

http://lgponthemove.blogspot.com/2014/06/accessory-corner-lg-34um95-monitor.html

14 minutes ago, Luscious said:

I don't think you're (Linus) giving this monitor the credit it deserves. The original 34UM95 that started the entire ultrawide craze had much less features and capability, yet became a hot favorite for many myself included. You can wish for G-sync and 120/144Hz as much as you want, but without connector support and GPU horsepower, it's not gonna happen. And as far as having to sit back, that's FAR BETTER than having to plaster your face 4 inches from the panel of what many first gen 4K monitors made users do - moving your head around to take in your peripheral vision in more detail is actually more immersive than a drawback.

You are spot on about the PPI scaling, and I believe many users will flock to this display because of that one huge benefit. The fact that it's so much more elegant than having a two or even three monitor setup is a nice bonus. Not everyone WANTS multiple monitors, but do want the extra screen real estate and resolution.

I was fortunate to grab my 34UM95 back on launch day in May of 2014. It's still running as good as new even connected to a much older Qosmio X305 notebook. But I think the killer argument is this though - if I were NOT already on the 21:9 bandwagon, the 38UC99 would be at the top of my list.

http://lgponthemove.blogspot.com/2014/06/accessory-corner-lg-34um95-monitor.html

@Luscious If your given a chance to choose between this and the Acer Predator x34, which one would you choose and why? 

Because of the price I settled for the 29", 1080p one http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM67-P-ultrawide-led-monitor

Now this beast, big and all, is no upgrade for me, because my complaints are still there: wobbly stand, OSD and controller are unhelpful and now it misses DVI.

I would want to run my next monitor for 2 PCs and game on it, I wouldn't even mind FreeSynch, because I stay in the AMD camp. So this one does simply not fit me, which is a shame on this price, where the fixes should be affordable.

Question: how well do 1080p Blu-Ray movies in letterbox stretch on this size/resolution?

We do what we can, because we must.