2D Image to 3D Model

I've had my 3D printer for a while and I've started to run out of ideas that I can model for it, I decided to draw a picture and now I'm wondering how I can convert it to an STL file or anything that can be opened in a slicer. I have Paint.net and inkscape as image software, blender and c4d for making/rendering models, and I use cura as my slicer software. Any help would be great!

3 minutes ago, Grieferrimix said:

I've had my 3D printer for a while and I've started to run out of ideas that I can model for it, I decided to draw a picture and now I'm wondering how I can convert it to an STL file or anything that can be opened in a slicer. I have Paint.net and inkscape as image software, blender and c4d for making/rendering models, and I use cura as my slicer software. Any help would be great!

If you have windows 10, the build in program actually allows you to do that using a 2d image. I have done it a few times. The program is called 3D builder or 3D modeler. I can't remember what it is called.

i like trains 🙂

The problem is whatever you may be drawing, you need something indicating a third axis for things to be sensible.

For example i designed a custom case badge for @ShadowTechXTS in 2D, and simply took the different shades of grey (ladies ;)) and 'extruded' them to different heights in SketchUp make.

After that it's a matter of fixing the "coherency of the model" (thank taran for that term) so your slicer of choice understands what the flip is up.

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

If you have windows 10, the build in program actually allows you to do that using a 2d image. I have done it a few times. The program is called 3D builder or 3D modeler. I can't remember what it is called.

I have tried it, and it seems like a powerful piece of software, with a very dumbed down "for grandma" UI, resulting in a less than satisfying experience.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

The problem is whatever you may be drawing, you need something indicating a third axis for things to be sensible.

For example i designed a custom case badge for @ShadowTechXTS in 2D, and simply took the different shades of grey (ladies ;)) and 'extruded' them to different heights in SketchUp make.

After that it's a matter of fixing the "coherency of the model" (thank taran for that term) so your slicer of choice understands what the flip is up.

I have tried it, and it seems like a powerful piece of software, with a very dumbed down "for grandma" UI, resulting in a less than satisfying experience.

I was bored one day, and I discovered it. I would try to use something more professional in the software aspect, but there would be a simple way to do it.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

I was bored one day, and I discovered it. I would try to use something more professional in the software aspect, but there would be a simple way to do it.

I like sketchup make, it has a very generous learning curve, and once you find your way around them trying to sell you pro, it's free and (mostly) nag-free.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I like sketchup make, it has a very generous learning curve, and once you find your way around them trying to sell you pro, it's free and (mostly) nag-free.

I hate the advertising. I used it for my featured case on GreenHamGaming(YouTube channel) skybox case. And yes, he pronounced my name incorrectly.

i like trains 🙂

2 hours ago, Grieferrimix said:

The first step is to make sure that your drawings somehow indicate a third axis. Isometric or Axon drawings, or excellent shading will work. 
The second step is to never expect that any software will ever be able to perfectly convert from a 2d image to a 3d object, so you will always want to double check the object and fix any errors before printing. Windows 10 has a built in tool called "3D Builder" that is capable of doing this for you. I believe that 3D Builder is also intended to interface with common 3D printers, so you might get lucky and be able to do everything from inside that one app.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME