youtube wont play in hd for me

star_weaver

this is the best place that i can think of to put this post, any way
i have pretty decent internet speeds, between 150 and 200 down and ~200 up depending on the time of day. but i just cant seem to play any 720/1080p videos and yes ive been through all the steps and spoken to my provider but it only fixes the problem for about 5 minutes

9 minutes ago, star_weaver said:

this is the best place that i can think of to put this post, any way
i have pretty decent internet speeds, between 150 and 200 down and ~200 up depending on the time of day. but i just cant seem to play any 720/1080p videos and yes ive been through all the steps and spoken to my provider but it only fixes the problem for about 5 minutes

Checked speed test.net, specs? Browser? Test everything!!

New Zealand, eh?  Might be more of a Google thing.  Do you know if playback works with other Internet connections on your island/country? 

with steam, i get about 130Mb/s
depending on what "speed test" i use i get 150-200 down
netflix plays, as well as it does, not sure on what quality its running on though

Its certainly possible that Google has limited connectivity to New Zealand and has chosen not to locally cache the 1080p versions of the videos.  So when you play them back, they might have to be transferred from other regions.  If there is any disruption to this process, your playback will be impaired.

That is why I suggested that you make sure that you eliminate your own hardware as that problem, and try to watch them on an internet connection at a school/library/coffee shop/restaurant, etc., to see if the results are different at 1080p resolutions.  Just to eliminate your hardware and Google from the equation.

"Speed tests" are pretty useless typically. 

Have you tried 2 things:

1- update drivers

2-different browser

id recommend giving those a try