I'm after a low price camera, ideas?

Hello, I'm after a really cheap camera, like really cheap, about £150, I will be using it for some video taking pretty much weekly and will use it for taking photos. Do you think buying a used camera would be a good idea? Any ideas. I have no clue.

Thanks,

Max

go to a big outlet like media markt (in europe, not sure if it's a UK thing) and dig around the bins upon bins of cameras :P

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

go to a big outlet like media markt (in europe, not sure if it's a UK thing) and dig around the bins upon bins of cameras :P

Know any trusted places to find stuff in the UK?

2 minutes ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

Know any trusted places to find stuff in the UK?

i think my country of residence kinda answers my question :P

but generally, any outlet with big stores is probably okay. shopping centres are something worth looking at as well.

Just now, manikyath said:

i think my country of residence kinda answers my question :P

but generally, any outlet with big stores is probably okay. shopping centres are something worth looking at as well.

Didn't even look at your location... Lol.

Didn't even look at your location... Lol.

Is the Canon 350D a good camera, just found one used on amazon for £150... Seems like a good camera. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-350D-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B0007R6CHQ/ref=sr_1_395?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1476215432&sr=1-395&keywords=sony+camera

Buy a used DSLR, not more than 2 or 3 years old.  Otherwise just buy a flagship smartphone as they have pretty good cameras now days.  I'm not sure you could get anything better for that much money.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Buy a used DSLR, not more than 2 or 3 years old.  Otherwise just buy a flagship smartphone as they have pretty good cameras now days.  I'm not sure you could get anything better for that much money.

I have a galaxy S5, that good enough? The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't customize it very much like the focus, and I find that pretty crucial.

i would suggest, that you get a used d5100 if you want to get great stills, or anything like a canon t6 for video. If you only want to take video sony camcorders are a good option. 

1 minute ago, lh99 said:

i would suggest, that you get a used d5100 if you want to get great stills, or anything like a canon t6 for video. If you only want to take video sony camcorders are a good option. 

I will most likely be using video but I would also be taking pictures with it as well. Looking at this right now, does it seem any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSLR-A100K-Camera-18-70mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000GSVQNQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1476215937&sr=1-6&keywords=sony+dslr

5 minutes ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

I will most likely be using video but I would also be taking pictures with it as well. Looking at this right now, does it seem any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSLR-A100K-Camera-18-70mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B000GSVQNQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1476215937&sr=1-6&keywords=sony+dslr

dont buy an old sony alpha, only the new sony mirrorlesses are good, those old ones are shit, bc they dont have a flappy mirror, so the already not that good image sharpness of those old sensors will be further degraded by the mirror by ca. 30%

I own the 350D, its not worth £150 today. 

Check cex.co.uk, they have pretty good deals on cameras and lenses, as good as prices get in the used market mostly. 

You can get something much better if you spend closer to £200, considerably better. 

I wouldn't really bother with buying a £150 DSLR unless I got a really good deal on a 600D or something. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

17 hours ago, cc143 said:

Check cex.co.uk, they have pretty good deals on cameras and lenses, as good as prices get in the used market mostly. 

You can get something much better if you spend closer to £200, considerably better. 

I wouldn't really bother with buying a £150 DSLR unless I got a really good deal on a 600D or something. 

Have been to CEX plenty of times, didn't think to look there. Will look on the website now.

18 hours ago, cc143 said:

Do you think a 350D would be a good idea to buy for video?

20 minutes ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

Do you think a 350D would be a good idea to buy for video?

Nothing from 2006 will take video!, I believe the first Eos xxxd camera to do that was the 550D, although I could easily be mistaken. 

For video, at that price range, get a used camcorder, if you don't like the idea, the best you can do is dig through your pockets and get a 700D

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

Tbh I would use the phone untill you can save up for something decent. You wont get much of a DSLR or Mirrorless for 150. Maybe a half decent compact camera but a used DSLR for 150 is really hard to find anything decent. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Tbh I would use the phone untill you can save up for something decent. You wont get much of a DSLR or Mirrorless for 150. Maybe a half decent compact camera but a used DSLR for 150 is really hard to find anything decent. 

Is this a good camera, this is about the price I would pay maximum. Thoughts?

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSLRCAN1100D1855B#.V_5r0o8rLIU

You could try the a5000, which is kind of within your reach, https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSLRSONA50001650B#.V_5sK-grKhc (Yes I realise £35 on a £150 is more than 20% more), but nothing else springs to mind. 

And to be honest, I don't think the a5000 is that good, just ok for the price I guess. 

Video quality on that ought to be crap, and tbh, I don't like the 1100D, always seemed too "old", even when launched, at that price point, you don't need a camera when you have a phone. 

1 minute ago, cc143 said:

Video quality on that ought to be crap, and tbh, I don't like the 1100D, always seemed too "old", even when launched, at that price point, you don't need a camera when you have a phone. 

I need the manual focus, really helpful for me.

You could try the a5000, which is kind of within your reach, https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSLRSONA50001650B#.V_5sK-grKhc (Yes I realise £35 on a £150 is more than 20% more), but nothing else springs to mind. 

And to be honest, I don't think the a5000 is that good, just ok for the price I guess. 

The A5000 is pretty decent. Its a nice entry to the world of photographing. Personally I feel its lacking in a few points which is why I'm about to buy the A6000 quite soon instead of my A5000, but you can get pretty good images from it. Or well I would consider the ones I've got to be decent at least. 

5 minutes ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

Not sure, I'm a bit sceptical to the low ISO and megapixel count, I know this is not all but nowadays most entry level cameras start with 20megapixels ish which makes me think this one may be a bit old and maybe not so great. But read reviews, those usally say a lot. Same as looking on images taken with the camera.

1 minute ago, xQubeZx said:

The A5000 is pretty decent. Its a nice entry to the world of photographing. Personally I feel its lacking in a few points which is why I'm about to buy the A6000 quite soon instead of my A5000, but you can get pretty good images from it. Or well I would consider the ones I've got to be decent at least. 

Not sure, I'm a bit sceptical to the low ISO and megapixel count, I know this is not all but nowadays most entry level cameras start with 20megapixels ish which makes me think this one may be a bit old and maybe not so great. But read reviews, those usally say a lot. Same as looking on images taken with the camera.

The majority of the use of this camera would be for videos however I would take images with it.

3 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

I have the a6000, I am not that happy with it to recommend, although tbh, its Sony's ecosystem in general that let me down the most, as well as the fact that features that supposedly the sony had over Canon or nikon, have been on Canons and Nikons for years. 

1 minute ago, iCantThinkOfAName said:

The majority of the use of this camera would be for videos however I would take images with it.

Then get the a5000 if you must buy a camera, you could pick up some cheap FD lenses and adapter off ebay for manual focus. I could even suggest you go with the body only a6000, even though it costs a bit more and get a cheap FD lens and adapter off ebay. 

Then the A5000 would most likley be a lot better since that does 1080p at least and is able to adapt old manual focus lenses that wont cost much. It will also be cheaper to buy stuff like stabalizers for it since its smaller and lighter but you will be lacking an mic input and hot shoe, remember that. 

I have the a6000, I am not that happy with it to recommend, although tbh, its Sony's ecosystem in general that let me down the most, as well as the fact that features that supposedly the sony had over Canon or nikon, have been on Canons and Nikons for years. 

Then get the a5000 if you must buy a camera, you could pick up some cheap FD lenses and adapter off ebay for manual focus. I could even suggest you go with the body only a6000, even though it costs a bit more and get a cheap FD lens and adapter off ebay. 

May I ask what you don't enjoy about the A6000 a bit more? I was checking it out in the store and liked it quite a bit. Would be nice to see another persons point of view of it.