BSOD 124 while gaming on 2600$ rig...Details inside....

GamerKing9
Go to solution Solved by GamerKing9,
On 1/9/2017 at 9:30 AM, GamerKing9 said:

Update !!!

As i told earlier, I am free now & i was searching yesterday for H100i related issues & i found a video which showed that if back plate of cooler is not mounted correctly, it can lead to various problems. Here is the vid.

So i thought before changing to stock cooler, i should try this so i opened up my case cover & found out that my PC guy installed back plate in perfectly wrong position. o.O

I removed that back plate & installed it again with set of new washers & wow!!! It looks like problem is solved because after that i played MAFIA III for 1 hour with no crash(which usually crashes in 3 mins.Idle temp is 29-33c & while playing MAFIA III 73c Max,Which is good i think:):D) Now trying up different games to see whether problem is really solved or not. I will Update in 2 days. & if problem is really solved than all credit goes to you wonderful people of LTT community :) Will update soon...cheers:)

Update.

I am so happy to announce that, BSOD 124 is gonexD.(Applied new thermal paste,Tested with various games, Max temp. while gaming is 73-75c, no sign of BSOD so far so this clears that this has been issue of heating & loose back plate.)

Thank you so much for helping me out to find the solution of this really frustrating problem, i was searching for solution from Jan 2015 & found this after 2 years just because of you guys, because of LTT forum, i can play any game peacefully:). I am really thankful to you guys for helping me out.:x

First of all...Hello everyone...

I am GamerKing9,I am from india & big fan of LinusTechTips, its been 7 years since i started watching YouTube channel, because of you guys, i get motivated & built my 2600$ rig, here is the config.

Cabinet - CM 690 III Transparent Side
Processor - i7 4790K
Motherboard - Gigabyte z97m-d3h
HDD - WD Green 2TB + 2TB
SSD -Samsung 850 Pro
PSU - Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition
Graphics card - Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Edition
Ram - Corsair vengeance 8gb 1600 MHZ
Processor cooler - corsair H100i
Monitor - BenQ EW2740
Keyboard - Logitech G510s
Mouse - steel series rival 100
Optical Drive - DVD RW

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Last installation of windows - around 8 months ago.

I built this on 6th Oct 2014 & as you can see, this is one beast of a machine...everything was going smooth till  January 2015 and suddenly one day when i was playing Assassins Creed IV:Black Flag...my computer crashed with BSOD error code 124 with a wired buzzing noise coming from my headset, i thought it was just a game bug, so i goggled it and found out that there is no specific solution to this error, and this is mostly hardware related error but it can also caused by any software....so i put this on a famous Indian forum digit.in, with help from my Indian friends i have done many things to solve this frustrating problem. but no luck so far.

Here are things i have done so far to solve this problem -

1) Formatting & reinstalling windows 7 64 bit.

2) Playing game on basic graphics driver installed,(Nvidia geforce driver)

3) Replaced MOBO with a new one.(Yes asus gave me replacement because i sent my processor & ram with my mobo to test.)

4) Replaced my PSU with Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition, before that i was using CM Strom 700w power supply.

5) MemTest86 for Overnight. No errors detected.(Done this 2-3 times.)

6) My one 2 TB HDD had few bad sectors so replaced it with new one.

7) Scanned HDD with HD tune pro & Hard Disk Sentinel. No errors detected.

8) Cleaned whole Cabinet with all cables removed also applied new thermal paste on corsair H100i

9) BIOS Updated to latest version.

10) No overclock ever.

11)Tried Windows 8.1/10 but same error occurred.

This BSOD 124 occurs anytime while playing graphic intensive games but it is more frequent when i play Assassins creed IV & Syndicate, thats why i stopped playing those games and got no BSOD with other games or very rarely with CS:GO like once in 4-5 months, but today when i was playing MAFIA III & it started crashing after each 10 mins with same BSOD 124, so same story again, also not playing games is not a solution because i have spent lot of money just to play games on this rig & when you can't do that one thing, it becomes really frustrating. You guys can better understand my situation, i came here because you are my last hope guys..i will provide as much info as you need to solve this issue because i want to solve this at any cost now.

Also i read somewhere that increasing voltages to processor through bios can help in some cases because it is power related issue..so is this true in my case? if yes than how to do that?

google Drive link attached which contains -

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

MEMORY.DMP

HWinInfo Log

Kernal Power error

Crosair Idle png

NZXT Cam IDLE png

i cant provide perfmon /report because it gives me error 'The Data Collector Set or one of its dependencies is already in use.', already done SFC /scannow without any errors.

Link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0SIfcecKt_DLVZwcEU1S2FmOVU

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Windows is known for those things. Have you tried using Windows 10?

yeah Done That. I will add this in list of things a have already done.

Ran again through your list and i think your RAM or GPU might be faulty. If you can,get some other GPU from your friend or somewhere to test it in your rig. ( also do it for the RAM). And i have a question, those games which give you most BSODs, are they original games?

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

Ran again through your list and i think your RAM or GPU might be faulty. If you can,get some other GPU from your friend or somewhere to test it in your rig. ( also do it for the RAM). And i have a question, those games which give you most BSODs, are they original games?

Yeah, i only play selected games, hence i buy original games. I just got a idea by your solution, don't have any friend who have decent graphic card but i can remove my current graphic card & use onbord graphics to check whether pc gives me BSOD or not, if it doesn't than it should be GPU. also i have 9400GT in my old pc so can i use that gpu? or it will create any new issue including bottelnacking  ?

10 minutes ago, GamerKing9 said:

Yeah, i only play selected games, hence i buy original games. I just got a idea by your solution, don't have any friend who have decent graphic card but i can remove my current graphic card & use onbord graphics to check whether pc gives me BSOD or not, if it doesn't than it should be GPU. also i have 9400GT in my old pc so can i use that gpu? or it will create any new issue including bottelnacking  ?

Use the iGPU.

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

Use the iGPU.

ok bro, i will google it for tut. i will let you know what happens next...

are turbo core function and all power saving functions ON ?

if yes, put them all OFF and try to play. I looked on google and 2 guys had the same issue as you and resolved it this way

1 hour ago, belfouf said:

are turbo core function and all power saving functions ON ?

if yes, put them all OFF and try to play. I looked on google and 2 guys had the same issue as you and resolved it this way

Turbo core is for AMD right? My power options are at High performance.

18 minutes ago, GamerKing9 said:

intel has turbo too i7 4790K is 4.00ghz, 4.4 turbo

http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

(put it manually to 4.4 fixed mode with 1.288v and reduce it to 1.26 if you can)

get rid of Q fan and other adjustable variables.

if you want help, post a photo of your BIOS options 

1 hour ago, GamerKing9 said:

It's a BIOS setting, not Windows Power Management.

7 hours ago, belfouf said:

intel has turbo too i7 4790K is 4.00ghz, 4.4 turbo

http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

(put it manually to 4.4 fixed mode with 1.288v and reduce it to 1.26 if you can)

get rid of Q fan and other adjustable variables.

if you want help, post a photo of your BIOS options 

These are pics of my BIOS screen & i changed boot performance mode to Turbo performance and checked it but still same issue.

IMG_20161013_000242.jpg

IMG_20161013_000334.jpg

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It's a BIOS setting, not Windows Power Management.

No power saving feature enabled in BIOS.

2 hours ago, GamerKing9 said:

These are pics of my BIOS screen & i changed boot performance mode to Turbo performance and checked it but still same issue.

IMG_20161013_000242.jpg

IMG_20161013_000334.jpg

I see you have only one DIM of RAM, and I have read the manual, you put it in the wrong slot.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/f9062_z97-pro.pdf

page 22

1 DIM = slot A2

also, CPU voltage is too low, I told you to add some more (put 1.288v on CPU voltage)

Slot changed, But here's a interesting thing happened...after putting ram in correct slot...powered on..motherboard gave error code 53 on led indicator with no display which is ram related error,i took ram stick out...cleaned it with microfiber cloth & put it back in slot A2, this time new error code 03....again i did same thing and my PC started as normal....but my question is, these errors can cause due to loose connection ? or RAM this is faulty ram?

Update : BSOD 124 while playing CS:GO, now moving to CPU voltage.

4 hours ago, GamerKing9 said:

Slot changed, But here's a interesting thing happened...after putting ram in correct slot...powered on..motherboard gave error code 53 on led indicator with no display which is ram related error,i took ram stick out...cleaned it with microfiber cloth & put it back in slot A2, this time new error code 03....again i did same thing and my PC started as normal....but my question is, these errors can cause due to loose connection ? or RAM this is faulty ram?

Update : BSOD 124 while playing CS:GO, now moving to CPU voltage.

You shouldn't be cleaning bare electronics with microfiber. If cleaning the contacts, use q-tip and light amount of rubbing alcohol. If cleaning the board, use an antistatic brush.

After moving your RAM and getting that first error, it could have been not properly seated or needs CMOS cleared just to be on the safe side.

Have you tried resetting your BIOS settings to default or "optimized default"?

I would look at getting everything to the factory settings. Even if that means factory reset of Windows. That's probably going to be the first thing, then make sure everything works.

But at this point, I would recommend a new MB and start over. I would start with that. You can keep trying but if something is failed or getting close to 100% failure, I wouldnt want that to cause damage to other components

before restarting my PC after moving my RAM, i cleared CMOS than my pc started normally, sorry i was forgot to mention that.

optimized default already tried. Also i already done factory reset of windows & tried playing games...gives me same error.

I already changed my motherboard once, should i replace it again? because its really not that easy, is there any other way to find out that specific component is problematic?

On 10/13/2016 at 3:02 AM, belfouf said:

I see you have only one DIM of RAM, and I have read the manual, you put it in the wrong slot.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/f9062_z97-pro.pdf

page 22

1 DIM = slot A2

also, CPU voltage is too low, I told you to add some more (put 1.288v on CPU voltage)

Good news...changed vcore to 1.28v on cpu vore & started MAFIA III again and wow....1 hour straight in game...no crash yet, before this game is crashing in 10-15 mins with BSOD 124....only one thing i am worried about that i checked NZXT CAM for update after quitting the game, found out that  processor temp. is 100c at some time which is really scary....should i lower vcore little bit? is there any safe voltage point because i think 100c is too much under load though i know i7 processors can handle up to 105c....so what do you guys think about this update? but i am so happy because no sign of bsod, testing with other games now.

Capture.PNG

6 minutes ago, GamerKing9 said:

Good news...changed vcore to 1.28v on cpu vore & started MAFIA III again and wow....1 hour straight in game...no crash yet, before this game is crashing in 10-15 mins with BSOD 124....only one thing i am worried about that i checked NZXT CAM for update after quitting the game, found out that  processor temp. is 100c at some time which is really scary....should i lower vcore little bit? is there any safe voltage point because i think 100c is too much under load though i know i7 processors can handle up to 105c....so what do you guys think about this update? but i am so happy because no sign of bsod, testing with other games now.

Capture.PNG

H110i ???? 39 min 100 max ????? problem here

what is your cooling profile ? PWM ? constant ? I cannot believe your cooler is performing so badly.

you can change thermal paste but before that you can :

try reducing the Vcore by 0,05 increment until it's not stable anymore

1.23 - test

1.18 - test

1.13 - test

when it's not stable anymore put the previous Vcore back

use OCCT to test stability

22 minutes ago, belfouf said:

H110i ???? 39 min 100 max ????? problem here

Is the pump even working properly?

That's probably been your problem. You can always check to make sure that you have good thermal paste on it. Also, I'd make sure you have no OC, and use the stock cooler if you still have it. Just to check and see if it's a cooler issue or something else.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Is the pump even working properly?

That's probably been your problem. You can always check to make sure that you have good thermal paste on it. Also, I'd make sure you have no OC, and use the stock cooler if you still have it. Just to check and see if it's a cooler issue or something else.

I think it's due to the fact that we increased Vcore and he chose bad thermal paste + lives in India + 900RPM fans on screenshot

8 minutes ago, belfouf said:

I think it's due to the fact that we increased Vcore and he chose bad thermal paste + lives in India + 900RPM fans on screenshot

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see anything...

What's the ambient air temp in India? This plays huge into being able to cool. You can't cool past ambient. And the higher ambient is, the harder it is to cool.

14 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see anything...

What's the ambient air temp in India? This plays huge into being able to cool. You can't cool past ambient. And the higher ambient is, the harder it is to cool.

Current ambient temperature is 28c at morning here and reaches 33c at afternoons due to October heat.