How do I wipe my hard drive to do a fresh windows install?

Mattsoup
Go to solution Solved by Russy,

Like the other members have said, it can be done during the Windows Installation. Select the Primary Drive, go to advanced then delete. There's no need to create a new partition, the installer will handle that for you.

Leave the system reserved there as it is your inbuilt system recovery

it should look something like this when finished:

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved

Drive 0 Partition 2: Unallocated

If you are not using a branded PC which comes with an inbuilt system recovery, go ahead and delete the System Reserved and install the OS onto the single partition which is left behind, would say:

Drive 0 Partition 1: Unallocated

Let me know if you've got any issues/questions - cheers!

PS: Download your NIC/LAN Drivers and save them on a USB or email them to yourself before you begin the installation just to make life easier.

During windows installation there is a choice to wipe drive.

You start the installation, when you get to this screen

Image result for windows install partitions

click everything and hit "delete" until only "unallocated space" is left (you cant delete that).

Then you select "unallocated space" and press next.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To wipe the drive and all partitions during installation hit shift and f10. This will open an elevated command prompt

Type the following

diskpart (wait for it to load diskpart)

list disk (Take note of the output)

select disk x (pay attention to the output from list disk, replace x with the drive number you wish to wipe and install Windows to)

clean

exit

exit

Refresh your drive list then continue the install.

Do as @enderman said, or use third party software to format it under Windows PE mode if you don't have installation disc around.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:11 AM, Cla55ifi3xd said:

Fair warning if  you have an external drive don't delete that partition. 

No other drives, internal or external, should be connected while installing windows.

Only the OS drive.

SO then there is 0 risk of deleting anything anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ingrid_W said:

Do as @enderman said, or use third party software to format it under Windows PE mode if you don't have installation disc around.

He said he's clean installing windows, and that step is part of the installation.

That means he needs a windows disk or USB drive to install windows in the first place.

So he doesn't need to format the drive beforehand, he can just begin the installation and do it at the screen I showed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Like the other members have said, it can be done during the Windows Installation. Select the Primary Drive, go to advanced then delete. There's no need to create a new partition, the installer will handle that for you.

Leave the system reserved there as it is your inbuilt system recovery

it should look something like this when finished:

Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved

Drive 0 Partition 2: Unallocated

If you are not using a branded PC which comes with an inbuilt system recovery, go ahead and delete the System Reserved and install the OS onto the single partition which is left behind, would say:

Drive 0 Partition 1: Unallocated

Let me know if you've got any issues/questions - cheers!

PS: Download your NIC/LAN Drivers and save them on a USB or email them to yourself before you begin the installation just to make life easier.

Dell Certified Engineer | Lenovo Qualified Service Technician | Toshiba Qualified Service Technician

CCENT Qualified Networking Technician