A question regarding the PS4 Pro

Xiauj

Hello all,

Just wanted to ask you guys something. When the PS4 Pro gets released (If it isn't already) ....... will that be able to support UHD/4k or not really? I've been looking online and I keep hearing about 4k this and 4k that etc.... but I was just curious if Sony really meant it when they said things about the PS4 Pro + UHD/4k + VR and all that stuff.

I have a 4k UHD monitor currently but the problem is that, I don't have the budget for a PS4 Pro, I have a regular PS4 at the moment and was hoping to experience UHD/4k if Sony really meant it, as mentioned.

Will they continue to push updates for regular PS4 consoles or do they (Sony) just not care for that anymore? :/ 

Would love some opinions!

Thanks,

~Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

So wait, you need a UHD Blu-Ray in order to play 4k but Sony isn't granting that for the PS4 Pro ..? Seriously?

So everyone just wants 4k for Movies/TV and not for Gaming? Harsh. >:(

Thanks Sony.. :(

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

It outputs at 4K, but it doesn't actually render at 4K.

What do you mean? What's the difference between Outputting/Rendering? How can you tell when looking at the monitor?

6 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

What do you mean? What's the difference between Outputting/Rendering? How can you tell when looking at the monitor?

It means that the games are rendered at a lower resolution then resized to 4K. It would be like playing a DVD on a 1080p screen. The DVD video isn't 1080p, it's still 480p, but the display is blowing up the image to fill the screen. Otherwise it would only take up like a quarter of the screen.

The only way to tell it's doing that is it's blurrier than it should be. Content running at the native resolution of the display is crisp. If it's too hard to tell, you can look for jaggies and make an estimate based on the slope.

17 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

It means that the games won't be at 4K: best case scenario, the (probably) 1080p game render will be upscaled to 4K (not nearly as good as true 4K, especially when done in real time). This all means that the games are 1080p, but 4K TVs are just compatible, compared to the older PS4. IF the games get upsampled, it doesn't look like 1080p anymore, but neither 4K for sure; if they're not, it's just a steal

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

54 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-snip-

53 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

-snip-

What about 1440p if not 4k ..? Can it (PS4 Games, not films/tv-shows etc..) at least handle that? Opinions?

I'll be very disappointed with Sony if a new console following on from the previous one can't handle 1440p AT LEAST... like, surely!

Just now, Xiauj said:

What about 1440p if not 4k ..? Can it (PS4 Games, not films/tv-shows etc..) at least handle that? Opinions?

I'll be very disappointed with Sony if a new console following on from the previous one can't handle 1440p AT LEAST... like, surely!

Eventho I said at least 1080p, I don't think it's going further than that. It'd be too much work to make all existing games compatible with 1440p, so I think they're just going to upsample the render off the GPU to get to 4K resolution-wise, but certainly not quality-wise. If you want to know a bit more about why it can't handle 4K games, there's this WAN show that should satisfy some of your questions.

As for 4K blu-rays (which to me seem really awesome, because they give crap to Netflix's compressed 4K), the PS4 Pro is officially not compatible with them, so unless you ripped them, you shouldn't be able to playback any true 4K media on that thing.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It outputs at 4K, but it doesn't actually render at 4K.

3 hours ago, Xiauj said:

So wait, you need a UHD Blu-Ray in order to play 4k but Sony isn't granting that for the PS4 Pro ..? Seriously?

It means the console only renders content at up to 1080p (maybe we'll see 1440p later, but I doubt it) and then upscales it to 4K.

IMO this is kind of pointless since your 4K TV more than likely supports upscaling 1080p sources to 4K anyway.

That said, the older PS4 only runs games at up to 960p, so you do indeed get another 120 lines of resolution before upscaling.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 10/11/2016 at 3:13 PM, kirashi said:

It means the console only renders content at up to 1080p (maybe we'll see 1440p later, but I doubt it) and then upscales it to 4K.

IMO this is kind of pointless since your 4K TV more than likely supports upscaling 1080p sources to 4K anyway.

That said, the older PS4 only runs games at up to 960p, so you do indeed get another 120 lines of resolution before upscaling.

It's "At Least 1080p" for one thing

but the other thing is the common angle sony is taking is checkerboard rendering with two offset 1080p frames, so its effectively half of 4k but a still image will be 3840x2160.

That said, the older PS4 only runs games at up to 960p

the original PS4 runs 99% of titles at 1920x1080, 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, Xiauj said:

so here's the gist of it...from what I know, the ps4pro does not support 4k bluray. it supports the output of 4k video. this essentially means that if you are streaming Netflix, youtube etc. and have good enough internet, you can watch video in 4k.
now the other half of it, and the big question, where is the 4k gaming? when will that happen?

think of this from a business standpoint. To build a 4k ready system on a pc, its going to cost around 1400-1600 bucks right now including windows but excluding a monitor. and that will just make the cut with the gtx 1080 and a fat overclock. so lets (for math reasons) say 1500 USD equals a 4k 60hz ready gaming machine. how, if sony is to make a profit, just as all the pc component producers do, how can they pump out a 4k ready machine at a sub 500 dollar price point. simply put; it's just not possible. the ps4 and xbox1 are much better optimized but optimization only goes so far. there simply isn't anywhere near enough hardware power in consoles to pump out 4k gaming. 4k console gaming is lightyears...or a 1200 dollar console away.

TL;DR

ps4pro can stream 4k videos off of Netflix/youtube etc.
cannot play at 4k because hardware isn't nearly strong enough

if that's what youre into, build a pc <3

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:30 PM, Xiauj said:

the highest any console hits resolution wise right now is 1080p 60hz and that is only for some games. some games for the xbox1 and ps4 are locked at as low as 720p 30hz. 1440p has 1.78x as many pixels as 1080p. although it doesn't scale directly, to keep it simple, it would have to be roughly 1.78x more computing power to handle 1440p.

1 minute ago, lettuce head said:

-snip-

Yeah, I can definitely agree with that especially when things like profits/Sony's sales etc.. are taken into consideration. I mean yeah ok it would be very awesome if any possible, cheaper/viable options that support 4k came along but yeah, I don't reckon it will be an option for at least the next 5-7 Years in my opinion at least. Who knows; it could be next year or the year after but, I don't think it will :/

Do you think 1440p however.... could become a possibility for Console Gamers in say the next I dunno; 2-4 Years or 5-6 Years perhaps?

If Sony or Xbox are ever able to produce that even if it's 30Hz-60Hz, that would be a nice improvement for those who of course cannot afford a Gaming PC.

I'll probably stick with my current PS4 and perhaps consider a PC-Upgrade or new PC for ___p/__Hz Gaming, can't decide between the two atm lol but I hope to find a solution soon-ish :PxD

3 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

some games for the xbox1 and ps4 are locked at as low as 720p 30hz.

Yeah very true, but that's only for some certain games really. I can't really give a good example of this but, yeah.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Yeah, I can definitely agree with that especially when things like profits/Sony's sales etc.. are taken into consideration. I mean yeah ok it would be very awesome if any possible, cheaper/viable options that support 4k came along but yeah, I don't reckon it will be an option for at least the next 5-7 Years in my opinion at least. Who knows; it could be next year or the year after but, I don't think it will :/

Do you think 1440p however.... could become a possibility for Console Gamers in say the next I dunno; 2-4 Years or 5-6 Years perhaps?

If Sony or Xbox are ever able to produce that even if it's 30Hz-60Hz, that would be a nice improvement for those who of course cannot afford a Gaming PC.

I'll probably stick with my current PS4 and perhaps consider a PC-Upgrade or new PC for ___p/__Hz Gaming, can't decide between the two atm lol but I hope to find a solution soon-ish :PxD

Yeah very true, but that's only for some certain games really. I can't really give a good example of this but, yeah.

honestly a 1440p 60hz rig will run you (with a 1070 and a 6400/6600k) like 800 bucks without a monitor which is really not bad.
I would like to see consoles have a very premium version of the consoles. maybe a "+" model, with vastly superior hardware at a much higher pricepoint that could handle 2k 60hz gameplay. I probably wouldn't have built another pc a week ago if that was a thing.

I don't think a 2k console will happen until the ps5 is a thing tbh. For TV's at least, 2k isn't really a thing. it exits but its mostly either full hd or OMGITS4KMOMCOMELOOKHOWPRETTYEVENTHOUGHMYTVONLYHAS1080I.

9 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

honestly a 1440p 60hz rig will run you (with a 1070 and a 6400/6600k) like 800 bucks without a monitor which is really not bad.

Lol yup xD Well like I said, PC-Upgrade or New PC is what I'll be aiming for to try and hit 1080p or maybe 1440p, depends if my old rig can handle the GPU of choice.

I don't think a 2k console will happen until the ps5 is a thing tbh.

If I had to guess, I would say that the PS5 (If it will even be called that, that is..) won't be released for another I dunno; 4(?) 5(?) years :dry:

I would like to see consoles have a very premium version of the consoles. maybe a "+" model, with vastly superior hardware at a much higher pricepoint that could handle 2k 60hz gameplay.

That would be a very nice yet somewhat and perhaps profitable(?) concept/idea for both Sony and Xbox to be fair, I for one would love to see something similar to this in the next few years if of course they decide to do so.

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Lol yup xD Well like I said, PC-Upgrade or New PC is what I'll be aiming for to try and hit 1080p or maybe 1440p, depends if my old rig can handle the GPU of choice.

If I had to guess, I would say that the PS5 (If it will even be called that, that is..) won't be released for another I dunno; 4(?) 5(?) years :dry:

That would be a very nice yet somewhat and perhaps profitable(?) concept/idea for both Sony and Xbox to be fair, I for one would love to see something similar to this in the next few years if of course they decide to do so.

idk if physical media can handle that amount of memory on a disk personally. if it can at a decent cost to produce, I'd be super into it.

Just now, lettuce head said:

idk if physical media can handle that amount of memory on a disk personally. if it can at a decent cost to produce, I'd be super into it.

You mean so that the game can run 1080p/1440p..?

This might sound odd but would a download from like the PSN-Store/Xbox-Store handle it as opposed to a disk version of [SAID_GAME] for [SAID_RESOLUTION] ....?

Either way it would be quite expensive but it would also be beneficial in some ways in my opinion.

Just now, Xiauj said:

You mean so that the game can run 1080p/1440p..?

This might sound odd but would a download from like the PSN-Store/Xbox-Store handle it as opposed to a disk version of [SAID_GAME] for [SAID_RESOLUTION] ....?

Either way it would be quite expensive but it would also be beneficial in some ways in my opinion.

the higher res. would mean that there would be a much larger download size as well as a much bigger chunk of memory that would be on the disk itself. but if it ere to be downloaded onto the hdd of the console it would bypass that problem completely.

I do however, like the idea of having a physical media though.