Sudden FPS Drop

Simply.RCC
Go to solution Solved by belfouf,
21 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

I just think if i change to a bigger monitor my card wont be virtually scalling to a 1080p resolution.which it naturally supports?

About dota2, at my current setting w/ the 1080p resolution i think i got 40-58 ish fps and w/o dropping to 10.. its not yet confirmed to be ok cause i just tested it with AI or bots and not with real ingame

if your screen is not 1080p, yes you can change it but no, the video card will not work less

dota 2 : you're not alone : https://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/492378806375807169/

if 1920x1080 is worse than 1600x900, then lower configuration. If min config at 1080 is still worse, go back to 1600x900, but keep in mind this issue is only with dota 2

5 minutes ago, belfouf said:

first time you posted monitored BF4, it was at 1920x1080 right ? 

second time you chose 1600x900 right ?

I asked you to look the tutorial on the link http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/VSR.aspx that allows to choose 2560x1440 resolution un game

When i first post my monitoring my resolution is 1360x900 ish..

Then after that i followed the instruction with vsr.. then i got a maximum resolution of 1920x1080

1 hour ago, Simply.RCC said:

When i first post my monitoring my resolution is 1360x900 ish..

Then after that i followed the instruction with vsr.. then i got a maximum resolution of 1920x1080

ohhhkeyyyy sorry

then try 1920x1080 please, monitor, and do the same on DOTA2

40 minutes ago, belfouf said:

ohhhkeyyyy sorry

then try 1920x1080 please, monitor, and do the same on DOTA2

Ive tried using the 1920x1080 resolution in dota2 and the graphics dont look good, the duration of the fps drops took longer to go back to 70+ fps that before.. but in other games it looks fine.

But i havent try to add power just like you said

8 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

Ive tried using the 1920x1080 resolution in dota2 and the graphics dont look good, the duration of the fps drops took longer to go back to 70+ fps that before.. but in other games it looks fine.

But i havent try to add power just like you said

ok but please do anyway and monitor

I'm interested in GPU use % and CPU use %

12 minutes ago, belfouf said:

ok but please do anyway and monitor

I'm interested in GPU use % and CPU use %

What should i do next?

Increasing the memory & clock of my card?

Before monitoring the CPU & GPU %?

4 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

What should i do next?

Increasing the memory & clock of my card?

Before monitoring the CPU & GPU %?

no, don't touch anything more on clocks, just play and monitor to let me know if your GPU/CPU workload is normal. The best you can do is monitor in game as you did previously + screenshot of MSI afterburner graphs with GPU use  if you still have it installed (launch it before you start the game)

43 minutes ago, belfouf said:

no, don't touch anything more on clocks, just play and monitor to let me know if your GPU/CPU workload is normal. The best you can do is monitor in game as you did previously + screenshot of MSI afterburner graphs with GPU use  if you still have it installed (launch it before you start the game)

What games should i test? Battle field and DOTA2 with the highest resolution i can get?

3 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

What games should i test? Battle field and DOTA2 with the highest resolution i can get?

yep

5 hours ago, belfouf said:

yep

Hi this my results while playing bf4 in 1920x1080

20161018_233139.jpg

20161018_233018.jpg

1 minute ago, Simply.RCC said:

Hi this my results while playing bf4 in 1920x1080

20161018_233139.jpg

20161018_233018.jpg

ok, this is a perfect -normal- situation. keep playing like this, because as you can see the work is loaded at 100% on GPU and the CPU load is 46% !!! no bottleneck anymore !!! 

About DOTA 2, keep this resolution and if you have fps issues lower some settings like antialiasing or stuff and it will be okay

simple explanation

you're playing a game and you lowered the resolution too much :

your graphic card doesn't need to work hard and send a lot of fps to your CPU. It's working at 50%load. Your CPU is loaded with a lot of task to do to render the fps (80%). If the game becomes too intensive, the workload the CPU has to do aside the GPU cannot be done because CPU is saturated with fps load (and so goes to 100% and you have 15fps). When you go to higher resolutions, the GPU works at 100%, and the CPU only 45%. This way, when CPu has to work beside GPU, it can, and you don't have fps drops anymore.

conclusion : go to 1080p and if you find to lack a few fps, lower settings, not resolution

3 minutes ago, belfouf said:

simple explanation

you're playing a game and you lowered the resolution too much :

your graphic card doesn't need to work hard and send a lot of fps to your CPU. It's working at 50%load. Your CPU is loaded with a lot of task to do to render the fps (80%). If the game becomes too intensive, the workload the CPU has to do aside the GPU cannot be done because CPU is saturated with fps load (and so goes to 100% and you have 15fps). When you go to higher resolutions, the GPU works at 100%, and the CPU only 45%. This way, when CPu has to work beside GPU, it can, and you don't have fps drops anymore.

conclusion : go to 1080p and if you find to lack a few fps, lower settings, not resolution

Do i need to change my monitor now? ecause i thinks its 18 - 20 inch (cant be sure) that  cause to have low resolution? and its an old version of AOC monitor.

about dota2. my settings in dota2 is only medium and no antialiasing, is it safe to say that the has issues?

2 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

Do i need to change my monitor now? ecause i thinks its 18 - 20 inch (cant be sure) that  cause to have low resolution? and its an old version of AOC monitor.

about dota2. my settings in dota2 is only medium and no antialiasing, is it safe to say that the has issues?

why would you need to change your monitor ? it is irrelevant, and if you like it, keep it. It can be 18-20 inch and be Full HD (1080p), nothing wrong here.

About Dota 2, I think you are experimenting driver issues, related to R9 27x models (you're not the only one on internet). All we can do is do the best improving the lowest fps you have ( instead of 70 fps average 15 min having 60 fps average 30 min is better isn't it ?) and to do so, Experiment different settings, but always in 1080p

1 hour ago, belfouf said:

why would you need to change your monitor ? it is irrelevant, and if you like it, keep it. It can be 18-20 inch and be Full HD (1080p), nothing wrong here.

About Dota 2, I think you are experimenting driver issues, related to R9 27x models (you're not the only one on internet). All we can do is do the best improving the lowest fps you have ( instead of 70 fps average 15 min having 60 fps average 30 min is better isn't it ?) and to do so, Experiment different settings, but always in 1080p

I just think if i change to a bigger monitor my card wont be virtually scalling to a 1080p resolution.which it naturally supports?

About dota2, at my current setting w/ the 1080p resolution i think i got 40-58 ish fps and w/o dropping to 10.. its not yet confirmed to be ok cause i just tested it with AI or bots and not with real ingame

21 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

if your screen is not 1080p, yes you can change it but no, the video card will not work less

dota 2 : you're not alone : https://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/492378806375807169/

if 1920x1080 is worse than 1600x900, then lower configuration. If min config at 1080 is still worse, go back to 1600x900, but keep in mind this issue is only with dota 2

On 10/19/2016 at 2:08 AM, belfouf said:

Hi sorry for the late response been busy for the past few days.

As of today I've been playing on the current 1080p setup of DOTA2 and so far my fps count is good it ranges from 50-60 sometime go up to 120 fps, i have some games that has still fps drop but most of my games today don't have fps drops.

unlike before every game has fps drops every 2-5 minutes.

I would like to thank you for patience on helping me.

does this forum have + button or reps.? i can give you?

19 hours ago, Simply.RCC said:

Hi sorry for the late response been busy for the past few days.

As of today I've been playing on the current 1080p setup of DOTA2 and so far my fps count is good it ranges from 50-60 sometime go up to 120 fps, i have some games that has still fps drop but most of my games today don't have fps drops.

unlike before every game has fps drops every 2-5 minutes.

I would like to thank you for patience on helping me.

does this forum have + button or reps.? i can give you?

glad to know you're finally having fun. Thank you for your message :)

12 hours ago, belfouf said:

glad to know you're finally having fun. Thank you for your message :)

Hi me again just a curious question about GPU.

If I will buy a ASUS Strix 1060 6gb OC. will my processor bottleneck the GPU?

because some of my friends is suggesting me this card?

thanks 

5 hours ago, Simply.RCC said:

Hi me again just a curious question about GPU.

If I will buy a ASUS Strix 1060 6gb OC. will my processor bottleneck the GPU?

because some of my friends is suggesting me this card?

thanks 

if you overclock your 8150 to 4Ghz then you won't have problems. If you can't your 1060 will run slowlier than it could (light bottleneck)

55 minutes ago, belfouf said:

if you overclock your 8150 to 4Ghz then you won't have problems. If you can't your 1060 will run slowlier than it could (light bottleneck)

So if i can make my 8150 to run at 4GHZ, it won't be a big bottleneck for the 1060. hmm.  i haven't overclocked a processor yet.

is there a tutorial or value that i will just set just to make it 4ghz?

8 minutes ago, Simply.RCC said:

So if i can make my 8150 to run at 4GHZ, it won't be a big bottleneck for the 1060. hmm.  i haven't overclocked a processor yet.

is there a tutorial or value that i will just set just to make it 4ghz?

it will depend of your motherboard, yes many tutorials to guide you there

http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocking-guide-performance-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming