[Updated] Samsung officially kills Note 7 permanently

Master Disaster

Update

South Korean tech giant Samsung has permanently ceased production of its high-end Galaxy Note 7 smartphones after reports of devices it had deemed safe catching fire.

The firm had already reduced Galaxy Note 7 production volumes.

Owners are expected to be able to return the phones for a refund or an exchange for a different Samsung phone.

The firm had earlier said it would stop sales of the phone.

Samsung recalled 2.5 million phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries, and later insisted that all replaced devices were safe.

"We recently readjusted the production volume for thorough investigation and quality control, but putting consumer safety as top priority, we have reached a final decision to halt production of Galaxy Note 7s," the company said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37618618

So that's that, the Note 7 is officially dead. 

Original Post - Samsung ask Note 7 users to switch off devices and stop using them

Original Post - Samsung ask Note 7 users to switch off devices and stop using them

Within the last few hours Samsung have done a 180 u turn on their previous stance and instead of claiming the Note 7 is safe they are now urging anyone with a Note 7 (even a "safe" replacement) to switch if off and stop using it while they investigate new claims of exploding batteries. 

South Korean tech giant Samsung has urged owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off its high-end smartphone while it investigates new reports of the device catching fire.

The firm also said it would stop all sales of the phone.

Samsung recalled 2.5 million phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries, and later insisted that all replaced devices were safe.

But there are now reports that even those phones were catching fire.

A man in Kentucky said he woke up to a bedroom full of smoke from a replaced Note 7, days after a domestic flight in the US was evacuated after a new device started emitting smoke in the cabin.

"Because consumers' safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place," the company said.

"Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available," it added.

As late as Monday evening a spokeswoman insisted the phones were safe to use.

Korean media are claiming Samsung will not put the phone back on sale after this recent speight of device failures, it's still unclear how they will compensate Note 7 owners however. 

South Korean media reports suggest the company is likely to stop selling the phone permanently.

The problems for Samsung come at a crucial time for the firm, technology analyst Andrew Milroy of Frost & Sullivan told the BBC.

"Samsung had been making a comeback against its rivals. This catastrophic product fault will seriously damage its competitive position in the smart phone market," he said.

Jake Saunders of ABI research said the situation for Samsung was now "very serious" with "the consequences beginning to snowball".

"The concern now will be the knock-on consequences on the reputation of the brand."

Consumer tech analyst Caroline Milanesi of Creative Strategies told the BBC that Samsung should "call it a day" on production of the Galaxy Note 7 to limit long-term risk to the brand.

However, South Korea's finance minister has warned that the country's exports would be hurt if the phone model is scrapped altogether.

"Right now we can't tell what the impact will be in the long term. It's up to the company and the government cannot interfere," said Yoo Il-ho. "But if they do scrap the model, it will have a negative impact on exports."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37614770

Excellent stuff Samsung, it's only taken you almost a week to admit the new devices are also exploding and to issue advice which is frankly useless considering we already know one of your replacement devices exploded while it was powered down and not in use.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So T-Mobile and AT&T have officially done a program to refund all Note 7's and give $25 dollar credit on the customer's bill.

I'm pretty certain that my Note 7 isn't going to spontaneously combust. But the fact that there's now a 2nd recall is making me more and more paranoid every waking moment.

I woke up yesterday morning to the smell of someone burning their toast downstairs and it legit gave me a panic attack because I thought it was my phone burning my old wood nightstand.

I'm waiting for Verizon to follow suit. I hope I can just go back to my old flip phone and cancel the contract or revert. I'm not trading for a different smartphone. I waited years for a worthy device to replace my Samsung Zeal.

If Samsung releases a revised version of the Note in the future, I'll gladly give it another shot. The phone is absolutely phenomenal aside from the fire hazard.

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

So T-Mobile and AT&T have officially done a program to refund all Note 7's and give $25 dollar credit on the customer's bill.

I'm pretty certain that my Note 7 isn't going to spontaneously combust. But the fact that there's now a 2nd recall is making me more and more paranoid every waking moment.

I woke up yesterday morning to the smell of someone burning their toast downstairs and it legit gave me a panic attack because I thought it was my phone burning my old wood nightstand.

I'm waiting for Verizon to follow suit. I hope I can just go back to my old flip phone and cancel the contract or revert. I'm not trading for a different smartphone. I waited years for a worthy device to replace my Samsung Zeal.

If Samsung releases a revised version of the Note in the future, I'll gladly give it another shot. The phone is absolutely phenomenal aside from the fire hazard.

This phone is phenomenal except it can RANDOMLY KILL YOU O3o

Pretty decisive drawback if you ask me

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

55 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Update : Samsung completely stopped manufacturing the phone.

RIP

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

44 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

RIP

Rest in pepperoni :(

29 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Samsung right now:

hiding.gif

I don't know that. It's funny but I don't think it's that true. They aren't hiding the fact that something is wrong in their whole production line. Well, that's what I understood, at least. 

Suggestion: quickly buy one and sell it on Ebay for 10.000$ in a year or two

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

9 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Suggestion: quickly buy one and sell it on Ebay for 10.000$ in a year or two

Ya if it dose not set your home on fire first.

All that R&D

money-down-toilet.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Please don't hold on to a Note 7 for nostalgia's sake.  The phone can catch fire when you're not doing anything with it.  Take some souvenir photos, box it up and exchange it for another device.

lol so instead of trying to fix the exploding battery, they are just killing it off.  I doubt they'll release a phone under the Galaxy Note name again.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

All that R&D

money-down-toilet.jpg

So true, its not just R&D either, they've had to fork out for the original recall, manufacturing the replacement devices, shipping the replacement devices and now they've got to recall every single Note 7 out in the wild too.

I'm guessing here but I reckon this will cost Samsung billions when its all finished, with the costs of the debacle, any lawsuits that may come and the inevitable decline in stock price.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, pk-man said:

lol so instead of trying to fix the exploding battery, they are just killing it off.  I doubt they'll release a phone under the Galaxy Note name again.

Yeah, I also think the brand name "Note" is dead, sadly enough.