Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevin11

Ultimate Audio Challenge

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have two monitors with built-in speakers. I want right sound to come out of the right monitor and left sound to come out of the left monitor. Is this possible or is this an impossible challenge? Right now I'm using voicemeeter to have monosound come out of both so I know the sound works fine on both, i just need to set them to right and left speaker somehow

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

How are you sending audio?

 

If you using trs 3.5mm cables you can make a little adapter very easy.

 

two hdmi cables

Link to post
Share on other sites

you could probably use VSThost in combination with virtual audio cable to split the audio between the two monitors, but that will add latency. I have personally used VSThost, and it works, but when combined with virtual audio cable there is just too much latency imo


hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

 

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

 

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

you could probably use VSThost in combination with virtual audio cable to split the audio between the two monitors, but that will add latency. I have personally used VSThost, and it works, but when combined with virtual audio cable there is just too much latency imo

 

this would allow me to have only left sound come from left speaker and only right sound come from right speaker to give a dual speaker feel to my dual monitor setup? voicemeeter works great for just giving the same sound out of both

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kevin11 said:

this would allow me to have only left sound come from left speaker and only right sound come from right speaker to give a dual speaker feel to my dual monitor setup? voicemeeter works great for just giving the same sound out of both

I think so, if you can find a vst plugin that turns the left channel into mono, then output to your left monitor (save as a preset) and run another vsthost window (probably a different install location as well so the presets dont collide with each other) with the audio from the right and output to your right monitor that should work. You would use voicemeeter as your input in the vst windows and use the hdmi outputs as well.


hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

 

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

 

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

no offense but: seriously - buy some speakers :-)

chances that even the crappiest speakers are gonna sound 10 times better than the built in ones are actually pretty good, as in 101% chance :-)

 

please don't flame me, I'm sensible :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

no offense but: seriously - buy some speakers :-)

chances that even the crappiest speakers are gonna sound 10 times better than the built in ones are actually pretty good, as in 101% chance :-)

 

please don't flame me, I'm sensible :-)

 

Actually the speakers are really, really good in the Asus monitors. The bass is amazing. And a setup is a lot cleaner without speakers. Last time I had speakers, I had surround sound and my cats kept destroying the cords, not really trying to deal with that again lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

I think so, if you can find a vst plugin that turns the left channel into mono, then output to your left monitor (save as a preset) and run another vsthost window (probably a different install location as well so the presets dont collide with each other) with the audio from the right and output to your right monitor that should work. You would use voicemeeter as your input in the vst windows and use the hdmi outputs as well.

 

thanks for the help! I'll set this up later and let you know how it turns out

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kevin11 said:

Actually the speakers are really, really good in the Asus monitors. The bass is amazing. And a setup is a lot cleaner without speakers. Last time I had speakers, I had surround sound and my cats kept destroying the cords, not really trying to deal with that again lol

yeah well "cat-proof" involves a wired electrical fence which is sort of not ideal in an office environment. hinthint: the Bose Music Monitors are made of aluminium and are therefore cat-proof. besides the cables of course. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great job for a mixer.

 

L/R in together from computer/ L to left monitor, R to right monitor. 

 

The only problem I see is that if the monitor has two speakers, they probably work in stereo, so if you only send L audio to it, only the L speaker will work. But if you have a mixer you should be able to switch the audio stereo in software (no latency, windows can do it easily) use multiple audio outputs and mix them back together to get a right "mono" and left "mono" source for each monitor.

 

Unless, of course, you can switch the monitor over to "mono" mode. That'd make things REALLY easy. At that point you could do it with some wire strippers and a soldering iron. But aux cables are typically a PITA to solder because they use coated wires. 

 

I'm not an expert in this, but if the monitors don't have amplifiers you may run into issues driving so many speakers from a single audio port. 

 

 

EDIT: Wait, does your motherboard have 5.1 or 7.1 audio ports? In that case it'd just be plugging the R monitor into the R port and the L monitor into the left port.

 

If the answer to the question is no, then the easiest way to do this would probably be to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 audio card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×