RDR_FILE_SYSTEM BSOD With VLC?

TheGuyWhoCodes

Random times when playing video in VLC I'll blue screen with the error RDR_FILE_SYSTEM. Only happens in VLC, not Groove nor Windows Media Player. Here are my specs:

i7 3820

Sapphire 7970 

16gb of RAM 

2TB Segate Barracuda + 840 Evo

I have updated the latest everything in drivers

Here is the dump from BlueScreenView:

==================================================
Dump File         : 100916-14562-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 10/9/2016 11:34:26 AM
Bug Check String  : RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000027
Parameter 1       : 00000000`fcb0027c
Parameter 2       : ffffbb8c`a94d13d8
Parameter 3       : ffffbb8c`a94d1010
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : rdbss.sys
Caused By Address : rdbss.sys+fd19
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+14a2b0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100916-14562-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 8
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 14393
Dump File Size    : 459,108
Dump File Time    : 10/9/2016 11:35:21 AM
==================================================

There are several things it could be, just make sure you don't get stressed or worried about what I'm you are about to see, although it can seem daunting and trigger anxiety to fix the problem, the best way to troubleshoot is to stay calm, and stay curious. 

You have not stated which version of Windows you are running.  If it is Windows 7 this was once a common problem and was fixed in an update. I highly suggest updating Windows often as it can fix bugs and patch critical security flaws.

If you are running Windows 10 it could be several things, one is it could be a driver.  If you upgraded from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10, try and degrade back or fresh install Windows 10 and use Windows motherboard drivers (Windows 10 will often download the best ones.) Or it could be a hardware problem.

There is a chance it could be hardware, most likely your SSD or your Memory.  Usually those are culprits, the best way to check your SSD is using a SMART, I see you have an 840 EVO, in the Samsung Magician software there is a SMART utility which can be found on the main screen, and can allow you to view any errors on the drive.  Memory can be tested using a piece of software called Memtest86, it is an iso that you burn to a DVD or a USB drive and boot from it, it does take some time to find errors.  While some people suggest running it for long periods, at this stage you should focus on other things before running memtest.  If it was a memory issue you would most likely get this in other places, none the less, run it for about 3 hours and see if it finds any errors. Unfortunately it's impossible for memtest86 to fix memory issues, but it can detect them.

Since there isn't that much info on the whole computer, the Windows version and what you were doing exactly at the time, it's difficult to come up with a solid guess of what is going on here, so make sure to test out everything and report back your results. Remember to stay curious, and also make sure to take EVERYTHING into account, blue screens are significant, and often aren't caused by things like third party software. 

On 10/12/2016 at 8:36 PM, Mike_The_B0ss said:

There are several things it could be, just make sure you don't get stressed or worried about what I'm you are about to see, although it can seem daunting and trigger anxiety to fix the problem, the best way to troubleshoot is to stay calm, and stay curious. 

You have not stated which version of Windows you are running.  If it is Windows 7 this was once a common problem and was fixed in an update. I highly suggest updating Windows often as it can fix bugs and patch critical security flaws.

If you are running Windows 10 it could be several things, one is it could be a driver.  If you upgraded from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10, try and degrade back or fresh install Windows 10 and use Windows motherboard drivers (Windows 10 will often download the best ones.) Or it could be a hardware problem.

There is a chance it could be hardware, most likely your SSD or your Memory.  Usually those are culprits, the best way to check your SSD is using a SMART, I see you have an 840 EVO, in the Samsung Magician software there is a SMART utility which can be found on the main screen, and can allow you to view any errors on the drive.  Memory can be tested using a piece of software called Memtest86, it is an iso that you burn to a DVD or a USB drive and boot from it, it does take some time to find errors.  While some people suggest running it for long periods, at this stage you should focus on other things before running memtest.  If it was a memory issue you would most likely get this in other places, none the less, run it for about 3 hours and see if it finds any errors. Unfortunately it's impossible for memtest86 to fix memory issues, but it can detect them.

Since there isn't that much info on the whole computer, the Windows version and what you were doing exactly at the time, it's difficult to come up with a solid guess of what is going on here, so make sure to test out everything and report back your results. Remember to stay curious, and also make sure to take EVERYTHING into account, blue screens are significant, and often aren't caused by things like third party software. 

I did 6 passes on MemTest and it came back with no errors, SMART says everything is doing good, drivers are up to date. I then tried another nic instead of the mobo one and it displayed the same BSOD. 

56 minutes ago, TheGuyWhoCodes said:

I did 6 passes on MemTest and it came back with no errors, SMART says everything is doing good, drivers are up to date. I then tried another nic instead of the mobo one and it displayed the same BSOD. 

Probably is drivers or the motherboard. You have got all your drivers right correct?  It might be worthwhile reinstalling Windows and just using the drivers from the disk.   This might give you some indication of whether it is drivers or the motherboard itself.  Another good thing to try is using Linux and then see if the system crashes at all.