When will MP3 die out.

kuddlesworth9419

I really want to know when MP3 will die out and why it hasn't already. We already have really good alternatives, eg FLAC and there is no storage limit on portable devices. I hate MP3 to it's very core. Can anyone tell me a reason why it's still around.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I mean 320kb isn't that awful, especially for mobile where it doesn't matter as much. 

Error: 410

Because not everyone has fiber going to their house yet and they can't tell the difference between 192Kbps MP3s and Lossless codecs because both the encoders (such as LAME) are MUCH better and because modern pop music has no dynamic range left anyways.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

FLAC ftw. It should be an option in any music player.

But to be honest 320kbps mp3 is pretty good. I can't tell much of a difference. Also file sizes.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Seeing that most headphones,  including headphones that cost upwards of $3000, do not make use of loseless audio codecs.

Wait for apple to make ALAC a thing in their apple store then everyone else will soon follow with better ways to buy FLAC on a wider scale.

I mean 320kb isn't that awful, especially for mobile where it doesn't matter as much. 

It isn't awful but it doesn't sound as good as FLAC.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Because not everyone has fiber going to their house yet and they can't tell the difference between 192Kbps MP3s and Lossless codecs because both the encoders (such as LAME) are MUCH better and because modern pop music has no dynamic range left anyways.

It doesn't take much longer than 20 seconds to download a track in FLAC. Files that are around 20MB that is. I download tracks all the time, as long as the website is good and fast there is no problem. My internet speeds by the way are terrible and I have no problem downloading FLAC. 8Mb down and 0.90Mb up.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

FLAC ftw. It should be an option in any music player.

But to be honest 320kbps mp3 is pretty good. I can't tell much of a difference. Also file sizes.

20MB song isn't all that bad. If you have a TB of storage you will be fine. And seeing as it's really easy to get a 4TB HDD there really is no problem. Even for portable devices which have plenty of storage already. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Seeing that most headphones,  including headphones that cost upwards of $3000, do not make use of loseless audio codecs.

FLAC still sounds better than 320 kbps MP3 even if you don't have headphones that don't make use of lossless codecs. £100 + headphones, sound card and FLAC sounds better than MP3 anyday. Is there a big difference between £3000 headphones and £100 headphones. I would actually like to know as I have never tried any. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Mp3 will die when high bitrate or lossless audio can be streamed straight from the net to a portable device very cheaply.  Some people already don't buy music because they just stream from internet radio or playlist apps, but they are usually too compressed and current data limits on mobile net are too limiting.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Because it works perfectly fine and there is absolutely no reason to move away from it.

Agreed, most sensible answer......it's not going the way of the Dodo simply because it works, and it works well enough for a vast majority of people.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Agreed, most sensible answer......it's not going the way of the Dodo simply because it works, and it works well enough for a vast majority of people.

But the majority of people are ignorant to FLAC. If they heard it then they would never want to go back to MP3.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

320kbps mp3 is good enough for most people. i know all my friends arent even listening to music that high of a bitrate and have awful audio equipment.
if you font have the equipment for flac why would you bother having an entire library of it wasting all your hard drive space?
FLAC isnt for everyone and all situations. MP3 might get replaced by something eventually but it wont be a high end soluition like flac

I use Spotify anyways. Why would FLAC or anything else make me move away from the convenience of music streaming?

FLAC still sounds better than 320 kbps MP3 even if you don't have headphones that don't make use of lossless codecs. £100 + headphones, sound card and FLAC sounds better than MP3 anyday. Is there a big difference between £3000 headphones and £100 headphones. I would actually like to know as I have never tried any. 

There is a night and day difference between my 7506's and SR-007's, and guess what, neither of those headphones have the ability to make use of a lossless codec. While some songs can have a profound change when switching codecs, %99 of the time there is zero measurable difference. 

Woah dude - quadruple post.  :blink:

Who needs multiquote when....

I use Spotify anyways. Why would FLAC or anything else make me move away from the convenience of music streaming?

Data plans and streaming high quality music are like two things that do not go together.

The only reason why compressions exists... bandwidth and file sizes.

MP3 although being inferior in sound quality have much smaller file sizes and people can store more of them in the same space, same with JPEGs and other compressed file formats. Remember that people not only store these things but they also send, share and upload music, pictures, videos and without compression that wouldn't be quite slow and inefficient.

I'm convinced the vast majority claiming to hear a big difference between a properly encoded MP3 (Lame, high bitrate) and lossless would fail an ABX test, even with good gear. If your ears aren't trained to spot compression artefacts, there's almost no way you can hear a difference.

However, I found that when listening to MP3's for hours my ears get tired much earlier than they would if I listened to lossless, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Anyway, I always use lossless whenever possible because storage isn't an issue for me.

MP3's will die the day fast internet is available absolutely everywhere. Maybe.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

I'm convinced the vast majority claiming to hear a big difference between a properly encoded MP3 (Lame, high bitrate) and lossless would fail an ABX test, even with good gear. If your ears aren't trained to spot compression artefacts, there's almost no way you can hear a difference.

Also I have noticed you can mask some of the compression artifacts by ripping vinyl or any track with a highly audible noise floor. I haven't really looked into why but it seems to make it harder to hear the difference.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Mission accomplished guys. On to the next thread!

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Mission accomplished guys. On to the next thread!

Your only saying that because there is a rumor the next thread contains taco pie.