NEED HELP: Samsung S6 Black Screen, Blue PULSING Light

Hi everyone, I need some help on how to get my phone working again!

I dropped my phone from waist height onto wood floor (gym). There's no exterior damage at all because it wasn't a very high drop. My phone case if quite rubbery and protective and it has a glass screen protector. When I picked it up, it wouldn't turn on. I pressed and held the power button and then the blue LED came on, pulsing and smoothly transitioning between blue and cyan. It's been doing this for about 3 hours now.

I tried all the button combinations, but they don't work, they don't do anything screen remains black and the blue LED stays on. However, while holding down the power UP and HOME and POWER buttons, I see that the screen flashes on extremely dimly for a millisecond before going away and flashing on again about 5 sec later, almost like a bootloop except not even a logo appearing.

I tried plugging it into the computer and the computer would recognize that a Galaxy S6 is plugged in but I can't open it and browse any files.

If I tried plugging it into the charge, sometimes doing the power UP, HOME and POWER would shut off the blue light and if I wait a little while (as if the phone's booting up but no display), the phone starts charging and the red charging LED shows up and the charger gets hot. However, at that point, if I press the power or home at all, it once again does one of those super dim flashes and shuts off and goes back to the blue light.

Can anyone please help or give me some advice on where to go to get this fixed? Thanks.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

In dropping your S6 you might have accidentally dislodged the internal display connector where it connects to your phones motherboard.

Not being able to access your phones files will be due to encryption (I'm assuming you're running Marshmallow or higher).

Other than the display, the phone appears to be behaving normally. (The blue light is probably notifications unless you don't have that set).

It's awfully tricky to open an S6 to be able to properly diagnose and fix the problem, but that's my two cents as to what the problem might be.

(Source: Had an S4 behave much the same way a couple of years ago, and it turned out that the LCD under the glass wasn't working, but the rest of the phone was)

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Dargenfire said:

In dropping your S6 you might have accidentally dislodged the internal display connector where it connects to your phones motherboard.

Not being able to access your phones files will be due to encryption (I'm assuming you're running Marshmallow or higher).

Other than the display, the phone appears to be behaving normally. (The blue light is probably notifications unless you don't have that set).

It's awfully tricky to open an S6 to be able to properly diagnose and fix the problem, but that's my two cents as to what the problem might be.

(Source: Had an S4 behave much the same way a couple of years ago, and it turned out that the LCD under the glass wasn't working, but the rest of the phone was)

The blue light is not notification light because I don't have any notification that makes it pulse continuously from blue to cyan. I'm hoping that it's that display connector problem?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

1 minute ago, JaZoN_XD said:

The blue light is not notification light because I don't have any notification that makes it pulse continuously from blue to cyan. I'm hoping that it's that display connector problem?

Hmmm.

Can you boot into the phone's bootloader? If not then it's definitely a hardware fault.

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

22 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Hmmm.

Can you boot into the phone's bootloader? If not then it's definitely a hardware fault.

Bootloader is volume UP, HOME and POWER right? If that's the case, no I don't think so. Like I said above, it flashes on extremely dimly for a split second and then goes black again.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

6 minutes ago, JaZoN_XD said:

Bootloader is volume UP, HOME and POWER right? If that's the case, no I don't think so. Like I said above, it flashes on extremely dimly for a split second and then goes black again.

What about download mode? (I think that's with volume down)

2 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

What about download mode? (I think that's with volume down)

Nope, none of those type of button combinations do anything

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

4 hours ago, JaZoN_XD said:

Nope, none of those type of button combinations do anything

Well, then I'm afraid it's a hardware fault then.

7 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

Well, then I'm afraid it's a hardware fault then.

alright thanks. What do you think might be the problem and where should i go to fix it? (assuming I can't fix it by myself?)

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

19 hours ago, JaZoN_XD said:

alright thanks. What do you think might be the problem and where should i go to fix it? (assuming I can't fix it by myself?)

I won't assume what it is, and I'm not going to suggest what hardware might be to blame because there simply isn't enough information to get specific.

If you're brave enough, opening up the phone to check internal connectors might be the next step (take a look at iFixit) but I would take it to a phone fixer if I were you.

7 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

I won't assume what it is, and I'm not going to suggest what hardware might be to blame because there simply isn't enough information to get specific.

If you're brave enough, opening up the phone to check internal connectors might be the next step (take a look at iFixit) but I would take it to a phone fixer if I were you.

Okay thank you. I will be opening it up first because it's out of warranty anyways.

On another note, one more piece of information to add is that the pulsing blue light is the light that shows when the phone is booting up. So basically, since the light is constantly on, it means that the phone is constantly stuck in that booting stage and all the button functions are probably locked out or something at that stage. There's just no display for some reason.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

On 10/8/2016 at 5:06 AM, Dargenfire said:

~snip~

Update on the problem, I took the phone apart and there was nothing obviously wrong, the display cable is perfectly in place and nothing else seems wrong. I tried a lot of things and after a lot of fiddling, the phone finally turned on. The phone is now fully functional and the vibrating motor and notifications are working. Everything is working EXCEPT for the damn screen! At this point, I'm just trying to get the data off the phone so I need to unlock the phone to transfer the data but I can't do that since the screen is black and the digitizer seems to be dead as well. Even the capacitive buttons at the bottom are working, only the screen isn't working.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

9 hours ago, JaZoN_XD said:

-snip-

in that case, my best guess would be that the LCD is cracked. It might not be visible, but if you hold the screen up in front of a light, try to look for subtle cracks under the glass. Either way I reckon it's the display that's gone bust, and you'll need to get a replacement front display assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 7:20 PM, Dargenfire said:

in that case, my best guess would be that the LCD is cracked. It might not be visible, but if you hold the screen up in front of a light, try to look for subtle cracks under the glass. Either way I reckon it's the display that's gone bust, and you'll need to get a replacement front display assembly.

Yep you were right. Sorry I took so long to update lol but right under the very top of the glass window there's a tiny hairline sorta crack of the AMOLED. So sad but oh well. At least something I can fix and replace.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

On 10/24/2016 at 0:21 PM, JaZoN_XD said:

Yep you were right. Sorry I took so long to update lol but right under the very top of the glass window there's a tiny hairline sorta crack of the AMOLED. So sad but oh well. At least something I can fix and replace.

Glad I could help fix the problem.

8 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

Yep. Thanks very much sir!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

• 9 months later...

JaZoN_XD how did you do with that problem an i have same problem with my s6 ? 

On 10/23/2016 at 9:21 PM, JaZoN_XD said:

5 hours ago, djdamn said:

JaZoN_XD how did you do with that problem an i have same problem with my s6 ? 

• 3 months later...

Heyy i have the exact same problem only that i have replaced both the lcd and digitizer and , both old and new seem to turn on when tested on another s6 edge but the screen is still black when i connect it to my one, swipe sounds and home button and indicator light come on tho

On 10/26/2016 at 3:30 AM, Dargenfire said:

Heyy i have the exact same problem only that i have replaced both the lcd and digitizer and , both old and new seem to turn on when tested on another s6 edge but the screen is still black when i connect it to my one, swipe sounds and home button and indicator light come on tho

On 11/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, Manz said:

Hm, I really don't have any idea why it would reject the screen for you phone then... maybe some hardware lock?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

On 10/13/2016 at 2:53 PM, JaZoN_XD said:

Update on the problem, I took the phone apart and there was nothing obviously wrong, the display cable is perfectly in place and nothing else seems wrong. I tried a lot of things and after a lot of fiddling, the phone finally turned on. The phone is now fully functional and the vibrating motor and notifications are working. Everything is working EXCEPT for the damn screen! At this point, I'm just trying to get the data off the phone so I need to unlock the phone to transfer the data but I can't do that since the screen is black and the digitizer seems to be dead as well. Even the capacitive buttons at the bottom are working, only the screen isn't working.

I have the same exact problem as you. I also have the phone took apart. What 'fiddling' did you do to make the phone functional so i can get my data off it

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 5:07 PM, kamemh said:

I have the same exact problem as you. I also have the phone took apart. What 'fiddling' did you do to make the phone functional so i can get my data off it

I didn't manage to get the phone to fully work, but by some lucky miracle, I managed to get the phone booted up and into the Android OS, except with no screen output (the screen was dead). I then connected a keyboard to my phone using one of those OTG USB adaptors and typed the password in. But after that, I didn't know how to navigate to all the stuff I needed with a black screen so eventually it didn't work. But mainly, I tried many many weird and different combinations of power, volume, and home button presses and holds etc. I really don't know how it worked, it was by luck that I got it booted into the OS without bootlooping.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

• 2 months later...
On 17. 12. 2017 at 3:57 AM, JaZoN_XD said:

I didn't manage to get the phone to fully work, but by some lucky miracle, I managed to get the phone booted up and into the Android OS, except with no screen output (the screen was dead). I then connected a keyboard to my phone using one of those OTG USB adaptors and typed the password in. But after that, I didn't know how to navigate to all the stuff I needed with a black screen so eventually it didn't work. But mainly, I tried many many weird and different combinations of power, volume, and home button presses and holds etc. I really don't know how it worked, it was by luck that I got it booted into the OS without bootlooping.

Hi is there any chances i can get my data of my phone (s6 active with a broken lcd) without replacing or taking it anywhere. I really dont care about the phone just pictures, actually they are really important?? I extremely hope there's a way