Password Reset Key

this could be pretty nice, seeing as windows 10 made the backdoor i used go away but i dont really need it anymore

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I don't know if I'd call that hacking or agree that 'Windows security sucks'.

If anything, having an easy way to leverage physical access to reset administrator passwords is a convenience. Sure, a clueless consumer might expect that login screen to be impenetrable, but a clueless consumer who's watched this video will go out, get a drive that supports hardware encryption and then no set a password or set it to 'qwerty' and/or write it down on a note sitting next to the device. There's no helping those people.

1 minute ago, AxelRantila said:

Two LTT releases in one day? I don't mind that.

We're testing out the noon (PST) release slot as we've been seeing significantly lower views from non-subscribers over the past couple of weeks when releasing at midnight.

So far it looks like a good timeslot, we'll have to see what happens.

We will be sticking to 1 release per day, though - today's just an outlier :)

Handy without messing arround.. i wonder if you can't just make your own bootable Windows Password Recovery Key by technical knowledge it shouldn't be that hard. But hard enough for me. I could use it but 20 dollars.. éh i mean not really.

That's why I am using BitLocker on my notebook.

It doesn't have a TPM but it works fine with just a password.

7 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Handy without messing arround.. i wonder if you can't just make your own bootable Windows Password Recovery Key by technical knowledge it shouldn't be that hard. But hard enough for me. I could use it but 20 dollars.. éh i mean not really.

in windows 7 you can run CMD with full admin premisson on the login screen after just a minute or two with physical access to the device if you know what you are dooing. but they have removed that as far as i know in windows 10

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

in windows 7 you can run CMD with full admin premisson on the login screen after just a minute or two with physical access to the device if you know what you are dooing. but they have removed that as far as i know in windows 10

Insert random Windows installation USB press SHIFT+F10 DONE i did the 'Sticky key' method 

15 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We're testing out the noon (PST) release slot as we've been seeing significantly lower views from non-subscribers over the past couple of weeks when releasing at midnight.

Ok, that makes sense why there was two video today.

Since I live in Europe I prefer the old release time, but you can't release something at a time that makes everyone happy around the world.

Just now, AxelRantila said:

Ok, that makes sense why there was two video today.

Since I live in Europe I prefer the old release time, but you can't release something at a time that makes everyone happy around the world.

It's entirely possible that we would go back to the old slot - really depends on how this test goes!!

And yep you're right :( one of the few downsides of having such a global community. Most aspects are amazing, but timing is always a negative :P

Yes, only Pro and Enterprise editions have BitLocker

Keep your whole PC away from intruders!!! 

i have a great idea for  anyone who would think this is an issue "Put a Password on You Bios" i havent used UEFI but on my 8 year old computer i can put a password on my bios and requires a password to change boot drives or entering the bios

linus mentioned that it cannot hack live account, does it mean that using microsoft account is safe? 

I thought you could just have Ubuntu on a USB drive and plug it in? Have been told that it will launch up in Ubuntu immediately overriding the windows password but allowing you to see all files.

1 hour ago, Redicat said:

Insert random Windows installation USB press SHIFT+F10 DONE i did the 'Sticky key' method 

i used to do it through startup repair with the sticky key method, if the computer was fast it took almost no time lol

Builds:

Spoiler

DamnLinusyouscary.meme

So why should i buy Win 10 Pro? Cuz Bitlocker.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

well you went and RUINED my streak of being first comment on nearly every video posted for the last several weeks, now videos will release when I'm at work and can't watch them. I do not like this change.

In protest I will not be watching this video. Is getting more non subscriber views more important to you then your subscribers?

1 hour ago, Edward.s said:

linus mentioned that it cannot hack live account, does it mean that using microsoft account is safe? 

Nope.

There's actually a vulnerability with the way Microsoft handles its live account to log in that makes it vulnerable to anybody on your network, and NTLM weaknesses with an malicious NBNS server (or something, I can't really digest what's happening).

Start at 35:19 if the timestamp doesn't work.

The tool used (which I can't find version 0.1.2 which was supposedly released on Aug 6th 2016) https://github.com/urbanesec/ZackAttack

if you don't want all the vulnerabilities that goes along with windows, then don't use windows. There's no way to make yourself 100% unhackable (or 10% unhackable for that matter)

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 hour ago, Bobis32 said:

i have a great idea for  anyone who would think this is an issue "Put a Password on You Bios" i havent used UEFI but on my 8 year old computer i can put a password on my bios and requires a password to change boot drives or entering the bios

Even thats easy to clear out, all you gotta do is pull the CMOS battery or use the jumpers to reset the bios, honestly it's easier then getting past the Windows password.

1 hour ago, Edward.s said:

Nope, with a few minutes of physical access you can get a Live password in plaintext.  This does require the user of the Live account to lock their PC at some point though.  I made a full tutorial on it on my channel if you wanna see how easy it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RskLPaWvuF0

The easiest and fastest way is to protect yourself is to run (Windows button + R) syskey.exe. It's a free program from Microsoft. It comes with Windows.