What OS is best when folding?

'Ello!

So i recently build this little beauty as a means to learn and play around with Linux;

Spoiler

outsides.jpeginsides.jpeg

It sports a Pentium G3258 on a MSI H81 mobo, with 8GB of RAM on a single stick. Now this thing has been sitting still for the most part, so i wanted to use it as a low end folding system, running it 24/7.

Now what OS should i choose for this? i have Windows and Ubuntu on hand, but i dunno what would be better in running F@H on a low powered system like this?

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

'Ello!

So i recently build this little beauty as a means to learn and play around with Linux;

Reveal hidden contents

outsides.jpeginsides.jpeg

It sports a Pentium G3258 on a MSI H81 mobo, with 8GB of RAM on a single stick. Now this thing has been sitting still for the most part, so i wanted to use it as a low end folding system, running it 24/7.

Now what OS should i choose for this? i have Windows and Ubuntu on hand, but i dunno what would be better in running F@H on a low powered system like this?

Windows has better graphics drivers support so therefore I would say Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Windows and Linux have the same drivers, though installing drivers on Linux does require running a few commands on Terminal where Windows's installer has a GUI. If you're trying to get the cheapest as possible but aren't afraid of Terminal (or Google if you need help), get something like Ubuntu, as it's free. Otherwise, Windows is the easiest, simplest way I could ever recommend.

By the way: Windows 7 and 8 allow you to disable automatic updating, which could affect your uptime a bit if it ends up updating while folding. If you're just going to fold on Windows, I'd get either one. Windows 10 requires a bit of tinkering, especially in the Home version, though I've heard if you use a wireless connection, you can tell it you're using a metered connection and it won't bother updating.

I would say Windows. It takes a little bit more power to run, but I have never gotten F@H properly working on Ubuntu. 

As long as you are sticking with just the cpu

for hardware, i'd say go for ubuntu. Especially

if you want to play around with linux as a side 

activity. 

Ubuntu seems to be a relatively normal choice 

when folding. I can't say how different the pdd

will be from ubuntu to windows though. 

Generally speaking ubuntu should be more

lightweight, thus abit faster.

I seem to hold an unpopular opinion apparently,

but ubuntu gets a thumbs up from me atleast :P 

Linux/Ubuntu if just doing CPU folding. If you want to do GPU folding instead, or as well, you need Windows.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You can fold with CPU and GPU in Linux.

Actually quite of a lot of us TC folders in OCN do just that since we are always trying to out do each other in points (one guy jokingly calls it NASCAR of folding).  :P

I currently run my 960 FTW under Ubuntu with OC of 1551MHz.  It has fold non stop for over a year and a half in Ubuntu along with the 1090T BOINCing at the same time.  Plus, getting F@H to run in Ubuntu is far easier than to get BOINC GUI interface to work right.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

You can fold with CPU and GPU in Linux.

Actually quite of a lot of us TC folders in OCN do just that since we are always trying to out do each other in points (one guy jokingly calls it NASCAR of folding).  :P

I currently run my 960 FTW under Ubuntu with OC of 1551MHz.  It has fold non stop for over a year and a half in Ubuntu along with the 1090T BOINCing at the same time.  Plus, getting F@H to run in Ubuntu is far easier than to get BOINC GUI interface to work right.

so you would recommend i use Ubuntu? i've been running it with windows for a few days now, getting about 5000 PPD (lol) when folding on the pentium. would switching mean more PPD?

If CPU folding it will allow you get some extra points, but don't expect like a crazy boost in points.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Arch Linux fitted to your PCs hardware... Like Supercomputer-OSes are built (okay, really really vague, but it's the same method). But that really takes a whackton of time figuring out the best combination of OS-components to take the fewest "bare OS"-CPU time out of it...

Simply because, if the OS accesses your CPU more efficient, theres more time for folding...

You are allowed to have animated avatars on LTT, but - try to have images like "userbars" in the signature - no chance...

Excels last cell is XFD1048576 and once was IV65536.

(if you want to have the most effective mousepad - use a colored matte floor tile)