is ubiquiti any good?

DominicNikon

I just recently purchased a ubiquity Edge Router X. So far so good, though I don't plan on using any of its 'controversial' features. I have had issues with my internet connect for months, (intermittent outages) that my ISP claims is on my side of the modem. I know that the ER-X isn't a 'professional' level device, but i needed to replace my router anyway to try and solve my woes, and $50 for a stand alone device to 'route my network' is a win in my book. As many have said on this thread already, its a solid upgrade from most consumer gear, and that is why I bought it for my home. (sorry this was sort of off topic, but wanted to throw my $.02 in anyways.)

11 hours ago, legopc said:

That goes for all unifi ap's that are managed by the controller. When you get out of range for one ap the client will look for a stronger signal from another ap then the client will seamlessly roam from one ap to the other with the help of the controller. 

Will it work with unifi ap plus some random old router? 

1 hour ago, DominicNikon said:

Will it work with unifi ap plus some random old router? 

No - it's propriatery to each vendor.

3 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

No - it's propriatery to each vendor.

Ok what do you think of cat 6 cable to 2 pros?

2 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

Ok what do you think of cat 6 cable to 2 pros?

That'd work fine

1 hour ago, DominicNikon said:

I's cat 6 better then cat 5e?

On 12/10/2016 at 4:39 AM, DominicNikon said:

were running wires for the aps not the hole house tho 

Well then disregard that point. Though you can understand the confusion. If you say you're not willing to run cables at all it seems a bit odd that you're ok with running them for the APs. Those two statements are a bit contradictory.

3 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

I's cat 6 better then cat 5e?

Cat3 @ 100m: 10Mbps

Cat5 @ 100m: 100Mbps

Cat5e @ 100m: 1Gbps, 2.5Gbps

Cat6 @ 100m: 5Gbps

Cat6A @ 100m: 10Gbps

There is currently, AFAIK, only one access point on the market that supports more than 1Gbps. And it's running at 2.5Gbps. It's also not a Ubiquiti product or something that you're going to be able to find easily anytime soon. Let alone switches and so on. And even then 2.5Gbps is rated to work at Cat5e anyways so even then you wouldn't have any issues I wouldn't think. That said, if the cost is similar? I'd go with Cat6. Not because you need it but because if the cost is similar why not? And I'd also wire in some other points while I was at it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

47 minutes ago, skywake said:

There is currently, AFAIK, only one access point on the market that supports more than 1Gbps. And it's running at 2.5Gbps. It's also not a Ubiquiti product or something that you're going to be able to find easily anytime soon. Let alone switches and so on. And even then 2.5Gbps is rated to work at Cat5e anyways so even then you wouldn't have any issues I wouldn't think. That said, if the cost is similar? I'd go with Cat6. Not because you need it but because if the cost is similar why not? And I'd also wire in some other points while I was at it.

Just letting you know there are a heap of AP's that support wired connections beyond 1Gbit/s. Most enterprise AP's support LACP at the very least giving them 2Gbit/s duplex. There are those that have 10Gbit/s.

18 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Just letting you know there are a heap of AP's that support wired connections beyond 1Gbit/s. Most enterprise AP's support LACP at the very least giving them 2Gbit/s duplex. There are those that have 10Gbit/s.

Well I didn't know about APs that support 10Gbps. So that's interesting. But I did know about APs with multiple ports either for daisy chaining or link aggregation. Either way it doesn't change the original point I was making. Which was that Cat 5e is probably fine for an access point but if there's not much of a cost difference? It's not like going with Cat 6 is a bad idea. Especially if you're doing some other cable runs at the same time.

12 hours ago, skywake said:

Well then disregard that point. Though you can understand the confusion. If you say you're not willing to run cables at all it seems a bit odd that you're ok with running them for the APs. Those two statements are a bit contradictory.

Cat3 @ 100m: 10Mbps

Cat5 @ 100m: 100Mbps

Cat5e @ 100m: 1Gbps, 2.5Gbps

Cat6 @ 100m: 5Gbps

Cat6A @ 100m: 10Gbps

Does cat 6 a coat more then cat 6?

6 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

Does cat 6 a coat more then cat 6?

You don't want Cat 6A

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 0:57 AM, Windspeed36 said:

im going ubiquiti and what does a network engineer do? this is my first year in high school and i think it would be good if i got some tech job ideas 

6 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

im going ubiquiti and what does a network engineer do? this is my first year in high school and i think it would be good if i got some tech job ideas 

designs and configures your network. You need to understand how to set up a network that isnt just the normal home network you see around. you need to learn various layer 2 and 3 methods at least including how to configure using a fully managed device (like layer 2 filters/firewall and layer 3 for same thing) which will be configurable. That means learning to write your own rules and logic for the flow of traffic and learning to use advanced protocols. Mikrotik and cisco are both good platforms to learn from as they have features a network engineer must be capable of using. Using linux/unix as a router is also another way but mikrotik and cisco (the professional, not the lower line like cisco rv) show what the router's capable of upfront while with a linux/unix box you will have to install software and packages and configure them.

Getting 2 mikrotik hEX will allow you to learn quite a lot for really cheap as you need at least 2 devices to learn some of the advanced networking features.

4 hours ago, System Error Message said:

designs and configures your network. You need to understand how to set up a network that isnt just the normal home network you see around. you need to learn various layer 2 and 3 methods at least including how to configure using a fully managed device (like layer 2 filters/firewall and layer 3 for same thing) which will be configurable. That means learning to write your own rules and logic for the flow of traffic and learning to use advanced protocols. Mikrotik and cisco are both good platforms to learn from as they have features a network engineer must be capable of using. Using linux/unix as a router is also another way but mikrotik and cisco (the professional, not the lower line like cisco rv) show what the router's capable of upfront while with a linux/unix box you will have to install software and packages and configure them.

Getting 2 mikrotik hEX will allow you to learn quite a lot for really cheap as you need at least 2 devices to learn some of the advanced networking features.

Or just get a Cisco lab and learn a well-respected platform that is used a whole lot of places. 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler