How much ram do I need?

So I've got 16gb of ddr4 at the moment, which works fine for gaming, I'm just wondering whether it may cause problems down the line when I try to play high graphic games and I'm screen recording/mic recording at the same time?

and will it help with video rendering time in premiere pro?

just seeing whether it is worth the upgrade or not!

16GB should be fine for what you're doing. More than 16GB is really only needed for working with very large video files and model rendering. 

Just now, TheRandomness said:

4GB = Office PC

8GB = Standard amount for gaming

Any higher is just video editing/unnecessary

Not really true.

I hit 7+gb of used RAM all the time with my 1080p gaming rig. I think 16gb is the norm when it comes to gaming at the moment.

If you've already bought the machine, then not a lot of point in worrying about it until you need to upgrade.

If you haven't bought the machine, well, you need to ask whether 64gb (ie: Skylake/Kabylake) is good enough.  Or if you need to escalate to a LGA2011 platform.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

16GB should be fine for what you're doing. More than 16GB is really only needed for working with very large video files and model rendering. 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

4GB = Office PC

8GB = Standard amount for gaming

Any higher is just video editing/unnecessary

How big are we talking in terms of video editing? I've got a lot of videos to edit this weekend, at least 6 hours of footage with the output probably being 4 hours or more of video being rendered, would it make a noticeable difference or not??

thanks again guys :)

1 minute ago, DaMainMan said:

Not really true.

I hit 7+gb of used RAM all the time with my 1080p gaming rig. I think 16gb is the norm when it comes to gaming at the moment.

I can still deal with 8GB completely fine :P even when running a craptop of programs, I never use a full 8GBs. (Programs including discord, steam, 8-10 chrome tabs, game, Chrome Remote Desktop, malwareshit...etc)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

12 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

If you've already bought the machine, then not a lot of point in worrying about it until you need to upgrade.

If you haven't bought the machine, well, you need to ask whether 64gb (ie: Skylake/Kabylake) is good enough.  Or if you need to escalate to a LGA2011 platform.

Already brought it but only thought about editing times now haha, got a 6700k which is lga 1151

i was considering just going straight to 64gb in a quad kit so I never need to touch it again but now I'm wondering whether it's really worth the money compared to the performance increase I'd see

11 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I can still deal with 8GB completely fine :P even when running a craptop of programs, I never use a full 8GBs. (Programs including discord, steam, 8-10 chrome tabs, game, Chrome Remote Desktop, malwareshit...etc)

It really depends on what kind of games you play. I upgraded from 8gb after Watchdogs was completely unplayable with the RAM limitation. But yes, I am sure you can play 90% of games fine with 8gb.

It really depends on what games you are playing. I'm playing CS:GO and Dota 2 and I can say 8gb is more than enough. I can also play GTA V high settings on 8gb but it reaches to 6.8gb without chrome on task manager, planning to upgrade to 16gb on my next build. 16gb will be the new norm for new games.

52 minutes ago, Ords said:

It really depends on what games you are playing. I'm playing CS:GO and Dota 2 and I can say 8gb is more than enough. I can also play GTA V high settings on 8gb but it reaches to 6.8gb without chrome on task manager, planning to upgrade to 16gb on my next build. 16gb will be the new norm for new games.

1 hour ago, DaMainMan said:

It really depends on what kind of games you play. I upgraded from 8gb after Watchdogs was completely unplayable with the RAM limitation. But yes, I am sure you can play 90% of games fine with 8gb.

See I'm not just playing games, I'm recording them, recording voice and recording facecam footage ALL at the same time, so obviously I can't have it crash as I'll lose footage etc and I need to know that if I'm playing the new battlefield or gow that it won't take up so much ram that other tasks aren't possible to run simultaneously 

Just now, Craigathorn said:

See I'm not just playing games, I'm recording them, recording voice and recording facecam footage ALL at the same time, so obviously I can't have it crash as I'll lose footage etc and I need to know that if I'm playing the new battlefield or gow that it won't take up so much ram that other tasks aren't possible to run simultaneously 

Then I would say at least 16gb. RAM is a cheap upgrade anyways - better safe than sorry.