Is the FSP Hexa+ 500w worth it?

Jobble_Gobble

Is the FSP Hexa+ 500w power supply any good. I can get it for cheaper but I am not sure whether to trust it. 

Thanks

I wouldn't get it

https://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/fsp-hexa-plus-500-watt-im-test/5/

Review is in German, but it's got an 85C rated CapXon primary bulk capacitor, a weak PFC circuit, and bad voltage regulation. Ripple almost out of spec at some points too. It's likely to result in system instability and could even deal damage to you components.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

19 minutes ago, Jobble_Gobble said:

How about the Zalman zm400 power supply. Will it be enough for this build http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/2JKygL and could it damage any of my components.

No, it's awful. Chinese-built power supply with low-end parts, a max output of 300W on the 12V rail and no 80+ certification. You do realise that the power supply is one of the more important parts in your PC and it can potentially take out parts such as your motherboard and GPU if it's crap? Plus, do you want to see it spark and potentially catch on fire?

If you can afford to spend $500 dollars on the graphics card and $370 on the CPU, you can spend more on the power supply. There's no excuse. The Corsair CX450M is a good choice.

Another thing... it's pointless to get the i5 6600K since you can't overclock on it on that motherboard. You should either get a Z170 motherboard or the i5 6500 instead. If you opt for the latter, you won't need a CPU cooler. Just use the stock one.

2 minutes ago, Jobble_Gobble said:

I've decided on the Corsair VS650.

Read above. That power supply is also terrible.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

There is a psu whitelist on this forum. Use it!

22 minutes ago, OnfireYH said:

There is a psu whitelist on this forum. Use it!

problem is, not all brands and models are listed. FSP is completely missing in that part despite their aurum and hydro G/X psus being decent-excellent.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

The system shouldnt need more than a 450w PSU so by default id go for the CX450M too.

Also, why use a K processor on a H110 chipset? Youre paying extra for something you cant use unless you plan to swap out the mobo later.

i5 6600K @ 4.5Ghz/1.28V with Coolaboratory Liquid Pro | Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Avexir ROG Impact 4*4 2666mhz @ 3333mhz/CL16/1.35v | ROG Strix 1070-O8G @ 2114Mhz/9400Mhz | Swiftech H220-X+2* Corsair ML120 | EVGA GQ750 | Plextor M8Pe(G) NVMe 256Gb | 2*Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb in RAID 0 | 2* Samsung Spinpoint F1 1Tb in RAID 1 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1tb | NZXT Noctis 450 Black | Phanteks braided cable extensions

Use this updated PSU Tier List instead. EVGA SP 550G2 & Corsair RMx 550 would be a great choice.

I decided on the 6600k because for $10 extra you get .2GHz higher frequency, also when I get the money I do plan on getting a Z170 board. I need a relatively budget power supply as I am quite scarce for money. Any budget recomendations, I am thinking about the Corsair RM550X.

• 6 years later...

I bought my FSP hexa+ in the year of our lord 2016

We are now currently in the year of our lord 2023

My FSP hexa+ is still working fine with continuous use 4-6 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Doesn't sound like a bad powersupply to me