Anyone Know How To Set Up A Minecraft And PFSense Router On The Same Box?

4 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

ESXi is free and will work fine, but please do not buy that server. That generation Dell are too old to be useful, I promise if you buy it you will regret it. People here that recommend buying them are crazy. Get a used PC or a Dell R series server from eBay, like an R210, R610, or R710.

Why, what's wrong with it? The passmark score is decent and it comes with 2 E5450s and I thought ddr2 should be sufficient unless I'm missing something here.

6 hours ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Why, what's wrong with it? The passmark score is decent and it comes with 2 E5450s and I thought ddr2 should be sufficient unless I'm missing something here.

The main problem would be power draw. It probably takes DDR2-FBDIMM which is dirt cheap, yes, but again, very power hungry. I hope you have an actively cooled space to put it, because it'll get toasty and loud.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

$80 is a lot of money for that, considering for another $120 you can get the equivalent of an i7 920 and 24gb of ddr3.. (R710 or R610) from ebay. They should be paying you to take that server since it probably costs them $80 to recycle it.

11 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

The main problem would be power draw. It probably takes DDR2-FBDIMM which is dirt cheap, yes, but again, very power hungry. I hope you have an actively cooled space to put it, because it'll get toasty and loud.

11 hours ago, Mikensan said:

$80 is a lot of money for that, considering for another $120 you can get the equivalent of an i7 920 and 24gb of ddr3.. (R710 or R610) from ebay. They should be paying you to take that server since it probably costs them $80 to recycle it.

How much power would it take? Since it has 2 80w tdp cpus I didnt think it would take over 200w. I was thinking to see if I could get it for $50 or $60 instead of $80. Also I was gonna ghetto some 140mm fans to it to replace the stock fans anyways lol

12 hours ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

How much power would it take? Since it has 2 80w tdp cpus I didnt think it would take over 200w. I was thinking to see if I could get it for $50 or $60 instead of $80. Also I was gonna ghetto some 140mm fans to it to replace the stock fans anyways lol

All the components take up energy as well - my newer C1100 which has better idle draw and only 60w TDP still sucks up ~220w. 

You're better off creating a virtual machine on your personal computer and using the $60 to buy more ram. It'll out perform that 1950.

2 hours ago, Mikensan said:

All the components take up energy as well - my newer C1100 which has better idle draw and only 60w TDP still sucks up ~220w. 

You're better off creating a virtual machine on your personal computer and using the $60 to buy more ram. It'll out perform that 1950.

I could but the reason why I was looking for a dedicated rig to host this is because I currently have an i7 4790k and 32gb of ram but i'm always using 60-80% of the cpu and 70% of the ram at all times. It's just that I cant find another computer that I could use to do this on that is relatively cheap.

4 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

I could but the reason why I was looking for a dedicated rig to host this is because I currently have an i7 4790k and 32gb of ram but i'm always using 60-80% of the cpu and 70% of the ram at all times. It's just that I cant find another computer that I could use to do this on that is relatively cheap.

That looks pretty new, what happened to the computer it replaced? Any parts left behind? 

Depending on how many players you want on the minecraft server, you could buy an old workstation like a Dell Optiplex 9020 or something of that nature for under $200. But if you're spending $200 I'd personally search ebay for a R710 or R610.

5 hours ago, Mikensan said:

That looks pretty new, what happened to the computer it replaced? Any parts left behind? 

Depending on how many players you want on the minecraft server, you could buy an old workstation like a Dell Optiplex 9020 or something of that nature for under $200. But if you're spending $200 I'd personally search ebay for a R710 or R610.

Oh, I ment that was my personal rig, I was just thinking of getting another rig to host stuff lol

16 hours ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Oh, I ment that was my personal rig, I was just thinking of getting another rig to host stuff lol

Well yea, but that's not your first computer right? I was thinking it had to of replaced a computer - where is the old PC?

9 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Well yea, but that's not your first computer right? I was thinking it had to of replaced a computer - where is the old PC?

Yeah the i7 rig is my personal rig, not replacing anything. I was just looking for a decent server to run pfsense on for my network

14 hours ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Yeah the i7 rig is my personal rig, not replacing anything. I was just looking for a decent server to run pfsense on for my network

I think either I'm not wording it very well or you're missing what I'm saying lol.

Is the i7 rig your very first computer? What did you have before that, and where is that system?

On 10/6/2016 at 6:31 AM, Mikensan said:

I think either I'm not wording it very well or you're missing what I'm saying lol.

Is the i7 rig your very first computer? What did you have before that, and where is that system?

Oh lol. No, had an fx 8350 rig, sold it for the 4790k rig that I have now.

Ah ok, there we go lol. And damn man, overall setup looks really sexy. Big thumbs up from me (and a jealous gleam in my eye lol)

So what's your budget for this box you want to put together?

13 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Ah ok, there we go lol. And damn man, overall setup looks really sexy. Big thumbs up from me (and a jealous gleam in my eye lol)

So what's your budget for this box you want to put together?

Around the $250 area, and thanks, I can actually swivel the tv and place it down in front of the triple monitors for easy viewing lying down on my bed lol ;). Right now i'm trying to decide if I want to make just a PFsense router instead of adding minecraft on it and a railgun lol. But for PFSense I kind of want the hardware to saturate 25MB/s through a VPN (PIA, sorry tunnelbear). I just don't know what CPU would max out my down through a VPN.

You can,  but you will have to have a virtualization client (unless you really want to play with FreeBSD in which case go for it). I recommend Xenserver if you havent run stuff like this before, if you have used Linux at all i would wholeheartedly recommend proxmox (its what i use for my hypervisor). If you need help with linux setup let me know, its really easy to get minecraft going on linux

3 minutes ago, unixbird said:

You can,  but you will have to have a virtualization client (unless you really want to play with FreeBSD in which case go for it). I recommend Xenserver if you havent run stuff like this before, if you have used Linux at all i would wholeheartedly recommend proxmox (its what i use for my hypervisor). If you need help with linux setup let me know, its really easy to get minecraft going on linux

Well, its just that installing PFSense on a HDD and calling it good (after configuring it of course) would be easier and that I could just host it off of my rig which is powerful enough. Just don't know what cpu I need to max 25MB/s through the vpn though :(

2 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Well, its just that installing PFSense on a HDD and calling it good (after configuring it of course) would be easier and that I could just host it off of my rig which is powerful enough. Just don't know what cpu I need to max 25MB/s through the vpn though :(

I dont think the CPU is the problem or whatever, i run everything fine on my setup through a VPN, pretty sure i can max out 25 if i had a higher download/upload and a gigabit switch. Can your actual download/upload get to 25MB/s?

3 hours ago, unixbird said:

I dont think the CPU is the problem or whatever, i run everything fine on my setup through a VPN, pretty sure i can max out 25 if i had a higher download/upload and a gigabit switch. Can your actual download/upload get to 25MB/s?

Yep, my down is 25MB/s while up is like 2MB/s lol. The encryption I plan to use is AES-256/SHA 256/RSA-4096

44 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Yep, my down is 25MB/s while up is like 2MB/s lol. The encryption I plan to use is AES-256/SHA 256/RSA-4096

Remember a VPN isnt going to mimic the exact speeds you have, as you are going to be technically on someone elses server a decent bit away. Also to clarify are you saying 25mbps or actual download from steam? My Speed is about 50mbps give or take, when connected to a vpn thats a couple of states away i get about 30mbps

4 minutes ago, unixbird said:

Remember a VPN isnt going to mimic the exact speeds you have, as you are going to be technically on someone elses server a decent bit away. Also to clarify are you saying 25mbps or actual download from steam? My Speed is about 50mbps give or take, when connected to a vpn thats a couple of states away i get about 30mbps

Down speed from Speedtest.net and downloading something from steam gives me 25MB/s

3 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Down speed from Speedtest.net and downloading something from steam gives me 25MB/s

whats the speeds you get on the vpn?

2 minutes ago, unixbird said:

whats the speeds you get on the vpn?

If I use my PC with my i7 4790k it ramps up to 25MB/s over a period of like 20s-30s then stays there until the download is done

1 minute ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

If I use my PC with my i7 4790k it ramps up to 25MB/s over a period of like 20s-30s then stays there until the download is done

Should be okay on the pfsense box then, i dont have those speeds but i kind of have a similar server that you were posting about

1 minute ago, unixbird said:

Should be okay on the pfsense box then, i dont have those speeds but i kind of have a similar server that you were posting about

Yeah but I don't want to buy another i7 for a router, any idea what cpu would be the cheapest that would work?