Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Metaton

HDD Failure?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi. So today i got a veeeeery strange thing going on with one of my HDD. Its a 500gb WD . Its not too old. Just ran out of the RMA time so. Yea... And suddenly. It sarted to "fail" but in a way i never see HDD fail before...
So what is happening is that. SMART , HDD Sentinel. EVERY PROGRAM shows that it is in a 100% condition! In fact i know it should be in a 100% becouse i kinda took care of things. Its sittin in my case . I never bump my case. And even in the case all my HDD's are sitting tight and stable! Yet what is happening. Is that the drive is slow. Slow as hell! Softwares shows that its max 120kb/s. Plus it makes like. "dips" . Like. 1s read- 1s off- 1s read- 1s off.
The drive IS in fact working properly. I can hear it i took it out of the case and i know its running. Yet it seems like its cannot read it properly or idk... The disk is spinning for sure... I cannot run any defragment or anything on it becouse it is so slow!!
I was like. Maybe my mobo did something so i hard reset my mobo... Nothing. I plug it into elsewhere... Nothing.
Not rly sure what to do. It should be working. I can see my files there ... Few kb pics or texts can be opened no problem... but anything bigger not...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think the random reads/writes slow down quite a bit. The last 5 drives that've failed on me have done this.

Drive maxes out, but it's only transferring like 120kb/s worth of information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, blackadder said:

change cable? is it super full? have you tried defragmenting it? other than that; strange indeed. 

Changed cable,changed port, Not full around 50%. 53% if i'm not mistaken. Defrag wont work.. WAAAY TOO SLOW!
I cna open up every smal lthings like docs or small pics everything! I have no fcking idea what to do... Hell i even waited for a 15mb video to load up to see if anything wrong... And its worked...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Out of curiosity though, what OS are you running? If it's W10, there are sometimes some weird issues that can exacerbate this.

It is win10. And i know about that too. I reinstall win regularly. And sometimes it bugs like i have 100% disk usage but that easily can be fixed...
I have never seen something like this... I'll try it in my small build to see if it works there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Metaton said:

It is win10. And i know about that too. I reinstall win regularly. And sometimes it bugs like i have 100% disk usage but that easily can be fixed...
I have never seen something like this... I'll try it in my small build to see if it works there.

Yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass. I'd take a peek in resmon and just see what it's doing. So far I've run into issues with defender, delivery optimization, search indexing, various apps... It's ridiculous. Got tired of dealing with it. Back on W7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass. I'd take a peek in resmon and just see what it's doing. So far I've run into issues with defender, delivery optimization, search indexing, various apps... It's ridiculous. Got tired of dealing with it. Back on W7.

I have had 0 issues of those kinds, because I properly clean installed the OS and made sure all the correct drivers were installed and updated.

 

Any issues I have run into were caused by myself and not the OS. If you did a clean install and still had issues that means you're doing something wrong.


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I have had 0 issues of those kinds, because I properly clean installed the OS and made sure all the correct drivers were installed and updated.

 

Any issues I have run into were caused by myself and not the OS. If you did a clean install and still had issues that means you're doing something wrong.

Mhm. Apparently I'm not flipping the 6 whole options you're given in the install menu in just the right order.

 

Clean installs, 3 computers. Installed from optical, USB, network... Same story. Something always breaks. It isn't always immediately noticeable, but once you start poking around into the resource usage, it becomes apparent.

 

Each computer has had the OS installed a minimum of 3 times, so that's 9 separate installs. Surely, I had to have flipped the switches just right ONE of those times. =p

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Mhm. Apparently I'm not flipping the 6 whole options you're given in the install menu in just the right order.

 

Clean installs, 3 computers. Installed from optical, USB, network... Same story. Something always breaks. It isn't always immediately noticeable, but once you start poking around into the resource usage, it becomes apparent.

 

Each computer has had the OS installed a minimum of 3 times, so that's 9 separate installs. Surely, I had to have flipped the switches just right ONE of those times. =p

Yeah lol... Same here... Clean installed maaany times now alot of versions of win. Only Win10 brought up some issues right after clean install. lels. Welp. I still ahve the HDD isue. Not sure wtf should i do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Mhm. Apparently I'm not flipping the 6 whole options you're given in the install menu in just the right order.

 

Clean installs, 3 computers. Installed from optical, USB, network... Same story. Something always breaks. It isn't always immediately noticeable, but once you start poking around into the resource usage, it becomes apparent.

 

Each computer has had the OS installed a minimum of 3 times, so that's 9 separate installs. Surely, I had to have flipped the switches just right ONE of those times. =p

Do you unplug all drives except one while doing the clean install?

Have you loaded the latest version of the OS onto your USB drive?

Did you delete all the partitions until you have "unallocated space" before installing windows?

Did you leave the computer on for at least an hour after the first boot up?

Did you restart and check for windows updates after making sure CPU and disk and network usage has dropped to 0 after that first hour?

 

There is a lot more than "just 6 options" that you need to do for a clean install.

It seems like this is not an issue with your windows, just user inexperience and error.

I've done about four or five windows 10 installs, all working perfectly with 0 issues.


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Do you unplug all drives except one while doing the clean install?

Have you loaded the latest version of the OS onto your USB drive?

Did you delete all the partitions until you have "unallocated space" before installing windows?

Did you leave the computer on for at least an hour after the first boot up?

Did you restart and check for windows updates after making sure CPU and disk and network usage has dropped to 0 after that first hour?

 

There is a lot more than "just 6 options" that you need to do for a clean install.

It seems like this is not an issue with your windows, just user inexperience and error.

I've done about four or five windows 10 installs, all working perfectly with 0 issues.

Uhuh. Pics or it didn't happen. 

 

You seem to be assuming an awful lot about me, and I'm not sure I appreciate that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Enderman said:

Do you unplug all drives except one while doing the clean install?

Have you loaded the latest version of the OS onto your USB drive?

Did you delete all the partitions until you have "unallocated space" before installing windows?

Did you leave the computer on for at least an hour after the first boot up?

Did you restart and check for windows updates after making sure CPU and disk and network usage has dropped to 0 after that first hour?

 

There is a lot more than "just 6 options" that you need to do for a clean install.

It seems like this is not an issue with your windows, just user inexperience and error.

I've done about four or five windows 10 installs, all working perfectly with 0 issues.

"Did you leave the computer on for at least an hour after the first boot up?"
Thats just stupid but hey.
I'm surprised that you left out that sacrafice a goat step. Cuz i'm sure you would do that too...
Whatever. That whole argue is not even relevant here...
If you think that Win10 perfect ffs look up how many people have just the 100% disk usage issue. Its a well known problem geez. It can happen for "no reason" ...
I only had it like 5 times out of 100 installs but still had it...
But stop this argue. If you installed it no problem good for you. My HDD fails here for no reason so stop spam things that not relevant ot the topic becouse as far as i see it have nothing to do with win10 this time... Sadly.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Metaton said:

"Did you leave the computer on for at least an hour after the first boot up?"
Thats just stupid but hey.
I'm surprised that you left out that sacrafice a goat step. Cuz i'm sure you would do that too...
Whatever. That whole argue is not even relevant here...
If you think that Win10 perfect ffs look up how many people have just the 100% disk usage issue. Its a well known problem geez. It can happen for "no reason" ...
I only had it like 5 times out of 100 installs but still had it...
But stop this argue. If you installed it no problem good for you. My HDD fails here for no reason so stop spam things that not relevant ot the topic becouse as far as i see it have nothing to do with win10 this time... Sadly.
 

When you first install windows 10 and it boots up for the first time it will connect to the internet and start scanning all the hardware and devices connected to your PC.

This includes audio drivers, mouse drivers, keyboard drivers, and a ton more stuff.

If you open task manager during this time you will see very high CPU usage and network/disk usage. This is because windows is working on setting things up.

 

If you turn off the PC before it is finished detecting and installing this you will have interrupted the process, and this is where I see most people start to have issues.

Some of their drivers won't have installed correctly.

Usually this process is done in less than an hour, it really depends how fast your CPU and disk is. That's why I said

Quote

 restart and check for windows updates after making sure CPU and disk and network usage has dropped to 0

 

Again, I have never had the 100% disk usage issue because I actually take care of my OS and install everything properly.

Stop blaming user error on the piece of software you don't know how to set up properly.


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 10/2/2016 at 11:30 AM, Enderman said:

When you first install windows 10 and it boots up for the first time it will connect to the internet and start scanning all the hardware and devices connected to your PC.

This includes audio drivers, mouse drivers, keyboard drivers, and a ton more stuff.

If you open task manager during this time you will see very high CPU usage and network/disk usage. This is because windows is working on setting things up.

 

If you turn off the PC before it is finished detecting and installing this you will have interrupted the process, and this is where I see most people start to have issues.

Some of their drivers won't have installed correctly.

Usually this process is done in less than an hour, it really depends how fast your CPU and disk is. That's why I said

 

Again, I have never had the 100% disk usage issue because I actually take care of my OS and install everything properly.

Stop blaming user error on the piece of software you don't know how to set up properly.

And not sure what your OS is doing becouse thats 100% not what mine does... Theres no such thing as "its connecting to the internet after install to download everything etc". Atleast. Not for me. How do i know this? Cuz i just now, did a fresh clean install. And it did NOTHING after install... No cpu usage. No anything after the first boot up. And nop. Now after the waaay more then a 100 win10 install. No issue at this time. Good for you bud for not experience bugs.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×