Core 2 Quad heating up too much

Hey guys, really new here and signed up because I really need a bit of help on this! I'm currently working on a small project and doing a scrapyard wars thingy with some friends. We live in a country where pc tech is kinda behind with the rest of the world, so lets just say I got really lucky getting my parts for a cheap build (Which seems i'll have to use as my main pc since my own build died but that's another story). The sad part is that the cpu is heating waaaaay too much and i've tried everything! Replacing heatsink on fans, new thermal paste, more fans on the case, staying in a cold room... I keep getting temps on 80-90ºc idle! I've tested the cpu on other boards and it's not giving me that issue at all. I'm stuck with stock fans because in my country, lga775 aftermarket fans are impossible to get.
Core 2 Quad Q8300  @ 2.50 GHz
ASrock G31M-VS2 Motherboard with stock, v1.00 bios.
Seagate 500gb Hard Drive 
DDR2 4gb @ 332.4 MHz
Nvidia gtx 750ti

ITEK 550w power supply.
Windows 7 professional 64 bit

Honestly I got my giblets in a vice here because all I have to replace it is a Dual-Core E5400, which might just make me lose this one (I'm kinda new into this whole thing, so i'll assume it's a worse cpu). Please help! And thank you.

1 minute ago, JefeRafa said:

I'm stuck with stock fans because in my country, lga775 aftermarket fans are impossible to get.

Honestly I got my giblets in a vice here because all I have to replace it is a Dual-Core E5400, which might just make me lose this one (I'm kinda new into this whole thing, so i'll assume it's a worse cpu). Please help! And thank you.

Sounds like you either need to come up with something creative or you need someone to be your Santa this year. I'd recommend you to make some posts on reddit's pcmasterrace sub-forum. They'd probably send you one for free, or some other parts.

Just get some cheapo heatsink using PCPP's list of them which can handle 90 watt TDP CPU's. Hell, I have an ID-COOLING IS-40 (little low profile thing) and even though I've reused the thermal paste over half a dozen times I still peak at 78-80C load temps.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I wonder if the temperature sensor is just out of calibration and it's reporting faulty data.

I've got a Core 2 Quad 8400 in my Optiplex 760 with literally one fan. I'll check the temps later.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 hour ago, JefeRafa said:

I keep getting temps on 80-90ºc idle! I've tested the cpu on other boards and it's not giving me that issue at all.

If with "other boards" you really mean 2 or more additional motherboards did not give you any temperature issues, than the motherboard you are using is defective.

Or perhaps some BIOS settings are messing with the CPU, like for example increased Vcore - I'd just reset mobo settings to default, see if it still happens.

Also try at least 3 different softwares to read out temperatures, Afterburner, HWInfo, Aida64, Realtemp are all very valid options.

Further I'd take a look on the PSU you are using, unless you did use said PSU to power the other motherboards aswell, then disregard this.

But In all seriousness, I just checked the homepage from Itek just to see where the company is located and they do not list a company adress there, at all. Which is shady as fudge to beginn with (and to a certain degree illegal in the EU if you are a business). Anyhow further to amazon I go and look at that, most of what itek ever sold there is "not available" anymore... so however your CPU issue turns out, my recommendation is to throw away that PSU either way and get one from a reputable brand.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

1 hour ago, JefeRafa said:

I'm stuck with stock fans because in my country, lga775 aftermarket fans are impossible to get.

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that  all socket 1156, 1155, 1150 and 1151 are all size compatible with 775 heatsinks.

Mystery is the source of all true science.