1440p gaming on 1440p monitor vs 4K monitor

KingFaris17
Go to solution Solved by Stardar1,
Just now, KingFaris17 said:

Hi, I'm planning on getting a 4K monitor. However, I'll be using a GTX 1070, meaning I can't max settings on it so I might as well just buy a 1440p monitor (save money). If I were to play at 1440p resolution on a 4K monitor, will it look different (worse) than playing at 1440p on a 1440p monitor? I know it sounds weird, but just in case...

This is an interesting issue, it depends on monitor size, as well as a few other things. 

assuming the monitors are identicle in size, a 27" 1080p monitor and running 1080p in a 27" 4k monitor are identicle

1440p is a bit different, because it's not just 4 pixels -> 1 pixel. 

My suggestion is just to get a 1440p monitor, maybe even a 144 Hz one. 

Hi, I'm planning on getting a 4K monitor. However, I'll be using a GTX 1070, meaning I can't max settings on it so I might as well just buy a 1440p monitor (save money). If I were to play at 1440p resolution on a 4K monitor, will it look different (worse) than playing at 1440p on a 1440p monitor? I know it sounds weird, but just in case...

Just now, KingFaris17 said:

This is an interesting issue, it depends on monitor size, as well as a few other things. 

assuming the monitors are identicle in size, a 27" 1080p monitor and running 1080p in a 27" 4k monitor are identicle

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

Right, I like the idea of a 144Hz one. I'm aiming for 24", no space for 27". Anyway, thanks! Won't be marking as solved right now in case I get more ideas.

When i run 1440 or less than 4k on my TV(its where my htpc is hooked up at) 

I just get black bars at the top and bottom. But thats a tv, so its different. 

On my 1440p monitor it just stretches the 1080 out to the size. Kinda like someone just made the words and stuff bigger without the pixels being there to support it. 

Just now, Katsunaka said:

When i run 1440 or less than 4k on my TV(its where my htpc is hooked up at) 

I just get black bars at the top and bottom. But thats a tv, so its different. 

On my 1440p monitor it just stretches the 1080 out to the size. Kinda like someone just made the words and stuff bigger without the pixels being there to support it. 

Yeah, I thought there'd be an issue like that. Thanks, guess I'll just get a 1440p monitor.

3 minutes ago, KingFaris17 said:

Yeah, I thought there'd be an issue like that. Thanks, guess I'll just get a 1440p monitor.

I just bought a PB278Q off newegg. 

Its a 27 inch 1440p 60hzmonitor for my 1070. 

So far im liking it plus its a monitor with good color reproduction. 

Check over on r/buildapcsales there was a code over there for the XG270HU for 379. Its 1440 144hz, if you can deal with the red/orange bezel and stand.

I couldnt and decided against it. 

That or pick up that monoprice 4k monitor and run it at 1440. I think its either 24 or 27. 

Alot of people love that monitor.

1 hour ago, Stardar1 said:

That actually isn't true most of the time. It depends on the monitor, and most don't scale 4:1. 1440p looks better than 1080p on a 4K monitor in most cases.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/10/2016 at 10:42 PM, Glenwing said:

That actually isn't true most of the time. It depends on the monitor, and most don't scale 4:1. 1440p looks better than 1080p on a 4K monitor in most cases.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Do you think it applies to this monitor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WUACVIC/

I'm rethinking if I should get a 1440p monitor as the price difference between a 1440p monitor and this monitor is only £100 or less. However, I'd rather save that £100 if games running at 1440p on a 4K monitor would look bad.