best cooler for 4 way 1080

Molesy

Hey guys,

Firstly i know 1080 and 1070 etc dont support more than 2 way sli. this 4 GPUs will not be in sli. it will be used for gpu rendering where sli is not required. the software detects all the cards and just uses it power and it will max out all the cards at 100% for extended periods of time. since this will be a 4 gpu in one system and they will be very close to each other what would be the best cooler for then on air. not looking to go into liquid cooling. I was thinking the gigabyte windforce cards might be good. As they have been very quiet even on load and dont get too hot. but if you have all of them next to each other i am not sure how that will perform if at all. I was then looking at the ASUS turbo card which is a blower card i believe that might be better having it on all 4 cards but i think it will be very noisy if all the cards at maxed out and the fans start reving up to max, going to start to sound like a jet engine. so i think blower fans better temps but very noise and custom cooler very hot but better noise levels ? what would you guys recommend for a cooler that would have the right balance?

Thanks 

Whatever cooling you go with water cooling will be the best. Having 4 cards of blower or open cooler design together will certainly get toasty and noisy.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

I also don't think 4 blower cards will sound like a jet engine.....

Gotta love them GE-90's!

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

what aboout getting different 1080s? i mean if you use f.e. two aio watercooled cards that sit in the middle spots, and two air cooled that sit on the outer, cooler pci slots, this could solve your problem. those aio cards are not any more complicated to install or maintain than an air cooled card.

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

haha yes GE90 for life :P  got to love the GE 90-115B  

i was comparing something like this in terms of noise for ref vs custom 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o for reff at 100%

and something like this for custom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-9Hvjaj_c  at 100%

i was thinking though once you put 4 of them next to each other at 100% load its going to get very hot (eather way i know) but will it get to hot for the Gigabyte cards ? is what i am wondering 

1 minute ago, Molesy said:

haha yes GE90 for life :P  got to love the GE 90-115B  

i was comparing something like this in terms of noise for ref vs custom 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o for reff at 100%

and something like this for custom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-9Hvjaj_c  at 100%

i was thinking though once you put 4 of them next to each other at 100% load its going to get very hot (eather way i know) but will it get to hot for the Gigabyte cards ? is what i am wondering 

The heat from the bottom card will rise from the back plate into the card above which is pulled in by the fans and that just repeats up to the top card. The Gigabyte cards will probably be a little quieter but still run pretty hot and possibly (not definitely) could thermal throttle.

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

16 hours ago, Heinz57 said:

what aboout getting different 1080s? i mean if you use f.e. two aio watercooled cards that sit in the middle spots, and two air cooled that sit on the outer, cooler pci slots, this could solve your problem. those aio cards are not any more complicated to install or maintain than an air cooled card.

True at the moment there is no AIO one avalible at my local store. and the place that does have it limits it to 1 per customer for the model they do have avalible. though i was thinking of that as a possible solution but not sure i would have enough mounting points for the AIO as this will be going onto a server motherboard so it will be using AIO for the cpu as well. case i plan to use is the Define XL R2. i have to see i might go for a single socket cpu.

16 hours ago, Warning said:

The heat from the bottom card will rise from the back plate into the card above which is pulled in by the fans and that just repeats up to the top card. The Gigabyte cards will probably be a little quieter but still run pretty hot and possibly (not definitely) could thermal throttle.

yea but when i look at the asus turbo card the only blower card i cant get my hands on atm wont that also have the same issue though all the areas will be on top of each other and should be cooler in theory i think

1 minute ago, Molesy said:

yea but when i look at the asus turbo card the only blower card i cant get my hands on atm wont that also have the same issue though all the areas will be on top of each other and should be cooler in theory i think

I have the turbo 1060 and it's quite a nice card but can get a little noisy. I believe you will have the same issue as well. The bottom card will be the coolest in both scenarios. 

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

1 hour ago, Warning said:

I have the turbo 1060 and it's quite a nice card but can get a little noisy. I believe you will have the same issue as well. The bottom card will be the coolest in both scenarios. 

yea i think so. i think i will go with the gigabyte ones should be cooler. will see if i can fid a case that will let me have 4 or maybe 2 gpu that are liquid cooled. i think i will go for the gigabyte borad as it will let me have 4 way support and supports Xeon cpu so i can go for a xeon and have 40 pcie lanes and then have the 4 gpus on it and just need to find a cse that will work well with this. ideal noise dampaning with it. would cpu AIO would you recommend for nice a and quite opperation with cpu on full load. I have used the Hyper212X on the xeon before and they are really quite with it at max speeds as well and cpu nice and cool wondering if a AIO will be nice a quite as well as the PC may be needed to be transported so i feel AIO will be better as it attached to the case and not hanging off the board. 

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5658&dl=#ov

14 hours ago, Molesy said:

yea i think so. i think i will go with the gigabyte ones should be cooler. will see if i can fid a case that will let me have 4 or maybe 2 gpu that are liquid cooled. i think i will go for the gigabyte borad as it will let me have 4 way support and supports Xeon cpu so i can go for a xeon and have 40 pcie lanes and then have the 4 gpus on it and just need to find a cse that will work well with this. ideal noise dampaning with it. would cpu AIO would you recommend for nice a and quite opperation with cpu on full load. I have used the Hyper212X on the xeon before and they are really quite with it at max speeds as well and cpu nice and cool wondering if a AIO will be nice a quite as well as the PC may be needed to be transported so i feel AIO will be better as it attached to the case and not hanging off the board. 

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5658&dl=#ov

Just make sure that if they have back plates you will have enough clearance between the cards. Sometimes the back plates interfere with cards above.

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Don't get four 1080's get two titan xp's, much better in performance and will not need and fancy cooling.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

2 hours ago, Warning said:

Just make sure that if they have back plates you will have enough clearance between the cards. Sometimes the back plates interfere with cards above.

ah yes thanks for the head up. i think they are all similar the gigabyte ones i am looking at are just a little bit out.i dont think it will interfere should be fine. might get 2 cards first and test and if all good get the remaining 2 or get blower style cards for the remaining 2

2 hours ago, laushik said:

Don't get four 1080's get two titan xp's, much better in performance and will not need and fancy cooling.

well this is gpu rendering so getting 4 1080 will give me more cuda cores overall for cheaper. the XP is not even avalible in aus not store has it :/ and if u get it from US i will have to play a lot of customs and duty not making it worthwhile anymore. and with AUS price inflation i could probs get 2 1080 for a single titan.  or might wait for the 1080ti might be a good middle ground with price and cores.