What noise should a PSU make when idle?

Pixelicious

I was just wondering what noise a power supply should make when idle as I bought a Corsair RM750x yesterday and when plugging wires in behind my computer I noticed a noise not loud but noticable when your ear is close to the back of the PSU.

The noise is sort of like a very very quick quite clicking / Electrical buzz.

Sorry hard to explain but I tried my best :P

8 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

I was just wondering what noise a power supply should make when idle as I bought a Corsair RM750x yesterday and when plugging wires in behind my computer I noticed a noise not loud but noticable when your ear is close to the back of the PSU.

The noise is sort of like a very very quick quite clicking / Electrical buzz.

Sorry hard to explain but I tried my best :P

You should hear a fan spinning.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

It's has a Zero-RPM feature so the fan doesn't spin until a certain temperature, so no fan noise :P

It depends. A PSU without a zero-RPM fan mode should make a sound of a fan spinning. Those with a zero-RPM fan mode should make very little noise, but it's likely to make some general "electrical" noise that can only be heard from close proximity) 

You may also get a PSU that has coil whine. It can be a high pitched buzzing. 

13 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I'll get a recording so you can listen, just want to be safe then sorry :P

On 10/1/2016 at 10:10 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

It depends. A PSU without a zero-RPM fan mode should make a sound of a fan spinning. Those with a zero-RPM fan mode should make very little noise, but it's likely to make some general "electrical" noise that can only be heard from close proximity) 

You may also get a PSU that has coil whine. It can be a high pitched buzzing. 

This is the noise that I can hear, the phone is against the back of the power supply the noise is audiable from about 30cm away.

Sorry the audio came out funny.

Edited by Spotty
removed vid.me link

I have an RMx and it makes no noise. If that was my PSU I'd be taking it back. I'm not necessarily saying it is an issue, but i'd be expecting near silence.

Edited by Spotty
rem oved vid.me link

1 minute ago, jello77 said:

I have an RMx and it makes no noise. If that was my PSU I'd be taking it back. I'm not necessarily saying it is an issue, but i'd be expecting near silence.

Thank you for shedding some light, I'll wait for a few more replies before making a discussion but again thank you :)

19 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

Thank you for shedding some light, I'll wait for a few more replies before making a discussion but again thank you :)

Just sounds like electrical-ness. Is the fan on when you hear that or don't you know? 

(that PSU has a Zero-RPM feature)

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

7 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Just sounds like electrical-ness. Is the fan on when you hear that or don't you know? 

(that PSU has a Zero-RPM feature)

The fan is off.

15 minutes ago, jello77 said:

Does it get worse when system is under load?

Hard to test that due to not having a graphics card but while running benchmarks and playing a few games I can, it seems to stay the same.

I got it from Amazon so if I need to get a return or replacement it should be simple.

what you are hearing is the capacitors. that buzzing is normally not a big issue unless it bothers the crap out of you. on psu's they normally will have the frequency to be above what you can hear.  honestly i don't think its going to blow or anything but, i would replace if you can just for peace of mind as i can't test it for you. on high power equipment you will get a very loud buzz similar to this and they power your houses just fine. when a cap is going out they normally will have a very high pitch noise like a dog whistle, my tv does it. if they do blow they can sound like a shotgun and they will make you pee a little if you're not expecting it.    

edit: you said it doesn't change under load, i would replace it, more of peace of mind still than anything else. 

Edited by Spotty
removed vid.me link

33 minutes ago, blackadder said:

what you are hearing is the capacitors. that buzzing is normally not a big issue unless it bothers the crap out of you. on psu's they normally will have the frequency to be above what you can hear.  honestly i don't think its going to blow or anything but, i would replace if you can just for peace of mind as i can't test it for you. on high power equipment you will get a very loud buzz similar to this and they power your houses just fine. when a cap is going out they normally will have a very high pitch noise like a dog whistle, my tv does it. if they do blow they can sound like a shotgun and they will make you pee a little if you're not expecting it.    

edit: you said it doesn't change under load, i would replace it, more of peace of mind still than anything else. 

Thank you so much for the detailed answer a lot of help, I might do that then as I do worry about a lot of thing unfortunatly :(