[GUIDE] How to disable annoying features on Windows 10

MoonlightSylv

Windows 10 is good.

Aside from the data collection, Cortana, start menu ads, and lack of customization. 

So I'm going to show you how to disable all of the (what I think are) annoying "features" of Windows 10.

Data collection

Disabling data collection is pretty simple, first thing you want to do is download a program called "Spybot anti-beacon" here: https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Once you have it installed, open it up and click "immunize"

immu.PNG

Next go to the "Optional" tab and apply all the options (Don't disable Bing IPs if you use Bing, same with OneDrive services and OneDrive)

Capture.PNG

Cortana

(If you use Cortana, don't do this :P

The first thing you'll need is Winaero Tweaker: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Once you install that open it up and scroll down until you see the option "Disable Cortana" click that and check the checkbox.

cortana.PNG

You can also disable telemetry (data collection) again here if you didn't feel safe enough with the other method :P 

Start menu ads

Microsoft... Why ads? They aren't app suggestions, they're ads,

Anyway, open up PC settings... Oh wait they removed the option to disable ads in the anniversary update.

Edit: If you turn off "Windows tips and tricks"  it disables some ads

So we're just straight up replacing the start menu! First, download classicshell: http://www.classicshell.net/

After you install it right it will open up a config box, choose what you want your start menu and start orb to look like and then finish.

You now have a Windows 7 style start menu with no ads!

win7menu.PNG

(Windows key+Shift brings up the old start menu if you need to access it)

Customization:

You can check out my guide for that here:

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I have an easier solution 

Image result for Installing windows 7

:P

Good topic none the less as if you have to have windows 10 might as well make it usable

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

I have an easier solution 

:P

Good topic none the less as if you have to have windows 10 might as well make it usable

Windows 7 has a lot of annoyances though that slow down work progress, at least for me. I also find the W10 file explorer to be much better than W7's.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, RGProductions said:

Sadly it is needed for Forza

Yeah that's why I put the comment after the joke, though you never know quantum break became dx11 despite no one expecting it

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.howtogeek.com/273513/why-you-shouldnt-use-anti-spying-tools-for-windows-10/

A note about all those tools that turn off those "spying" features: they can cause instability because it's a blind shotgun approach.

Blocking Windows Update completely, preventing the installation of important security updates and leaving your PC vulnerable.

Doesn't do that

Tampering with the hosts file to block specific Microsoft web servers, leading to various problems like Skype failing to synchronize chat messages or being unable to update itself.

Doesn't do that.

Breaking the Windows Store, preventing you from installing apps from there and preventing it from updating the included applications in Windows 10.

Used to do that but doesn't anymore.

Disabling the Windows Defender antivirus, which helps keep Windows 10 secure, and other system components you may actually want, like OneDrive.

Doesn't do that.

Deleting various services and parts of Windows 10, breaking various things and potentially blocking you from installing major updates like the Anniversary Update and November Update before it.

Doesn't do that.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Blocking Windows Update completely, preventing the installation of important security updates and leaving your PC vulnerable.

Doesn't do that

Tampering with the hosts file to block specific Microsoft web servers, leading to various problems like Skype failing to synchronize chat messages or being unable to update itself.

Doesn't do that.

Breaking the Windows Store, preventing you from installing apps from there and preventing it from updating the included applications in Windows 10.

Used to do that but doesn't anymore.

Disabling the Windows Defender antivirus, which helps keep Windows 10 secure, and other system components you may actually want, like OneDrive.

Doesn't do that.

Deleting various services and parts of Windows 10, breaking various things and potentially blocking you from installing major updates like the Anniversary Update and November Update before it.

Doesn't do that.

Some people may refer to other tools, which will do those.

But it looks like all that program does is whatever you can do in Windows anyway.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Some people may refer to other tools, which will do those.

Why would they? Why not just use the tools in the guide?

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But it looks like all that program does is whatever you can do in Windows anyway.

You can disable some things in Windows settings, but it only lets you go so far, this completely disables it.

✨PC Specs✨

1) you shouldn't use windows if you're concerned about telemetry and big data collection. You should also probably stop using the internet.

2) sure, you can disable cortana, I just hide it so that search still works if I need it

3) never had any start menu ads, because I actually disabled "windows tips and tricks" in the settings.

Something you should always do with any new piece of technology or software is look through the settings and disable what you don't need.

Third party programs are not required to disable this stuff.

4) How is there lack of customization? You can change the accent colours, you can enable the dark theme, you can load custom themes, you can edit the registry, etc...

You can literally change how everything looks about windows 10.

Spoiler

Penumbra 10 - Windows 10 visual style by Scope10

This is my favourite theme currently^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Why would they? Why not just use the tools in the guide?

Because everyone has their favorites.

You can disable some things in Windows settings, but it only lets you go so far, this completely disables it.

Are you sure?

See I'm curious what kind of magic sauce a program like this does that a user normally can't do. And that's what scares me.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

1) you shouldn't use windows if you're concerned about telemetry and big data collection. You should also probably stop using the internet.

2) sure, you can disable cortana, I just hide it so that search still works if I need it

3) never had any start menu ads, because I actually disabled "windows tips and tricks" in the settings.

Something you should always do with any new piece of technology or software is look through the settings and disable what you don't need.

Third party programs are not required to disable this stuff.

4) How is there lack of customization? You can change the accent colours, you can enable the dark theme, you can load custom themes, you can edit the registry, etc...

You can literally change how everything looks about windows 10.

1) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2) Search still works after disabling Cortana.

3) I'll add that, there is by default "promoted apps" that show up on install though.

4) Lack of customization out of the box, the dark theme only covers UWP apps.

I do really like that theme in the spoiler though :P 

✨PC Specs✨

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because everyone has their favorites.

Are you sure?

See I'm curious what kind of magic sauce a program like this does that a user normally can't do. And that's what scares me.

It's not harmful, I've been running it ever since Windows 10 came out and I've had no issues.

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

4) Lack of customization out of the box, the dark theme only covers UWP apps.

I do really like that theme in the spoiler though :P 

Well I mean it's the same as every other windows version....except with a dark theme now...so it's an improvement?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Start menu ads?  I have never seen such a thing... can someone show me?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Start menu ads?  I have never seen such a thing... can someone show me?

In newer versions there's a thing called "suggested apps" and it basically shows you shit stuff like candy crush.

✨PC Specs✨

22 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

In newer versions there's a thing called "suggested apps" and it basically shows you shit stuff like candy crush.

Well I'm fully up to date and I haven't seen anything of the sort yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I'm fully up to date and I haven't seen anything of the sort yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pro or Home?

✨PC Specs✨

Pro or Home?

Pro

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Pro

That's probably why.

✨PC Specs✨

• 3 weeks later...

There so much more to remove.

Google: Aegis Voat

Voat.cc

Thats just one additional thing. I can't even remember all the registry hacks and group policy hacks I've done. Also, booting into safe mode, deleting files, making text files, renaming them to those files and then locking the file so no one can access (because NTFS permissions, am I right?) that way they can't be overridden and reinstall them selfs.

I beatbox 

On 10/1/2016 at 10:31 AM, Enderman said:

Well I mean it's the same as every other windows version....except with a dark theme now...so it's an improvement?

windows 7 had themes that actually work and widgets, although they were removed for security reasons, although anyone with common sense can avoid these issues.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.