Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified Motherboard

M4SH1R0

Should I buy a motherboard that is Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified? I'm just looking for playing games, recording and streaming. I don't know what's a "Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3", can anyone kindly explain this "tech" to me?

Thunderbolt 3 is an external connection based on pci-e. TB1 gives 1 lane, TB2 gives 2 lanes and TB3 is the equivalent of a 4x pic-e slot.

Not a lot of things use it yet other than professional class products.

If I were buying a motherboard today I would prefer one with thunderbolt, but it's not essential.

4 minutes ago, M4SH1R0 said:

Should I buy a motherboard that is Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified? I'm just looking for playing games, recording and streaming. I don't know what's a "Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3", can anyone kindly explain this "tech" to me?

I don't believe you'd really need to take advantage of it.

Thunderbolt is a input that allows 10gb transfer speeds, BLAZING FAST, though in honesty there isn't too much you can use it with unless you maybe own a iphone or macbook, these use the same connection. 

The only thing I could see you using it for is if you were willing to shell out cash for a hugely expensive thunderbolt black magic capture device for streaming and recording.

I cant seem to find the price on it right now, but I remember it being around the $1000~ dollar range. 

Anyways, it's a good feature if you maybe owned a Macbook or Iphone for data transfers and charging, but not much else. 

I'd say not to shell out the extra cash for it if its more expensive over other non thunderbolt motherboards.