Choosing GTX 1080

Jerped

Hello,

I will be buying my new computer in november (waiting for black friday). I have trouble choosing the right graphics card. I was at first interested in the gigabyte G1 gtx 1080. It's price is really jumping left and right on newegg, going back ordered really often, so I'd like to know if there would be one comparable to this one?

Price isn't really a problem. This graphics card will be to power my three 1080p monitor setup at the highest settings possible. I have a gtx 960 right now and it has a lot of trouble doing it :'(

15 minutes ago, Jerped said:

I will be buying my new computer in november (waiting for black friday).

Price isn't really a problem.

No need to wait for Black Friday then, right?  A GTX 1080 will run your monitors nicely so get one now.  No need to wait.

Price isnt a problem --- > waiting for black friday !! haha :) funny one :)

EVGA are good brands, also i would say ASUS might be the second best option.

If money isnt a problem then I would suggest EVGA FTW. Some Asus have higher clock than evga FTW tho.. Should check that out too.

But IMO --- > EVGA FTW

looks like everyone is going for EVGA FTW, but what's the real in-game difference with the gigabyte G1?

I always had in mind that evga was cheap stuff (a collegue of mine always said that at the shop I worked)

And yes I said price isn't important, but I still want to get the best with my money. I'm Canadian, so prices suck here :\    

For your idea:

Canadian: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&cm_re=gigabyte_gtx_1080-_-14-125-869-_-Product

United States: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&cm_re=gigabyte_gtx_1080-_-14-125-869-_-Product

There's a 200$ difference!!!

Also, FTW is 900$ here:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245&cm_re=evga_1080_ftw-_-14-487-245-_-Product

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

5 minutes ago, Jerped said:

looks like everyone is going for EVGA FTW, but what's the real in-game difference with the gigabyte G1?

I always had in mind that evga was cheap stuff (a collegue of mine always said that at the shop I worked)

And yes I said price isn't important, but I still want to get the best with my money. I'm Canadian, so prices suck here :\    

For your idea:

Canadian: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&cm_re=gigabyte_gtx_1080-_-14-125-869-_-Product

United States: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&cm_re=gigabyte_gtx_1080-_-14-125-869-_-Product

There's a 200$ difference!!!

Also, FTW is 900$ here:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487245&cm_re=evga_1080_ftw-_-14-487-245-_-Product

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

The G1 price difference is +$30 canadian after currency conversion.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Get the cheapest one you find that has good cooling. Spending more on badass models is a waste of money on Pascal.

I've had 2 EVGA GTX 1080s - not at the same time mind you - and here's my experiences. They were both reference PCBs with EVGA's ACX 3.0 cooler (SKU: 08G-P4-6181-KR).

First card: Very poor overclocker, barely made it past 1900 MHz core OC, about +50 on the VRAM. Died within half a day of use, which is where #2 comes in as an RMA.

Second card: RMA replacement for #1. Good overclocker. Core overclocked to 2063 - 2075 MHz, VRAM overclocked to +500 with rock-solid stability.

Considering the 1080 I have is a reference card with stock power delivery and everything, and 2100 MHz core is the most commonly observed upper limit for air-cooled cards, it shows that it's purely up to the silicon lottery that's determining your maximum overclocks, not the fancy power delivery or custom PCBs.

The only bonus you get from custom cards are small guaranteed overclocks from the factory and "better" power delivery, both of which don't really matter. Even my lottery-loser card had a better OC than the best factory-OC 1080 (1.81 GHz according to PCPartPicker).

The reason I purchased this specific SKU of the 1080 was because it was the cheapest non-blower version from a reputable manufacturer. As an aside, the stories of EVGA's legendary customer support are 100% true.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

On 30/09/2016 at 4:43 PM, meenmeen1103 said:

The G1 price difference is +$30 canadian after currency conversion.

Yes but if I compare with last year or two year, the conversion would have been totally different. Because of the change, the price is a lot higher.

On 30/09/2016 at 5:08 PM, Weird Face said:

I've had 2 EVGA GTX 1080s - not at the same time mind you - and here's my experiences. They were both reference PCBs with EVGA's ACX 3.0 cooler (SKU: 08G-P4-6181-KR).

First card: Very poor overclocker, barely made it past 1900 MHz core OC, about +50 on the VRAM. Died within half a day of use, which is where #2 comes in as an RMA.

Second card: RMA replacement for #1. Good overclocker. Core overclocked to 2063 - 2075 MHz, VRAM overclocked to +500 with rock-solid stability.

Considering the 1080 I have is a reference card with stock power delivery and everything, and 2100 MHz core is the most commonly observed upper limit for air-cooled cards, it shows that it's purely up to the silicon lottery that's determining your maximum overclocks, not the fancy power delivery or custom PCBs.

The only bonus you get from custom cards are small guaranteed overclocks from the factory and "better" power delivery, both of which don't really matter. Even my lottery-loser card had a better OC than the best factory-OC 1080 (1.81 GHz according to PCPartPicker).

The reason I purchased this specific SKU of the 1080 was because it was the cheapest non-blower version from a reputable manufacturer. As an aside, the stories of EVGA's legendary customer support are 100% true.

If I want to go for a "theme" (motherboard and GPU same brand), would you recommand me the EVGA Z170 Stinger or FTW against what I had in mind first (gigabyte Z170 Ultra Gaming) ?    Note that my case will have a USB 3.1 type C in front.