GPU got hit by a falling floor fan and detached from the motherboard

lucagrabacr

Okay so, I just moved to a new house and had everything temporarily set up in a kinda chaotic way in the living room. I have my PC case with its side open on the floor and a plastic floor fan besides me on a couch. The fan fell off the couch, slid down in an angle and managed to hit the upper portion of my GPU's circuit board (It's a ZOTAC 750ti which has an exposed circuit board) with one of its pointy body's ends. The back side of the GPU got detached from the motherboard and it killed the display as the computer was running when it happened. I immediately turned off the PC using the power button seconds after it happened.

I took the GPU off to see if there's any physical damage and there SEEMS to be no physical damage, although there's a very tiny dent on the edge of the board, but I don't know if it was caused by the fan or not. I put the GPU back in and everything seems to be working just fine. My question is, is there a way to check if it did something bad to my GPU? Like a software to see if the fan / etc is malfunctioning? I'm paranoid now :(

I think its fine. It just lost the connection because of the impact.

Why don't you just play a game and see if it worked?

5 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

is there a way to check if it did something bad to my GPU? Like a software to see if the fan / etc is malfunctioning? I'm paranoid now :(

Not that I am aware of .  Why not use your GPU and see if it does what it used to . If it doesn't there is something wrong if it does don't lose sleep over it.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

this is a GPU:

220px-6600GT_GPU.jpg

and this is a video card:

640px-NVIDIA_GeForce_6600_GT_Personal_Ci

care to explain what happened, this time clearly?

Run a synthetic benchmark (unigine heaven on max for example) for a few hours and you should see if there are any issues.

Hmm alright, I'll run some games and see if there's any difference in performance. I don't usually pay that much attention to how many FPS I'm getting in my games though (except they run on borderline 30 FPS, which is rare)

Why does it matter zMeul ? Unless you know of a way that magically tests gpu/video card for physical damage.

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this is a GPU:

220px-6600GT_GPU.jpg

and this is a video card:

640px-NVIDIA_GeForce_6600_GT_Personal_Ci

care to explain what happened, this time clearly?

Ah, the video card's circuit board then. I used to use the terms interchangeably.  

2 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

Run a synthetic benchmark (unigine heaven on max for example) for a few hours and you should see if there are any issues.

I'll try that. But how do I know if there's any issue that's caused by physical damage from the benchmark?

If anything is majorly screwed up with you card your computer will crash, if not you're more than likely fine.

But how do I know if there's any issue that's caused by physical damage from the benchmark?

Oh for $eitys sake lucagrabacr If it works it works if it doesn't it doesn't.  No one (without physical access to your hardware) can tell if anythings broken .  Stop looking for definites there are none.

"This too shall pass"