Old Timers... Warning Old persons comments within! :)

jugster42

Does anyone my age (44) or older ever look at there IT and think... I am in My own Future.... like startrek game true minus the space bit..

My first computer was a zx81..(with 16k Ram Pack!! ) :) 

I just look at my desktop PC at work with 2x27" and 1x22" monitors and think shitballs... its awesome! :)

I'm also 39 and completely get it, my first PC was a Packard Bell 286 that ran at 8 MHz (12 MHz in turbo mode) and now I have a 4.4GHz hexcore that actually was about $1000 cheaper than the 286.  My kids use the 3d printer for school projects like I used scissors and glue and have trouble believing that a phone was at one point just for talking on.

I'm 33, I still recall the Commondore64 with ChaseHQ on a cartridge, and being stunned by the loading speed.  Then a Pentium 1 with Windows 95, with 100mhz and 16MB Ram., and the way Windows 95 was a huge step up from 3.1.  Still learning now :)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I'm  younger than that but still, got started on a Spectrum 48K, welcomed by a Basic screen, loading games from cassettes just like the audio ones... Losing an afternoon of programming with one wrong keystroke, because who's gonna save every 5 minutes in those damned tapes? ^_^ 

I remember the first time I saw a 256-color VGA monitor (and Monkey Island 2 in it), mind instantly blown. Playing games and imagining "if this was possible, if one day they can do that", etc. I know I'm old when I look at current games and no longer think of what could be done if technology was better, just what could be done if developers' made different choices.

38 Here.   And yeah I am with you.  My first computer was a TI99 that I actually still own and still works.  To think how far things have come in such a short time.   Looking back there was no way we could have imagined where things would really go.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

52 minutes ago, KWelz said:

*snip*

Looking back there was no way we could have imagined where things would really go. 

Even looking at a few years ago and the advancements made now are amazing, new phones coming out with specs of PCs I had 4-5 years ago? (2.3Ghz Quad-cores with 4GB or RAM and 1080p+ screens ... WTF! xD )

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Soon to be 34. First PC was a Tandy 286, something like this: 

Image result for tandy 286 computer

My, how times have changed. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I need to see LMG take the above computer, and put a quad SLi beast inside it.  AND keep the floppy drive working. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

You guys are old (:P). I just turned 20 a couple of months ago. The first computer I remember using is this particular color(Bondi Blue) of iMac G3. I also remember using an even older Mac that used to belong to my grandpa who died from a heart attack in 2001. I believe it was made in 1991 or something, and it was the only computer in my house that was capable of playing some sort of Asteroids game in which you're a little ship and shoot asteroids made of simple lines. It had something to do with the supported color modes. I still miss that old thing, because I was playing that game in our cushy basement during a thunderstorm, and there must have been a power surge or something, because there was an outage and it never turned on after that moment. RIP. :(

So, even though I'm not as old as you guys, I still have some fond memories of old computers, and I have a connection to the past via my dad, who is 61. He's taken programming courses using punch cards, and he still has some really old graphics boards that he helped design when he worked at a company called TrueVision(or TruVision; I forget how it's spelled), and he told me that he worked with the person who first came up with the idea of dedicated video memory. 

IMac_Bondi_Blue.jpg

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

And people "complain" about prices now :)

Tandy.jpg

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

17 minutes ago, Earnhardt said:

And people "complain" about prices now :)

Tandy.jpg

Oh my heart :( 

We had a 386 machine like this come back from one of our hydroelectric plants a few months back. Poor thing could barely breath.

>tfw youre 15 and the first computer you used ran windows 98

woah

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

I got that future feeling more from an ebook reader than from modern PCs. I don't really have different a system to 10 years ago really, progress of late has been quite slow on CPUs, RAM and monitors. Whereas a tiny ebook reader that you can carry around to read with a touch screen with days of battery that is straight out of star trek.

I started on the C64 and while complexity of programming has gone up its mostly churn rather than genuine improvement.

Dude I'm 24 and I still shock myself with this stuff regularly. Just the other day I used "OK, Google" to wake my phone, check a text, send a text, then set an alarm for next monday with a reminder to bring something to work, all while the phone was sitting on the other side of the room. I thought "so this is what it's like to have a digital servant." 

And soon I'll have a smart house once I have IoT connected lights, speakers all over the house, doorlocks, etc. I love voice commands and it always makes me feel like I'm in the future.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

I'm 35 now and my first PC was one my parents bought me (think i was about 13) and it was a 386SX...

I have SO much stuff now sometimes i feel like i haven't learned the value of money from them, but then i work hard, put money away in savings, my wife also works and at the end of the day what is the point of working if you can't buy yourself and your family the things that you are lucky enough to afford.

But 27" 1440p monitor, lol i remember my old EGA CRT display

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

I am 50. My first computer was also a ZX81 with 16k 'wobble' pack (although that came at a later date).

Elite on the BBC was the most immersed I've ever been in a game - that 'reality' was a product of my own imagination.

Once VR has ironed out its wrinkles and matured a bit, it will surpass what I ever envisioned would be a reality in my lifetime.

TheFutureIsHere_zpsag0gor5b.jpg

I'm working on my dream ...

Edit: Oh yes, and there's Voice Attack to go with that.

I'm only 18, and I remember getting my first hand-me-down from my grandma (eMachines 633is with a 633MHz Celeron, 64MB of RAM, and shit onboard graphics) and thinking that it was a monster.

And a while after that I remember getting an older HP Pavilion (something like the 8595C) with a 500MHz Pentium 3, onboard ATI RAGE 3D graphics, and like 128MB of RAM, all with the magnificent beast known as the 19.2GB Bigfoot TS. Still my favorite PC (and hard drive) to date.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, KWelz said:

38 Here.   And yeah I am with you.  My first computer was a TI99 that I actually still own and still works.  To think how far things have come in such a short time.   Looking back there was no way we could have imagined where things would really go.  

We had one of those, played Parsec, Munchman and The Chisholm Trail on that.

Had Speccy 16, 48 and 128k and I can remember our first PC, can't remember the specs but it was made by Commodore and ran Windows 2 on a 20mb HDD.

First dedicated GPU was a Voodoo 2, think it had 16mb. Still remember the 3dfx, logo, good days.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

47ad887057cbd8f2937197b68f235b3c.png

Started on this beast when I was a kid, The first laptop I got was an A1181, That thing was cutting edge back in the time.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

this is probably what my dad feels, he is 67 and was one of the first people to have acces to a computer here in Sweden when he was studiyng at colage and has seen all computer development since and now im a total computer nerd and the best part is that he gets quite a lot of my random rambles about PC shit because he was super techy when coputers first came around and he worked a lot with early computers.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, jugster42 said:

Does anyone my age (44) or older ever look at there IT and think... I am in My own Future.... like startrek game true minus the space bit..

My first computer was a zx81..(with 16k Ram Pack!! ) :) 

I just look at my desktop PC at work with 2x27" and 1x22" monitors and think shitballs... its awesome!

I'm not old, rather, I'm only 22. That said, I'm jealous of all of these older computer guys. Yall got to see things go from basic  ;) to the impossible to understand modern systems that we have now. I feel like people of that generation kind of have a better sense of why computer things are the way they are and how they work. 

But besides that, my dad once showed me his first "computer": A mechanical calculator with trig functions (he's not quite that old but still). Those things are so complex and amazing. His was particularly nice and artful. 

unnamed1.jpg

Now that is mechanical engineering.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Not in the 30 club, but I feel ya. Started with Amiga 500. Sadly I don't have it anymore.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.