Cpu overheating for no reason

Go to solution Solved by Tgills3,

The heat sink is tight and thermal paste is good... rebooting in a minute 

I just built a pc and for some reason my Cpu fan went crazy. I restarted the computer and went into the bios were it told me it was 90C and it wouldn't stop rising when the room and case (Area around the Cpu socket) was not hot at all.

How long have you had the PC?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Please tell me you took off the plastic on your cooler

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I tried resetting the bios and it crashed... so im resetting the CMOS

Just now, Tgills3 said:

I have had it for around 1 month

Did you take the plastic off of your cooler's heat spreader when you installed it?

Just now, Tgills3 said:

I just built a pc and for some reason my Cpu fan went crazy. I restarted the computer and went into the bios were it told me it was 90C and it wouldn't stop rising when the room and case (Area around the Cpu socket) was not hot at all.

step one, take your cpu cooler off and make sure you have a proper amount/spread of thermal paste... then make sure your cooler is screwed down all the way.

1 minute ago, Tgills3 said:

I tried resetting the bios and it crashed... so im resetting the CMOS

Stop. You could unintentionally and unnecessarily blow up your BIOS over a simple fix. Check the cooler mount first. Make sure there's enough thermal paste, that the plastic was removed, and that it's mounted properly.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Stop. You could unintentionally and unnecessarily blow up your BIOS over a simple fix. Check the cooler mount first. Make sure there's enough thermal paste, that the plastic was removed, and that it's mounted properly.

Blow up the bios? Unlikely but I do agree. As an IT Tech I know first hand.... Try the simple things first.

Just now, lopj245 said:

Blow up the bios? Unlikely but I do agree. As an IT Tech I know first hand.... Try the simple things first.

I've watched someone try to flash a BIOS update, freak out because the screen froze, then mash down the power button and yank out the CMOS battery.

New motherboard in 3...2...1......

13 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Reset CMOS =/= Flash CMOS. I haven't even started the college courses for A+ cert and I know that. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Reset CMOS =/= Flash CMOS. I haven't even started the college courses for A+ cert and I know that. :P

As do I, which makes my brain's seeing "resetting" and thinking "flashing" all the more inexcusable.

Good night, folks. :P

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

As do I, which makes my brain's seeing "resetting" and thinking "flashing" all the more inexcusable.

Good night, folks. :P

I know the feel. :P

Hell, I can barely type from my music right now. It's a little loud.

(i can feel my face vibrating)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The heat sink is tight and thermal paste is good... rebooting in a minute 

38 minutes ago, Tgills3 said:

i didn't work the cpu is still climbing from 65C in the bios

What are the specs of your system? Do you have a PCPartPicker list you can paste over?

If it's an AIO cooler I suspect the pump isn't running. Make sure you have connected it correctly as per the instructions :P

first of all 

WHAT COOLER
WHAT CPU 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

10 hours ago, Tgills3 said:

Please help

Could you upload some pictures showing that the CPU cooler has thermal paste and is making good contact with the CPU

Yes it was the AIO pump... I bought a new one and the problem is fixed

Thank you for the support