AMD 8350

I'm probably in the wrong thread.. Sorry about that.

I gotta say, WOW I CANNOT BELIEVE people railed on the 8350 as hard as they did. I've had mine since 2013.
I've only had issues with ONE game and that's ARMA 3.
I'm editing 4k timelines now off of a WD Black and having ZERO issues.

It's a FINE processor.

As an example, I saw a guy selling a system with a Samsung SSD, 8350, GTX 770, and 8gb ram for $450. This thing is vastly undervalued.

You can bring up IPC if you want. But seriously. Try to get a hands on before shooting me down if you can.

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-6700k-6600k-amd-fx-8370/

minimums ruin gaming experience 

on average, an i5 600k will beat the fx 8370

the i7 6700k will crush it

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I like mine.  That being said sandy bridge i5s still work fine too.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I have one, but I have no idea how u edit a 4k timeline with yours. I struggle to edit a 1080p timeline with mine. but gaming is decent and all around I've had a good experience with it. Also mine overclocks like a beast, I ran 4.8Ghz stable for a while.

17 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

I see SO many people getting caught up in having the most recent thing...

The fact is, why spend one something that is nearly 6 years old when you could wait for ZEN or go with intel. I don't even know how you edit in 4k with that processes. I had trouble editing 1080p videos when i had FX8350. The game experience was horrible ... constant drops frames with 980ti, when i switch like a month later to Intel all the problem went ... even my SSD have better performance and OS didn't feel choppy. 

Please don't say it was due to new install of OS, i reinstall windows like twice on that old machine and same problem. 

Magical Pineapples

I have little to no problem with AMD CPU's but why buy something that is so outdated when you can pay a little bit more and get something more recent. Until AMD Zen arrives, I will stick with Intel.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

19 minutes ago, Warning said:

I have little to no problem with AMD CPU's but why buy something that is so outdated when you can pay a little bit more and get something more recent. Until AMD Zen arrives, I will stick with Intel.

I agree with this but again... budget workstation. 
If you're going for used..... It's something to consider.

Just now, Captain Matt said:

I agree with this but again... budget workstation. 
If you're going for used..... It's something to consider.

Budget they are very nice but used I think I would look for intel first and if I'm not in luck go with AMD. 

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

35 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

The fact is, why spend one something that is nearly 6 years old when you could wait for ZEN or go with intel. I don't even know how you edit in 4k with that processes. I had trouble editing 1080p videos when i had FX8350. The game experience was horrible ... constant drops frames with 980ti, when i switch like a month later to Intel all the problem went ... even my SSD have better performance and OS didn't feel choppy. 

Please don't say it was due to new install of OS, i reinstall windows like twice on that old machine and same problem. 

What editing software were you using?
What kind of files were you trying to view in your preview editor? (AVI's are TOTALLY unwieldy) 
Was your editor properly setup to utilize the power of your GPU  for previews?

I'm not on a fresh install. I use Premiere Pro CC (I'm on 2015.3 now). Also of note, I have 16 GB RAM.

12 minutes ago, Warning said:

Budget they are very nice but used I think I would look for intel first and if I'm not in luck go with AMD. 

The problem is that the Intel builds don't depreciate... And that's with good reason. But still. They don't depreciate.
A used XX70K series processor... even 3700 series still can go for $250-$300 most of the time...

1 hour ago, Captain Matt said:

What editing software were you using?
What kind of files were you trying to view in your preview editor? (AVI's are TOTALLY unwieldy) 
Was your editor properly setup to utilize the power of your GPU  for previews?

I'm not on a fresh install. I use Premiere Pro CC (I'm on 2015.3 now). Also of note, I have 16 GB RAM.

The problem is that the Intel builds don't depreciate... And that's with good reason. But still. They don't depreciate.
A used XX70K series processor... even 3700 series still can go for $250-$300 most of the time...

Adobe CC/After Effect

AutoDesk

Autodesk programs is fucking shit on FX, more lagging than my school i5 3th generation with only 8GB of ram and with slow hard drive.... 

Well see the fact you have convert file format which is optimized such as mp4, i had no trouble editing in all type of format after the upgrade which means i don't really need to convert all files i get from client to optimized version as most of time it works fine as it is. 

Ram makes little diffident i have 16GB before now 32GB.  The money is worth it if you going with high resolution gaming or high fps for 144hz.   

Magical Pineapples

32 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Adobe CC/After Effect

AutoDesk

Autodesk programs is fucking shit on FX, more lagging than my school i5 3th generation with only 8GB of ram and with slow hard drive.... 

Well see the fact you have convert file format which is optimized such as mp4, i had no trouble editing in all type of format after the upgrade which means i don't really need to convert all files i get from client to optimized version as most of time it works fine as it is. 

Ram makes little diffident i have 16GB before now 32GB.  The money is worth it if you going with high resolution gaming or high fps for 144hz.   

Ahhh AutDesk I can imagine yeah....

I don't convert my files or make proxies. Even when I used a super-entry grade version of Vegas. I edited straight from AVI's out of fraps lol.

I get 120-150 fps in Overwatch on high settings... so.... (And I'm on an ASUS VG248 24" (144 hz). I'm skeptical of needing to go Intel for gaming.
Maybe for Cities: Skylines... but I would like to say again... "mainstream games". And what I mean by that is TF2, CSGO, DoTa, League... Overwatch. Easy to run.

It's nice that it works for you, but AMD chips don't work for the majority of custom builders. It's usually worth investing an additional $100 (if even that) into a Xeon E3-1231v3 or similar for even your use case, otherwise a lower end i5 or a higher end i3 will do most gamers more justice than an AMD processor ever will.

30 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

I get 120-150 fps in Overwatch on high settings... so.... (And I'm on an ASUS VG248 24" (144 hz). I'm skeptical of needing to go Intel for gaming.

Here's the prob with that statement: Can you get 300 FPS steady? Doesn't matter what res or graphical setting, but uh, if you're not getting 300 FPS, I'm not interested.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I own this chip. Difference between it and even an Intel 4 core is more drastic than you think.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

On 9/30/2016 at 2:05 PM, Suika said:

It's nice that it works for you, but AMD chips don't work for the majority of custom builders. It's usually worth investing an additional $100 (if even that) into a Xeon E3-1231v3 or similar for even your use case, otherwise a lower end i5 or a higher end i3 will do most gamers more justice than an AMD processor ever will.

Here's the prob with that statement: Can you get 300 FPS steady? Doesn't matter what res or graphical setting, but uh, if you're not getting 300 FPS, I'm not interested.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I own this chip. Difference between it and even an Intel 4 core is more drastic than you think.

I top that, when i had fx cpu my fps is not stable at 200 fps, it frequently drops to 60 or lower. Stable fps is better than high max. 

Magical Pineapples