New company and product name

Aseb861

Hello,

So my team are starting a product that will compete with steam, but problem is that we dont have a company name or product name. We thought of asking a community instead, so could you please help us by providing a company and product name. Thanks so much!

Alex

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........

Try,Good Luck Inc!

Spoiler

System

CPU i5 6600k -- Motherboard ROG Maximus VIII Gene

RAM 16gb DDR4 LPX Vengence 3000 -- GPU MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk

Case Corsair 350D w/ Corsair Commander Mini and Lighting

Storage 2x 2tb Hitatchi 3.5" & 240gb Samsung 850 EVO

PSU Corsair RM750i -- Display Dell U3415W 34" 3440 x 1440p

Cooling CPU: H100i v2 & GPU: H75 -- Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB

Mouse Logitech Proteus g502 -- Sound Sennheiser 363d

Operating System Windows 10 Pro

*compete with steam*

Not a good idea, but w/e. 

On what grounds are you trying to actually conpete with them on so people can get a better idea? Game distribution? Community? Developer tools? 

Steam is widespread, so, yea. 

Also, without widespread developer, publisher, and server backing your project will never be successful. 

I mean... Two of the largest publishers in the business EA, and ubishit have both attempted this with origin and ulay, and both have been horrendous failures, full of bugs, lacking game support, lacking tools, broken servers, and lacking support from game developers. And im seriously, seriously doubtful your unnamed group could match the kind of resources and talent that both ea and ubisoft can pull together. 

Theres no profit to be made from competeting with steam unless youre already a game publisher who can make your content exclusive. dont waste your time. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

8 minutes ago, Aseb861 said:

So my team are starting a product that will compete with steam

Uhm...

You can't really compete with something as big as Steam, that's like making some soda in your basement and saying it's going to compete with coke.

You could call it.... Vapor?

(get it because steam lol)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

13 minutes ago, Aseb861 said:

Hello,

So my team are starting a product that will compete with steam, but problem is that we dont have a company name or product name. We thought of asking a community instead, so could you please help us by providing a company and product name. Thanks so much!

Alex

Good luck there buddy. I'd honestly go back to square one with that idea.

Anyways, any sort of one-word name with easy spelling would be best, as those are often the most recognizable brands. Something like this, for example.

Bullseyegaming1.png

Deadsent1.png

Iconwork courtesy Icons8.

Name it

dexxterlab97

11 minutes ago, Aseb861 said:

Hello,

Alex

You will have to do more then just compete with steam, such as origin,

gog

https://www.gog.com/

Green man gaming,

and many more.

How do you even plan on making yours better then steam, or one of the alternatives to it?

You could name it Gaseous H2O, and call your company faucet.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Such cancerous replies here. He's just asking for a name you guys, not your opinions about what he's doing.

Anyways I think it should be a single word and keep it simple.

This would be good place to say if you don't even have enough imagination for company and service naming, you will have really hard time to be innovative about features of your service. Going against biggest platforms in business will require more than at par features and service. Steam has biggest selection of games, Origin has best customer service, UPlay has most AAA games under their banner, GOG.com offers DRM free content etc.

E: Oh, my imagination is $20 per name. For $100 I can come up with several, like 10. PM for longer contracts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Aseb861 said:

Hello,

Alex

What an interesting thought.....

Firstly good luck as you are gonna need it big time. Steam is world wide. They have a huge customer base so trying to compete with steam will result in catastrophic failure at this moment of time. Saying that its not impossible, Nothing is impossible!

Set your goal lower because it is a dog eat dog world on the net. Legitimate sites being undercut but torrent sites etc. I do like to see people take on the big boys and its been known to happen. Sadly I cant give you an example from the top of my head at the moment. 

Going back to goals. Set a low goal and once you have reached it then move the goal posts further until you reach that and doing it again and again. 

What concerns me is that your team does not have a company or product name.... Have you thought about other things, servers, hosting, Are you doing it from home or a commercial premises and would the ISP allow the incoming bandwidth ? Alot of ISP's would not allow alot of incoming bandwidth on a residential line. 

Anyway like I said. Nothing is impossible and good luck :)

Best Regards

Iain. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

And security, what about that, that is hard to get good enough, especially for few people.

But I won't stop you, it isn't impossible, just very very hard to succeed.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Odgit Bodgit and Scarper.

No was taken by Hello Games as their company description.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I don't know why I expected the majority of this community to offer names like you asked instead of telling you why it's a bad idea and politely implying that you can't do it. So hard to just answer the question.

I honestly don't have a name for it and wouldn't have commented but I'm let down again by LTT forums

Shipping sucks

1 hour ago, GSTARR said:

I don't know why I expected the majority of this community to offer names like you asked instead of telling you why it's a bad idea and politely implying that you can't do it. So hard to just answer the question.

I honestly don't have a name for it and wouldn't have commented but I'm let down again by LTT forums

Sometimes question begs too much for asking about realities. Imagination is big part of game industry. If company management lacks it, they don't get far. Not without money, because copying competition and buying people with imagination isn't cheap.

I'll throw a suggestion for fun. Breeze. Or do as some other, pick dictionary, open from random page and and point to word eyes closed. Testing... gives "Fountain". Thats actually pretty good. Company could be then called "Sprinkle".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Sometimes question begs too much for asking about realities. Imagination is big part of game industry. If company management lacks it, they don't get far. Not without money, because copying competition and buying people with imagination isn't cheap.

I'll throw a suggestion for fun. Breeze. Or do as some other, pick dictionary, open from random page and and point to word eyes closed. Testing... gives "Fountain". Thats actually pretty good. Company could be then called "Sprinkle".

It honestly doesn't matter.

He asked a question, give him an answer to the question. That's it. Simple as that. It only "begs too much" because to any certain group, a certain idea will seem almost offensively impossible and the amount of people who can't control themselves and let people just do what they want is growing annoying large.

Shipping sucks

Just now, GSTARR said:

It honestly doesn't matter.

He asked a question, give him an answer to the question. That's it. Simple as that. It only "begs too much" because to any certain group, a certain idea will seem almost offensively impossible and the amount of people who can't control themselves and let people just do what they want is growing annoying large.

I agree in every other type of asking a question. This one just ticks that part of me. Which happens to be power of imagination.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

'Compete with Steam'

usually this doesn't end well, as in why compete with a large company when you can also differentiate yourself.. Anyways, some names you could use are:

GamePlace, HubSquare and I can't think of more because you didn't give enough info to work with..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Does anyone actually think that this was a legitimate solicitation for help?  

I believe it was more a probing post than anything.  Hell, LMG is probably running an experiment on us. :D

The account was created a couple of minutes before the OP and hasn't been used since.  

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Does anyone actually think that this was a legitimate solicitation for help?  

I believe it was more a probing post than anything.  Hell, LMG is probably running an experiment on us. :D

The account was created a couple of minutes before the OP and hasn't been used since.  

Yeah, I just used this as an excuse to make some art. I doubt this was anything serious. Probably some 12 year old who just learned how to make a loop in JS.