Can anyone please explain this to me??

Dylanc431

So, I was scrolling through EUCOMTECH looking for an RX 480 when I spot this odd looking beast priced at DOUBLE that of the RX480, I'd love to know what the hell it is and why it justifies that pricetag, because really? something that looks like its from 2006 and only has 2GB of VRAM commanding a €300+ pricetag?? 

anyways, here it is! thoughts down below please!

what..PNG

2 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

So, I was scrolling through EUCOMTECH looking for an RX 480 when I spot this odd looking beast priced at DOUBLE that of the RX480, I'd love to know what the hell it is and why it justifies that pricetag, because really? something that looks like its from 2006 and only has 2GB of VRAM commanding a €300+ pricetag?? 

anyways, here it is! thoughts down below please!

what..PNG

Its from the Firepro line-up which can be seen as the Xeon line-up of intel and quadro one of nvidia.

There just really expensive and have better double precision.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

1. Its not worth that much. They just happen to have one and no one has remove it from inventory

2. Its a workstation gpu. They normally go for 3 to 5 times the price of conusmer gpu's for a few small features.

First of all, it's likely an old card so its price probably hasn't updated in years.

Second of all, it's a FirePro card, which you can pretty much say is AMD's Quadros and if you know anything about Quadros, you know why it is priced how it is. If you don't, I would recommend you watch the Techquickie episode on them. Pretty much, they often have some advantage for prosumers/pros and Nvidia/AMD charge more on these pro(sumer) cards to make back their costs of R&D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's a firepro card, designed for workstations.

They use certified drivers for professional programs and such thing costs money.

The card runs at lower speeds and some of them have much more memory than normal cards. But they are a lot more stable.

More extensive tests are done before the gpu gets approved.

I know previous generation workstation cards could do things normal cards couldn't do, but i don't know if that's still the case today.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Because it's a workstation GPU. It has fancy features that allow them to price them that high (essentially)

I found on the AMD site that its a card made for CAD, that could explain it but honestly, I would have thought something more powerful would be better for a job like that

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

It's a firepro card, designed for workstations.

They use certified drivers for professional programs and such thing costs money.

The card runs at lower speeds and some of them have much more memory than normal cards. But they are a lot more stable.

More extensive tests are done before the gpu gets approved.

I know previous generation workstation cards could do things normal cards couldn't do, but i don't know if that's still the case today.

yeah, AMD says its designed for CAD, but it still begs the question, if you need something that gives you elite precision then would you not need a more powerful card?

But what baffles me is that AMD themselves dont put it under professional graphics, they reserve that for the new Firepros with like 32GB of VRAM

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

They are workstation cards.. they has something called ECC ( error correcting code ).
just like a server memory..

nope, just standard GDDR5

Just now, Andydandyfiddy said:

They do have ECC Memory. Most AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quadros have that.

well even after trawling through spec sheets I found no reference to it at all, just the fact that its GDDR5 on a 256 bit bus

Just now, Andydandyfiddy said:

Watch Linus' Video on Quadro Cards. You'll see

this is not a quadro though...

1 minute ago, Andydandyfiddy said:

1 minute ago, Andydandyfiddy said:

ahh, I see the confusion, the displayport version of this card has it, the DVI version does not