A build that is IMPOSSIBLE for Linus to build.

CRikhard
37 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

It's a little more simple than that.  For 240v, one breaker on each leg, so two 15amp breakers. 110v is just one breaker on one leg, with a neutral wire and an earth ground. 

I'm not an engineer, just recently replaced my electric hot water tank! :D

To meet code you have to use a double pole 220v breaker instead of two 110v ones.  But basically the neutral wire from the 110v circuit becomes the 2nd hot wire in a 220v circuit.

The question I have is are consumer PSUs able to run off 220v in the US?  Most are rated like 100-240 volts but is it only for the European standard where there's one 220v hot wire, a neutral, and a ground or can they run on the US 220v standard where we have two 110v hot wires, a ground and no neutral?

46 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

To meet code you have to use a double pole 220v breaker instead of two 110v ones.  But basically the neutral wire from the 110v circuit becomes the 2nd hot wire in a 220v circuit.

The question I have is are consumer PSUs able to run off 220v in the US?  Most are rated like 100-240 volts but is it only for the European standard where there's one 220v hot wire, a neutral, and a ground or can they run on the US 220v standard where we have two 110v hot wires, a ground and no neutral?

that's related to the frequency, in Europe they have 50Hz and here we have 60Hz. I'm guessing it would run fine out of 220-240v @ 60Hz rather than 50Hz

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

that's related to the frequency, in Europe they have 50Hz and here we have 60Hz. I'm guessing it would run fine out of 220-240v @ 60Hz rather than 50Hz

On my AX860i it says 100-240v and 50-60Hz.  Been searching for the last 10 minutes and can't find a straight answer if it actually requires a neutral. 

7 hours ago, CRikhard said:

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

Then again, they did do 8 Titan Xs :P

Dual PSU's are totally doable. Some cases even have 2x PSU mounting areas (Basement or Ceiling, usually). When BSMods were on Scrapyard Wars, one of them was talking about how (Sorry Austin Evans) there was a correct and incorrect way to use dual PSU's in a build.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

While that's true, as others have mentioned, you can get 120V/20A and 30A circuits in North America. Home Depot stocks the 20A stuff, but 30A is a bit harder to come by.

While not just anyone will be wiring up a new circuit, it's definitely doable, with a little skill and some research. Hell, there are guides online that will walk you through the steps (Though I don't advise that unless you're already comfortable doing that sort of stuff).

5 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Every power supply I've used, admittingly a small sample size, can be switched between 120/240VAC.  240V 15amp outlets are pretty common and not hard to wire in.  I believe that would open up about 3.6kW of available power.

PSU's being switchable is pretty much a standard, so they can be used interchangeably between NA and Europe without making a different product.

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

In North America it would be easier and cheaper to get a 120v 20A circuit than a 240v circuit and outlet (not sure we have "regular" 3 prongs 240v outlet here, but don't quote me on this).

There are 3 prong 240V outlets, but they look different. I'm not sure of the voltage, but we have a couple of circuits in our server room that use the triple prong locking circular connector (I think they're either 120V 30A or 240V 20A) - our giant UPS's plug into them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

*snip*

When I was talking about circuit, I was also including the wiring, though I didn't mention it. Did some wiring in my house and the "standard" (read cheap) wire I bought was rated @15amps ... that means you can't just replace the circuit breaker and outlet. Not sure rewiring part of the house with 20A or 30A wires only to have a PSU > 1800w is worth it. ;)

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

psu with 2 outlets, plug on into one side of the house  and other side into the other xD

or just use a 240V outlet.

I wanna see Linus use his connections with supermicro, kingston, nvidia, and intel to make a build in one of these babies: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/7U/7088/SYS-7088B-TR4FT.cfm

I want to see a 192 core build with 6tb of ram and up to 8 x16 and 7x8 PCI cards...

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

8 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

There aren't any 2 kW power supplies, simply because most homes don't have any transformers that will deliver 230 volts into an AC outlet. One such power supply that requires a 200-240 volt AC input is the Super Flower Leadex 2000 8 Pack power supply, a monstrosity of a power supply.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

10 hours ago, Kierax said:

I want to see him make a waterproof computer.  Then drive through a carwash with it running in the bed of a pickup.  While doing the Crysis 3 benchmark!

With water cooled components, and only leaving the radiator outside of a sealed case, cool the radiator with the noctua industrial fans that resist water.    Easy.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

He already did a quad 290x build a while back that used about 1200w

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

8 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

There aren't any 2 kW power supplies, simply because most homes don't have any transformers that will deliver 230 volts into an AC outlet. One such power supply that requires a 200-240 volt AC input is the Super Flower Leadex 2000 8 Pack power supply, a monstrosity of a power supply.

240V master race  m8 thumb.gif

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

9 hours ago, Arty said:

psu with 2 outlets, plug on into one side of the house  and other side into the other xD

Just found that product while reading the Tesla forums... Had no idea it existed!! xD

Turns two 120v outlet into one 240v outlet!

http://www.quick220.com/-A220-15D.html

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Just found that product while reading the Tesla forums... Had no idea it existed!! xD

Can't you just run through a transformer to achieve the same thing? Not sure if you can transform up though? 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Can't you just run through a transformer to achieve the same thing? Not sure if you can transform up though? 

Yes you can, but you can't convert a 120v outlet into 240v of higher wattage ... Even through a transformer you would still get a max of 1800w (but that would be lower since transformers aren't 100% efficient).

The adapter I linked uses 2 120v outlets that are on different phases, that's how it makes the 240v 3600w happen! ;)

19 hours ago, CRikhard said:

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

also its realistically a 450w GPU

take it from someone who OWNS one

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

Oh, f***k wall power, let's run this thing form a dedicated gas generator! On a pickup. As it enters the car wash.

Or replace the pickup engine with said generator. Then turn cockpit into PC desk. Anyone can use a computer, but can you board your computer? 

Also, to hell with performance, I want an FX-9590 in that thing. We have a truck radiator at our disposal anyway. I can already imagine Robert Duvall in a cavalry hat, praising the smell...

(*) Build sponsored by Exxon :P 

11 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

Here's one: 3 way SLI on an ITX motherboard.

I've seen it done before though...

PCIe bifurcation bby

Needs a PLX bridge thing built on though.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

A pfsense router.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

240V master race  m8 thumb.gif

Yep. If the U.S. had 240V for home usage (as in for your typical appliances and such, but of course allowing home users to switch on 120 or 240 volt for any number of AC Outlets), and EVGA does up a "Supernova 2000 P2", I'd buy that for my next power supply upgrade when I actually need one.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

On 9/29/2016 at 3:00 PM, CRikhard said:

You can run dual power supply's, ive done it in the past lmfao

you have to be careful tho, because in america you get a 240 V connection, which splits into 2 120V's one for each" part of the house". so you need to use both of those and not 2 of the same 120 line, pretty sure.  "phase" i heard is the term idk, but putting them on the same one would not end well..... xD

I want linus to do the ultimate budget PC build. That's be impossible for him, he seems to have an urge to spend as much as possible on everything.

1 minute ago, kerbingamer376 said:

I want linus to do the ultimate budget PC build. That's be impossible for him, he seems to have an urge to spend as much as possible on everything.

nope he can do them but it's a rare thing

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD