How noisy does it have to be for open-back headphones to be affected?

CardinalHunter

I'm gonna have a pair of massdrop x akg k7xx shipped to me in a few weeks and I wanna know how noisy it would take to have a pair of open back headphones affected by the noise cuz I'm planning to build a PC.

What noise are you worried about? I hear quite a lot trough my Grado SR80 (also open), but you`ll get used to it.

If you have decent fans in your comp, you won`t notice them, cars, trucks and such will be audible most of the time

to game or not to game, that`s the question

it depends on:

How loud you listen to your music

and how loud the noise pollution is

When building a pc avoid founders GPU's and get a decent cpu cooler like the hyper 212,

this will run your pc quiet unless you start to overclock

Can I go full out on performance without needing to worry about the headphones being affected by the fan noise?

3 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

Can I go full out on performance without needing to worry about the headphones being affected by the fan noise?

if you can hear the fan noise over normal talk then you will be able to hear it as background noise when you have the open back headphones on and playing something. Most people just learn to block it out, if the noise is not that loud

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Whatever you can hear with no headphones on at all would be pretty similar to what you'd hear with open backs, maybe a little bit more muffled. I can hear cars passing (the room my computer is in is on a street), my peripherals when I'm using them and the fans from my computer. It's not that big of a deal though and you do get used to it. If pc noise is a concern you can get better fans. I found replacing the stock cpu cooler with something else helps a lot. 

When playing games or viewing media I really don't notice fan noise. I can head my keyboard when I use it in a game but it's pretty noisy and the only games I've noticed fan noise were the most intensive ones and that was before upgrading my cpu cooler. I wouldn't be worried if I were you, the benefits of open back headphones would probably be worth it.

2 minutes ago, FoxyOrange said:

Whatever you can hear with no headphones on at all would be pretty similar to what you'd hear with open backs, maybe a little bit more muffled. I can hear cars passing (the room my computer is in is on a street), my peripherals when I'm using them and the fans from my computer. It's not that big of a deal though and you do get used to it. If pc noise is a concern you can get better fans. I found replacing the stock cpu cooler with something else helps a lot. 

I plan on getting the Thermaltake Riing 14 RGB Series High Static Pressure 140mm, opinions?

50 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

I plan on getting the Thermaltake Riing 14 RGB Series High Static Pressure 140mm, opinions?

Don't know anything about that fan specifically. I think things to look out for are ones designed to have less noisy motors, I guess? If I'm not mistaken larger fans can push the same amount of air as smaller ones while spinning at lower RPM, thus being more quiet. Some fans will have rubber mounting points or something so that if they vibrate it wont resonate as much in the case. (The pre-installed fans in my case are like that) I've heard people laud Noctula fans.

Something else that can help is, if you haven't bought it already, getting a "silent" case. Fractal Design's are a safe bet in my experience. I have the Define R5 and when you close the front door thing there's still pleanty of space for air to travel in and it does a good job of reducing noise from the PC. 

Edit - my bad for double posting. Meant to edit last post and didn't realise I made a second one. Can be deleted if possible.