[Scratchbuild] FURY - A steel welded case build.

Hi everyone. Got my first handcrafted case build here nearly complete.

Why would I build my own steel case from scratch? I don't like the Ikea furniture or Halo spacecraft style cases. Not my style. With fabrication being my hobby, I figured I could challenge myself with this.

I have been fabricating out of my garage for the past 6 years. Mostly making aftermarket parts for off-road jeeps/trucks. Now with welding, a bit of a warning... Welding sheet metal is still somewhat new to me so this was definitely a learning process during the build. I am by no means an expert at this. I also had very little experience with computers before going into this build. A big thanks to the LTT group for putting out endless information on pretty much everything apart from scratch-building a case although the numerous modular/customizable cases gave me a few ideas. There are still a few things that need to be finished up. The PSU is acting up and I still need to design/cut a front grille for the radiator. Overclocking/benchmark will come later as well, I have already been messing with the CPU/GPU numbers. If enough people want a video I can make a walk-through video with some fabrication clips i took too. I will be posting plenty of manufacturing pictures as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k 4.0GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Alpha VIII

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW

RAM: EVGA 32GB DDR4 3200

PSU: Corsair RM750

CPU Cooling: Corsair 100i v2

Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (4 intake/3 exhaust, Yeah I know, it's a bit excessive)

Main Drive: Samsung 250GB SSD

Storage Drive: Samsung 1TB HDD

Case: Custom fabricated

Keyboard: Logitech G610 MX Red

Mouse: Logitech G700s

Monitor: Dell 3440x1440 Curved 34" (U3415W)

Inspiration: Fury, ZFG RX7, Mad Max, anti-dust/look-cool air filters (yes they are functional)... And I wanted to make it look robust. Like *airdropped out of a C130 and dragged though the desert* kind of robust.

fury-brad-pitt-logan-lerman-shia-labeouf.jpgsddefault.jpglongform-original-8529-1432141863-26.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Preliminary designs:

2016-05-02 22.47.14.jpg2016-05-02 22.47.22 - Copy.jpg27592525560_5088d8b897_o.jpg20160528_193002.jpg

The setup, still no grille yet.

2016-09-28 20.42.11.jpg2016-09-28 23.04.29.jpg2016-09-28 23.04.51.jpg

I made a fixture to get both frames just right.

1.jpg2.jpg

20160502_102357.jpg

Formed these corners on my press brake.

3.jpg4.jpg

Welding in the test-for-fit mounting panels.

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

I designed a back panel and had it water jet cut at a local shop.

10.jpg11.jpg

A hardware test with final mounting points.

12.jpg

I made room for a third 2.5" drive, I might add some huge capacity drive in here later.

13.jpg

cool case :D not my thing because that is probably pretty heavy but it looks cool

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

cool case :D not my thing because that is probably pretty heavy but it looks cool

Thanks! Yeah the case itself is a bit heavy. The whole computer weights only 12kg so it's not bad. I don't have a CD drive and only have 2.5" drives so I save some weight there, and it's easy to carry by the steel frame.

19 hours ago, zMeul said:

using air filters as .. air filters xD

but I'm guessing they restrict the air flow quite a lot

They don't restrict as much as you might think. The material is not much more dense than standard case filters but there is 5 times the surface area than a flat piece of filter.

Dayum !!!! 

so orange plastic plugs on front panel are here to hide USB / Audio Jack plugs !!?? nice.... but won(t you loose them ?

colours and case are stunning

Old style radio grill (kinda fabric wire weave stuff) Maybe under a grill punched from some sheet metal. I used to cut designs out freehand on 2mm ply on a scroll saw. Clamp the template to a piece of sheet metal and cut out the design with a small plasma cutter.

Radio-x.jpg

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

13 hours ago, TurboTim said:

I'm designing the front grille for radiator. I'm starting with simple. Any opinions? Should I add some kind of design in the front?

that looks really cool

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016