RIP Internet.

CostcoSamples

I'm trying to understand how handing IANA over to the UN or ICANN suddenly means Russia, China, and Iran has free reign to do as they please over IP address allocation. I would assume if it was being handed off to an international body there would be a reasonable due process for this crap.

Also the US is considered to have "pervasive internet censorship" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_and_surveillance_by_country (too lazy to list sources, you can go find them on there)

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

snip

That chart makes no sense when countries like Germany censor anything Nazi related or when  many European countries are trying to block torrent sites outright

The US's internet is uncensored, monitored by the NSA it may be but censored no; lumping the two together doesn't make sense.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That chart makes no sense when countries like Germany censor anything Nazi related or when  many European countries are trying to block torrent sites outright

The US's internet is uncensored, monitored by the NSA it may be but censored no the only time lumping the two together doesn't make sense.

The US has seized domains on multiple occasions, and if you really want to get technical, Facebook, Twitter, and numerous US based social websites routinely remove content that is considered detrimental to political stability (e.g., banning ISIS from using them)

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

snip

US based companies are subject to US laws, if the government takes down a company it also grabs anything that company owns, but this also happens in all of those green european countries as well, sweden with the piratebay for example, if the US falls under that category they all should

EU

https://torrentfreak.com/eu-proposes-mandatory-piracy-filters-for-online-services-160914/

Mexico

https://torrentfreak.com/mexican-police-target-popular-kickasstorrents-clone-seize-domain-160923/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm trying to understand how handing IANA over to the UN or ICANN suddenly means Russia, China, and Iran has free reign to do as they please over IP address allocation. I would assume if it was being handed off to an international body there would be a reasonable due process for this crap.

Also the US is considered to have "pervasive internet censorship" according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_and_surveillance_by_country (too lazy to list sources, you can go find them on there)

It doesn't, that's an exaggerated interpretation of what's been said. 

The problem is (for America) putting our security(IP Allocation) in control of a group who can change anything with a majority vote creates the potential threat for our governments information.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The problem is (for America) putting our security(IP Allocation) in control of a group who can change anything with a majority vote creates the potential threat for our governments information.

But how is this any better for other countries?

14 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

US based companies are subject to US laws, if the government takes down a company it also grabs anything that company owns, but this also happens in all of those green european countries as well, sweden with the piratebay for example, if the US falls under that category they all should

EU

https://torrentfreak.com/eu-proposes-mandatory-piracy-filters-for-online-services-160914/

Mexico

https://torrentfreak.com/mexican-police-target-popular-kickasstorrents-clone-seize-domain-160923/

The US has seized domains registered to companies outside of its jurisdiction.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/03/us-judge-orders-seizure-of-foreign-domains-owned-by-chinese-company/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120309/04064518045/us-government-admits-it-has-seized-hundreds-domains-registered-outside-us.shtml

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because there's no doubt that America holds sensitive information on both their allies and their enemies.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm sorry about the situation in your planet. Feel fee to visit the Earth any time you like.

Sorry if I'm too rude or I break a forum rule, but tinfoil-hat-retarded is what it is.

Tin foil hat retarded is not an argument.

43 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

I don't know who that said, but that person should look up the charts of "freedom of press" and "freedom of speech" the US does it actually not so good in those regards.

They may not always be implementing it according to the constitution, but free speech is in there and Americans generally accept it as a universal thing and readily push back against government censorship.

40 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Which planet do you live on? Because it sure as hell isn't Earth.

Another non-argument. 

Canada lists free speech in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but it also adds a clause that lets the government pass laws limiting free speech whenever it deems it to be "reasonable".  There are plenty of examples of writers, comedians, political dissenters, etc being fined and jailed for saying the wrong thing.  Free speech is similarly limited in other western countries.  Western democracies only allow it so far as it is not disruptive.  What planet are you living on that you don't see this pattern?

here is a very recent example in the EU of mass internet censorship:

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/8189/social-media-censorship

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

First one wasn't possible to enforce even by the article's own account

It's not clear how he hopes to enforce that ruling: even if domain registrars in Japan and Germany are willing to implement the order, 

Second one's flawed logic was pointed out in the first comment, it's a .com address so it's controlled by verisign a US company

11 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

The USA, which is the ONLY country on earth with actual free speech protections

Stopped reading right there, get your narcissistic elitist bullshit out of here, gives you no credibility whatsoever.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just now, PocketNerd said:

Stopped reading right there, get your narcissistic elitist bullshit out of here, gives you no credibility whatsoever.

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm not even from the US.  Time to wake up man.  In the west, free speech is only protected when the government is OK with what you are saying.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm not even from the US.  Time to wake up man.  In the west, free speech is only protected when the government is OK with what you are saying.

Doesn't matter if you're from the US or not, you clearly have a "US is teh greatest elite" bias going on. They're no better than any other western nation.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Doesn't matter if you're from the US or not, you clearly have a "US is teh greatest elite" bias going on. They're no better than any other western nation.

Seriously?  So you think that I am an elitist because I like that the US has very strong free speech protections?  I think you might have something stuck up your rear end, you should go see a doctor.

Free speech is being eroded and you want to talk about American elitism with a Canadian?  Wow...

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Seriously?  So you think that I am an elitist because I like that the US has very strong free speech protections?  I think you might have something stuck up your rear end, you should go see a doctor.

Free speech is being eroded and you want to talk about American elitism with a Canadian?  Wow...

Don't mind me then... (guess what, I'm Canadian too, cause apparently nationality is tantamount to your opinion of me)

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

Don't mind me then...

Now that is seriously F'd up!  Bunch of meat-head cops on a power trip.  Unbelievable.  I like Adam Kokesh though, he's great.

PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

Now that is seriously F'd up!  Bunch of meat-head cops on a power trip.  Unbelievable.  I like Adam Kokesh though, he's great.

So, yeah, don't you dare go spouting off how the US has "superior" protections for free speech.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Consider yourself lucky.

Dude. C'mon thats terrible to say that.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

So, yeah, don't you dare go spouting off how the US has "superior" protections for free speech.

Sorry, but they do.  And one video about police brutality doesn't prove otherwise.  Even now, the US federal government being the authoritarian behemoth that it is, the people are still more free to express unpopular or politically incorrect ideas compared to everywhere else (I mean, OK I admit I don't know the details of every country on earth, so maybe there are a few very small countries that do a better job).  For sure the US has better legal protections than Canada, France, UK, and the whole of the EU.  Nevermind China, Russia, and all of the middle-eastern nations.

And please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying Canada is censoring like crazy - they're not.  It's actually not bad in terms of free speech. But we do regularly fine and/or jail people for saying something offensive.

PC Build

Desk Build

2 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

Dude. C'mon thats terrible to say that.

Lol, I know.  It was meant to be humorous.  

I was spoiled by getting to grow up in America when BS was far less prevalent.

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Lol, I know.  It was meant to be humorous.  

I was spoiled by getting to grow up in America when BS was far less prevalent.

Consider yourself lucky.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

24 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Let's not take this video out of context, this was a topic in my communications class my freshmen year in college.

They weren't arrested for dancing or kissing, they were arrested for demonstrating at the memorial without a permit which they continually did to protest the arrests of people who organized a flash mob in the memorial.  Of course the video has it's own agenda and won't show you the whole story, it just shows the part where they're finally being arrested.

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Look up the definition of sensationalism.  You can't find a better example than the title of that video you linked.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

4 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Consider yourself lucky.

I heard that, and I wholeheartedly agree. I live in the USA and the state things are in truly disturbs me......if I could I would move to Canada and start over 

1 minute ago, r00tH4cK3r said:

I heard that, and I wholeheartedly agree. I live in the USA and the state things are in truly disturbs me......if I could I would move to Canada and start over 

I know I take for granted how good I actually have it, but being constantly bombarded by all the shit in the media forces me to have a headache.  I've gone in and out with my involvement, I stay away from it until I'm pushed to the edge(when you read or see something so absurdly wrong, you can't stay quiet).

It's to the point where I'm considering losing friends over it because they just won't stop pushing liberal ideals over social media.  I'm not even conservative either.