Budget Ultrawide Monitors

TenzoNakami

Hi guys, I'm currently looking out for an ultrawide monitor (since I use After Effects a lot, that'd help).

My current decision is LG's 25UM58-P, it's a 1080p 60Hz IPS monitor. The website states it's price at 200USD, it's rated at 195USD here.

So yeah, I'm willing to spend somewhere from 0USD to 250USD for a better ultrawide monitor, if there is any.

Why not go with dual-screen setup? I already have a DELL U2515H, which is a standard 16:9 monitor and therefore to make it dual-screen setup it cost like.. emptying my wallet. o.O

The DELL's U2515H is rated at 360USD right now, so I can buy 2 of these LG ultrawide monitor for 1 U2515H.

Since the LG is so cheap compared to my DELL are there going to be lots of differences (like in term of color space, stuff like that etc etc)?

And again, back to the topic, I'm looking for better ultrawide monitor compared to the LG which is still in the range of 0USD - 250USD or is the LG is superior at that price range? :/

Thanks in advance,

Tenzo

EDIT: Color is something for me, since I use AE a lot. IPS panel or OLED looks like a must, since my eyes hurt so bad after using TFT panel for more than a hour. Resolution.. I don't really care, but bigger is better, I think?

EDIT again: If anyone needs my PC specs.. Here we go:

i7 6700K, Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3, 32GB RAM from Avexir, a GTX1070 from Zotac and a few PCI and PCI-e cards.. If storage matters, I use a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and 3x2TB of WD RED.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

3 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

Hi guys, I'm currently looking out for an ultrawide monitor (since I use After Effects a lot, that'd help).

My current decision is LG's 25UM58-P, it's a 1080p 60Hz IPS monitor. The website states it's price at 200USD, it's rated at 195USD here.

So yeah, I'm willing to spend somewhere from 0USD to 250USD for a better ultrawide monitor, if there is any.

Why not go with dual-screen setup? I already have a DELL U2515H, which is a standard 16:9 monitor and therefore to make it dual-screen setup it cost like.. emptying my wallet. o.O

The DELL's U2515H is rated at 360USD right now, so I can buy 2 of these LG ultrawide monitor for 1 U2515H.

Since the LG is so cheap compared to my DELL are there going to be lots of differences (like in term of color space, stuff like that etc etc)?

And again, back to the topic, I'm looking for better ultrawide monitor compared to the LG which is still in the range of 0USD - 250USD or is the LG is superior at that price range? :/

Thanks in advance,

Tenzo

EDIT: Color is something for me, since I use AE a lot. IPS panel looks like a must, since my eyes hurt so bad after using TFT panel for more than a hour. Resolution.. I don't really care, but bigger is better, I think?

EDIT again: If anyone needs my PC specs.. Here we go:

i7 6700K, Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3, 32GB RAM from Avexir, a GTX1070 from Zotac and a few PCI and PCI-e cards.. If storage matters, I use a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and 3x2TB of WD RED.

25" ultrawides are equivalent in height to a 21.5" 16:9 monitor. They are tiny, and not in the same class as something like the U2515H at all. 

13 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

25" ultrawides are equivalent in height to a 21.5" 16:9 monitor. They are tiny, and not in the same class as something like the U2515H at all. 

Hi, and thanks for answering.

After I purchased an ultrawide monitor, I'm planning to turn the U2515H to portrait (vertical monitor).

It won't be compared landscape to landscape, so I'm pretty sure it's okay.

As per its resolution.. The U2515H is running at 1440p, quite sure the LG only runs at 1080p.

EDIT: One thing that bothers me. I'm sure "IPS" is a LCD only related stuff. But on LG's website it says "IPS LED".

Does this monitor use LED or LCD?

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

Look at the 29 Inch ultrawide from LG. Here is one of the models. 29UM58. You can find that one at bestbuy.com for $249. I have two 29 Inch ultrawides. Love ultrawide but two of them can be a lot. Prepare to turn your head.

EDIT: I've seen LG's 29 in Ultradwide sometimes goes on sale for $199.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

12 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

Hi, and thanks for answering.

After I purchased an ultrawide monitor, I'm planning to turn the U2515H to portrait (vertical monitor).

It won't be compared landscape to landscape, so I'm pretty sure it's okay.

As per its resolution.. The U2515H is running at 1440p, quite sure the LG only runs at 1080p.

EDIT: One thing that bothers me. I'm sure "IPS" is a LCD only related stuff. But on LG's website it says "IPS LED".

Does this monitor use LED or LCD?

LCD monitors have two components, an LCD panel which provides an image, and a light source which illuminates the image. The panel can be TN, VA, or IPS, and the light source can be CCFL, LED, or Quantum Dot. Every LCD monitor will have one type of each of those two components.

I'd still recommend trying a 25" ultrawide in person if possible, so you can get an idea of the size.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6kL7YJ/lg-monitor-29ub55b

29UB55-B is a good choice, in your budget, IPS panel, and 60 hz. Personally I have the 34UM58-P, same resolution but 34" is lovely for ultra wides for me personally (I was coming from a 27" 1080p monitor so my understanding of Pixel Density is a lot less critical than some other people's, 27" 1080p looked nice to me). 29 inches seems like a good bet to fit with your current monitor setup, it check it out.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

3 minutes ago, xboxonthego3 said:

Look at the 29 Inch ultrawide from LG. Here is one of the models. 29UM58. You can find that one at bestbuy.com for $249. I have two 29 Inch ultrawides. Love ultrawide but two of them can be a lot. Prepare to turn your head.

EDIT: I've seen LG's 29 in Ultradwide sometimes goes on sale for $199.

OMG :o

That monitor cost like 400USD right here.

I live outside of the US and quite unsure if bestbuy can ship overseas.

Spoiler

Just now, TenzoNakami said:

OMG :o

That monitor cost like 400USD right here.

I live outside of the US and quite unsure if bestbuy can ship overseas.

Sad face. Yeah I wasn't sure how much that would cost overseas. That's a bummer..

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

LCD monitors have two components, an LCD panel which provides an image, and a light source which illuminates the image. The panel can be TN, VA, or IPS, and the light source can be CCFL, LED, or Quantum Dot. Every LCD monitor will have one type of each of those two components.

I'd still recommend trying a 25" ultrawide in person if possible, so you can get an idea of the size.

Wow. Never been into this thing so deep, really. O.o

That make sense a lot.

Okay, the next time they make another showcase or conference or fair or expo I'll be sure to come and check em out.

Unfortunately, most of these stuff are sold "online" or "buy-before-see" in my country. Yeah, horrible really. Can't check out its quality and stuff before buying except from reviews and stuff. >:(

11 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6kL7YJ/lg-monitor-29ub55b

29UB55-B is a good choice, in your budget, IPS panel, and 60 hz. Personally I have the 34UM58-P, same resolution but 34" is lovely for ultra wides for me personally (I was coming from a 27" 1080p monitor so my understanding of Pixel Density is a lot less critical than some other people's, 27" 1080p looked nice to me). 29 inches seems like a good bet to fit with your current monitor setup, it check it out.

Hi, and thanks for replying. Again, I live outside of the US and I don't know if they would ship overseas (and if they ship overseas imagine the cost :$) and that specific monitor is not available at the moment right here. Here is the list of monitors they sell in my country:

http://enterkomputer.com/lcd.php

I don't know if I'm allowed to share links or not, but if I'm not allowed then I'll remove it.

PS: It is rated in IDR, use Google for conversion, like 3000000 IDR to USD and Google will convert it for you :D

EDIT: Well, is the 34UM58-P really is using IPS LED? Any complaints about it or anything that you'd like to say about it?

9 minutes ago, xboxonthego3 said:

Sad face. Yeah I wasn't sure how much that would cost overseas. That's a bummer..

Yeah, check out the link I posted. That's a full list of monitors available in my country.

Spoiler

20 hours ago, TenzoNakami said:

Hi, and thanks for replying. Again, I live outside of the US and I don't know if they would ship overseas (and if they ship overseas imagine the cost :$) and that specific monitor is not available at the moment right here. Here is the list of monitors they sell in my country:

http://enterkomputer.com/lcd.php

I don't know if I'm allowed to share links or not, but if I'm not allowed then I'll remove it.

PS: It is rated in IDR, use Google for conversion, like 3000000 IDR to USD and Google will convert it for you :D

EDIT: Well, is the 34UM58-P really is using IPS LED? Any complaints about it or anything that you'd like to say about it?

Yes, the 34UM58-P is an IPS panel (so great colors) and looks very nice. The 34 inch size may be big for people who are used to 25" or 23" 16:9 aspect monitors, but I really like the size. Personally, about your situation, I'd suggest getting anything from LG, ASUS, and maybe Acer or Samsung, the amount of specific models are endless but I'd say 29" will be the best you can get for your budget :) I saw you were considering the 25UM58-P, and I would say that the whole UM58 line is great, but 25" seems small imho and I think you would want at least 29" for a good large screen experience. 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue