Using old thermal paste?

SweetOh

Hey lads. I think i need to reapply the thermal paste onto my heatsync for my cpu. It kind of looks like a very thin coat of dry paint at the moment. I have this syringe thing that has thermal paste in it but the paste itself is very very old. The paste says it has a use by date by 2004 (yea its really old) but my question is can i still use it? Is it one of those things where it has a use by date but it doesnt degrade in its container over time? Thanks in advance

I'd say you can use it as long as its still wet and liquidy. if its dryish at all I for sure wouldn't. New thermal paste isn't that much off amazon anyway.

It's probably ok to use if it still flows out easily, definitely not if it's closer to looking like play-doh. It's a cheap enough thing to just buy new and have no worries though

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

thats some old thermal paste. it'll probably still work but i recommend getting a new one if you want the most performance 

It'll probably be fine if it looks nice and pastey and gray still, if it's separated don't use it.  If in doubt drop down to your local pc shop and buy a tube, it's only a couple of bucks.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

and i'm curious, what brand of thermal paste is it? 

Electrolube GTC10S

Just now, SweetOh said:

Electrolube GTC10S

i just googled it, and it literally returned no results lol 

Just now, Technicolors said:

ah you meant the HTC10s, not the GTC10s

Oh my bad mate

5 minutes ago, SweetOh said:

Electrolube GTC10S

That's likely a silicone compound, could get much better out of the conductive metals or ceramic even for under $10 and no worry of using 10yr+ old paste

EDIT: never mind on the silicone part, but the last part stands

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

That's likely a silicone compound, could get much better out of the conductive metals or ceramic even for under $10 and no worry of using 10yr+ old paste

Im not that much of a brain on this subject matter sorry, so it will work okay? I think its really needed becasue my cpu is running at 90-100 degrees

Just now, SweetOh said:

Im not that much of a brain on this subject matter sorry, so it will work okay? I think its really needed becasue my cpu is running at 90-100 degrees

What cpu? If you've taken the heatsink off without replacing the thermal compound, those numbers happen

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

What cpu? If you've taken the heatsink off without replacing the thermal compound, those numbers happen

Its an old cpu i3-4130

Just now, SweetOh said:

Its an old cpu i3-4130

54W TDP will probably do ok with that paste if it's not gone bad. If the paste is still good, and you've taken the heatsink off without cleaning and reapplying paste, it would definitely help.

I would say its probably fine (there is nothing in there that should break down or decompose so long as its not exposed to air where it could dry or evaporate). I would also say thermal paste is like 5-10 bucks, just go get some new stuff?