Why is everybody using such big air cpu coolers?

Melodist

33 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not really, they could use smaller fans as many coolers do (92mm, 80mm, 60mm as many stock coolers, etc).

I said that here... (below) he was mostly asking about big cpu coolers though anyways and most big coolers use 120mm or 140mm.

Stock and SFF options are usually smaller and usually horizontal, but those don't fall under the category of the "why is everyone using such big cpu air coolers" thread title.

18 hours ago, DunePilot said:

There are smaller options though, especially for ITX cases usually with the fans smaller and horizontal and rated for less TDP.

Alright, so I've tried the NS-12 on my 6900k and I gotta say that the temperature is a tad high for my taste, especially according to the socket, which is without OC (stock self OC to 3.7 GHz) at 84 degrees. I think if I deactivated Max Turbo Frequency would be a lot less, maybe 70 at max? Anyways, for what it is right now, the 6900k, I think I'd benefit from a corsair h115 a lot or go with the biggest Noctua available, but that would only give me another headstart of 5 degrees room to where I am right now. Probably, for the 8 core, that turbo boost to 3.7 is not doable with turbo boost 3.0.

i use both an nhu12s as well as a nhd15s

I also can run an OCed (not full load) i7 passively with the nhd15 for most the time. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

4 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

i use both an nhu12s as well as a nhd15s

I also can run an OCed (not full load) i7 passively with the nhd15 for most the time. 

This is what I'm getting with my 6900k at stock clock, turbo-boost deactivated and prime 95 during the first test after 2 hours:

prime2.jpg

Are these temperatures good or would I benefit from the d15s? I mean, just getting 5 degrees better temps wouldn't make it worth the swap in my case. I also have a Corsair 115i lying around, with which I still don't know how to proceed, for whether I'd either install or send it back.

10 minutes ago, Melodist said:

This is what I'm getting with my 6900k at stock clock, turbo-boost deactivated and prime 95 during the first test after 2 hours:

Are these temperatures good or would I benefit from the d15s? I mean, just getting 5 degrees better temps wouldn't make it worth the swap in my case. I also have a Corsair 115i lying around, with which I still don't know how to proceed, for whether I'd either install or send it back.

Yes, those temps are good--not sure why you turned off turbo boost though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Im going to use cryorig h7 on my new build , is that big ? its one of the cheapest i could find for 2011. Didnt want to buy hyper 212 its overused and ugly.

11 minutes ago, xgn said:

Im going to use cryorig h7 on my new build , is that big ? its one of the cheapest i could find for 2011. Didnt want to buy hyper 212 its overused and ugly.

You could look at the measurements listed on the manufacturer website. Whether it's big or not depends on who you're asking.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

35 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, those temps are good--not sure why you turned off turbo boost though.

Will they serve me well in terms of long durability for at least 5 years?

Deactivated because I was getting 80 degrees on the socket (package).

By the way, prime 95 says unknown intel cpu and unable to detect some of the hyperthreaded logical cpus.

1 minute ago, Melodist said:

Will they serve me well in terms of long durability for at least 5 years?

By the way, prime 95 says unknown intel cpu and unable to detect some of the hyperthreaded logical cpus.

If you keep temps below ~85c at load and don't push high voltages, your cpu should easily last at least 10-20 years.

That sounds like an issue with Prime95. Have you tried reinstalling it?

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you keep temps below ~85c at load and don't push high voltages, your cpu should easily last at least 10-20 years.

That sounds like an issue with Prime95. Have you tried reinstalling it?

Well, I've downloaded a self-contained executable, there was no installation, just launching the .exe and yeah I've redownloaded the current version with no change. Does it mean it might not have been properly stressed? Don't think so right?

No, I just want to run it at stock speeds, or do you think I would benefit from the d15s? Don't think so either at stock right? Other than maybe 5 degrees less in stock? Funny enough, in stock, it only draws 100 watts, which is actually not that bad, temps could be better for such a power draw though? During turbo-mode, it hits 155 watts.

2 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Well, I've downloaded a self-contained executable, there was no installation, just launching the .exe and yeah I've redownloaded the current version with no change. Does it mean it might not have been properly stressed? Don't think so right?

No, I just want to run it at stock speeds, or do you think I would benefit from the d15s? Don't think so either at stock right? Other than maybe 5 degrees less in stock? Funny enough, in stock, it only draws 100 watts, which is actually not that bad, temps could be better for such a power draw though? During turbo-mode, it hits 155 watts.

I personally use OCCT. I wouldn't worry about Prime95 not recognizing the cpu unless you bought it from someplace sketchy. 

Turbo boost comes stock with the cpu and there's little reason to turn it off unless the power draw is an issue. 

Your temps are already low and getting them lower won't do anything for you.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I personally use OCCT. I wouldn't worry about Prime95 not recognizing the cpu unless you bought it from someplace sketchy. 

Turbo boost comes stock with the cpu and there's little reason to turn it off unless the power draw is an issue. 

Uhm I bought it from a guy on ebay but it appears to be all fine, it just had some thermal paste on the pins I cleaned with 99.9% isopropanol. What do you mean by sketchy?

3 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Uhm I bought it from a guy on ebay but it appears to be all fine, it just had some thermal paste on the pins I cleaned with 99.9% isopropanol. What do you mean by sketchy?

By sketchy, I meant a seller that isn't trustworthy or reliable. 

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

By sketchy, I meant a seller that isn't trustworthy or reliable. 

Yeah but you mean in terms of broken cpu? I mean, it runs fine in prime 95  with no errors after 4 hours. He sold others before as well.

9 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Yeah but you mean in terms of broken cpu? I mean, it runs fine in prime 95  with no errors after 4 hours. He sold others before as well.

I got the PM. Like I said, don't worry about it unless you think you bought your cpu from someplace sketchy. 

If the seller has been reputable and your cpu is working fine, don't fret. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I got the PM. Like I said, don't worry about it unless you think you bought your cpu from someplace sketchy. 

Well except I have no idea what good temps are nowadays, that's why I've aksed. Last time I put pcs together was in 2007. I remember a little bit before my Q6600, which was the last cpu I put in a windows system, I had owned an AMD 64 FX processor, that thing constantly shut down due to critical temps, even though I had zalman on, and no OC :D Good times.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

So picking up the d15s wouldn't make too much sense would it? I'd probably not gain much better temps, unless I went with an AiO? But you're saying the temps are good?

4 hours ago, Melodist said:

So picking up the d15s wouldn't make too much sense would it? I'd probably not gain much better temps, unless I went with an AiO? But you're saying the temps are good?

Repeating what I posted above:

On 5 Oct 2016 at 6:43 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Repeating what I posted above:

Oh btw, with the noctua coolers, I probably don't have to worry about tightening it up too strong because it is protected by the springs? So I can't pull it too tight?

2 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Oh btw, with the noctua coolers, I probably don't have to worry about tightening it up too strong because it is protected by the springs? So I can't pull it too tight?

You should be fine. I've turned them extremely tightly in the past without any issues. 

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You should be fine. I've turned them extremely tightly in the past without any issues. 

Oh that's good, because usually, after I've reached the end point, I usually insert the screwdriver once more to see if it can be tightened a little bit more. So that's fine?

Oh, I had it running once more in prime 95 under the first test for 5 hours with the following results:

aida642.jpg

Just now, Melodist said:

Oh that's good, because usually, after I've reached the end point, I usually insert the screwdriver once more to see if it can be tightened a little bit more. So that's fine?

Oh, I had it running once more in prime 95 under the first test for 5 hours with the following results:

I do the same thing. 

The temps look good. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I do the same thing. 

The temps look good. 

Thanks man, wouldn't know what I'd do without you and this forum for my re-entry after a mac related hiatus.

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I do the same thing. 

The temps look good. 

BTW, I got quiet a better single core performance, when I had the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology unchecked, and my ram set to its xmp profile (3200 32GB CL14 GSkill TridZ Kit of 4). Would it overheat my hardware? Funny enough, after disabling the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, the multiplier was set so that with the xmp profile, i had stock speed cpu wise, without xmp it would've been 2300 MHz, something like that. Wouldn't it be preferable? Since the ram is rated for it anyways? I'm getting around 500 more points in geekbench single core score.

17 minutes ago, Melodist said:

BTW, I got quiet a better single core performance, when I had the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology unchecked, and my ram set to its xmp profile (3200 32GB CL14 GSkill TridZ Kit of 4). Would it overheat my hardware? Funny enough, after disabling the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, the multiplier was set so that with the xmp profile, i had stock speed cpu wise, without xmp it would've been 2300 MHz, something like that. Wouldn't it be preferable? Since the ram is rated for it anyways? I'm getting around 500 more points in geekbench single core score.

You can check your temps to see if they're too hot. Feel free to do whatever results in better performance.