i7-6700k with hyper 212 EVO temps

What temps can I expect to get with the i7-6700k (no overclock) with a hyper 212 EVO? Is it worth getting the corsair h100i v2 to allow Overclocking in the future?

thanks

You can oc on a 212 Evo. 

Depending on the fan speed, 60-70c at load is normal.

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

no OC and depending on the ambient, the CPU at full tilt should be in the 40-50deg range

highly optimistic on my part

Edited by zMeul

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

What temps can I expect to get with the i7-6700k (no overclock) with a hyper 212 EVO?

Crystal_ball.gif

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Is it worth getting the corsair h100i v2 to allow Overclocking in the future?

The 212 EVO itself already allows for some small OCing, so getting the H100i would be for pushing the CPU hard. If you can afford it, I suppose it's worth the investment.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no OC and depending on the ambient, the CPU at full tilt should be in the 40-50deg range

No, that is ridiculously low. Unless the computer is in a freezing cold environment, those kind of temps shouldn't be attainable without something along the lines of a custom water loop with large rads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Depending on the fan speed, 60-70c at load is normal.

"normal" ...

max Tcase for i7-6700K is 64deg

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, that is ridiculously low. Unless the computer is in a freezing cold environment, those kind of temps shouldn't be attainable without something along the lines of a custom water loop.

I based my assumption on tests done with 23deg ambient, but yeah ... I guess it's little too optimistic considering it's a 91W TDP CPU

Just now, zMeul said:

"normal" ...

Tcase is for the ihs and isn't the same as core temps. Core temps will normally be higher. 

Just now, zMeul said:

"normal" ...

...at idle

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

...at idle

what now!?!? max Tcase doesn't mean IDLE

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

^ from Intel

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

what now!?!? max Tcase doesn't mean IDLE

^ from Intel

CPU will start to throtle at 80 to 100 degrees. Like @WoodenMarker said. You are referring to the wrong number

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Tcase is for the ihs and isn't the same as core temps. Core temps will normally be higher. 

the diff from core and Tcase is just few deg - and greatly depends on the TIM application between the die and the IHS

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I based my assumption on tests done with 23deg ambient, but yeah ... I guess it's little too optimistic

Extremely optimistic*

Here's a h110i GT keeping a stock 4790k at 56c load. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h110i_gt_review,10.html

In order to deal with diminishing returns, considerably more cooling would be needed for <50c.

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

isn't TJ max like 100 degrees before throttling? 

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

CPU will start to throtle at 80 to 100 degrees. Like @WoodenMarker said. You are referring to the wrong number

It's 105c.

3 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

isn't TJ max like 100 degrees before throttling? 

at 100deg that CPU will start to destroy itself

people have done X-rays of OCed dies and found microfractures

It's been a while since I had a 212 on a 6700k or 6600k, since I run prime95 like loads and HT makes no difference between them. From memory I think temps were in the ball park of 70C with at 4.2 GHz 1.25v which is what I found mine to be stable at. Room temps in low 20's. I've moved them onto bigger/higher end units and it makes a bit of difference, but the 212 wins on value.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

at 100deg that CPU will start to destroy itself

people have done X-rays of OCed dies and found microfractures

You can hit 100C without OC e.g. dust on heatsink, or other restricted airflow, or simply being under-designed like most laptops. Built in thermal throttling isn't just for OC.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

You can hit 100C without OC e.g. dust on heatsink, or other restricted airflow, or simply being under-designed like most laptops. Built in thermal throttling isn't just for OC.

you should not rely on thermal throttling to keep that CPU "safe"

Silicon is a metal, and like all metals it will contract and expand with the degree of temperature it's at - these repeating motions will destroy the CPU in time

it's not only the die that's directly affected by the temperature, the ISH, the microbumps between the die and the interposer

just the other day (or so), PCPer said their 2011-v3 Broadwell-E CPU doesn't OC like it used to, and those CPUs aren't even 1/2y old

you should not rely on thermal throttling to keep that CPU "safe"

Temperature alone is not the only stress factor leading to a reduction of life. Voltage also plays a part although it has been a while since I looked at it.

I'll admit I've not followed in detail all OC over the years, but I don't recall of any significant OC related life reductions since SNDS era.

Silicon is a metal, and like all metals it will contract and expand with the degree of temperature it's at - these repeating motions will destroy the CPU in time

it's not only the die that's directly affected by the temperature, the ISH, the microbumps between the die and the interposer

Silicon isn't a metal, it is a semiconductor. If it were a metal, it would be a lot less fun. Pretty much all materials change density with temperature. If thermal stress were a major problem, laptops would particularly feel the stress, yet they generally survive regardless.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Silicon isn't a metal, it is a semiconductor. If it were a metal, it would be a lot less fun. Pretty much all materials change density with temperature. If thermal stress were a major problem, laptops would particularly feel the stress, yet they generally survive regardless.

to be technical,

Silicon is a metalloid - it has properties from metals and non metals, that's why they're called semi-metals or semiconductors

chembook_periodic_graphik_51.png

to be technical,

Silicon is a metalloid - it has properties from metals and non metals:

Still not a metal.

24 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, that is ridiculously low. Unless the computer is in a freezing cold environment, those kind of temps shouldn't be attainable without something along the lines of a custom water loop with large rads.

Totally agree with you. I got my 4790k with a Hyper 212 Evo and in a gaming load at 22C ambient loads at 60-70C. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

How much you want to OC? If you are going for highest possible clocks, or just want to boast with beefy cooler, H100i will be better choice. I'm air cooler guy myself, so I would pick dual tower instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv