Roll Back from Windows 10 Anniversary Update

DingdongTP

Today I've received the WIndows 10 Anniversary Update notification on my laptop, I've installed it only to be greeted with a black screen every time I logged into my user profile.

I looked up some guides that mentioned it could be due to the graphics card driver, so I booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled the driver, I was the prompted to reboot, which I did.

Then when I logged into my user again, but the whole OS was VERY slow, and I could not even launch task manager or the Start Menu to reboot the computer, so I had to turn it off on the Power Button.

The worst part happened after, when I launched my user, the screen was all black again only with the mouse cursor appearing, so I restarted the computer yet again to launch safe mode to rollback to before the anniversary update, but now even the screen after the "Shift+Restart" is all black and without the mouse cursor, so I can't access safe mode. The only thing I can do is getting to the Windows login screen, after that I can't do anything else because the screen becomes black when I login or when I try to access safe mode.

Please help!

Unfortunately, I don't see any repairs for that. I recommend reinstalling Windows 10. You probably don't need to wipe the drive though. If it does that same thing after reinstall, delete the whole partition and try again otherwise maybe your drive is toast.

5 minutes ago, Druaga1 said:

Unfortunately, I don't see any repairs for that. I recommend reinstalling Windows 10. You probably don't need to wipe the drive though. If it does that same thing after reinstall, delete the whole partition and try again otherwise maybe your drive is toast.

So to reinstall Windows I should use the media creation tool? And will it install the anniversary update or the update before that?

1 hour ago, OvrilPT said:

So to reinstall Windows I should use the media creation tool? And will it install the anniversary update or the update before that?

And does media creation tool keep my files? I know it keeps them if I download and run it from the PC I want upgraded, but through USB I don't know, the only option I see on the computer I want to run the USB is "Install Now", there is nothing about any update or keeping my data, and I really don't want to lose all my data.

21 hours ago, OvrilPT said:

And does media creation tool keep my files? I know it keeps them if I download and run it from the PC I want upgraded, but through USB I don't know, the only option I see on the computer I want to run the USB is "Install Now", there is nothing about any update or keeping my data, and I really don't want to lose all my data.

When you get through the install, once you click next from the drive selector, it will tell you that it will put all your old files into windows.old on c:/