Unpopular Opinion Thread

I am beginning to see the unpopular opinion that it's ok for people to like different things for one reason or another simply because they like it.

My unpopular opinion (said enough to probably not be unpopular)

-OSX10 is alright, used it for years in media and broadcast. Still prefer windows

-TBH I like flashy modded systems with cool effects, water cooling, windows etc, I like them the same way I like show cars, as in not something I wish to own. The mat black quiet box under my desk full of sound proofing is king.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

People use cars do run over other people and to get away from police so why not make them all go 30 mph tops? Let's make them with wooden wheels as well. 

Cars should only be used to drive from point A to B, so why make hypercars with 1000+ hp? 

One bad case doesn't really prove anything. People should have choices for their needs. 

I feel like your missing my point. I don't want to take away your ability to do those things you can do with a smart phone. I just think phones shouldn't be so convenient and all encompassing in our daily lives. If your phone just made calls and received them you might look up once and a while. Do you really need so much connection and disconnection all at the same time? Would it be so bad if you had to wait 5 more minutes to break out a tablet or laptop? I remember when people looked around having to make contact with people around you. Interacting with people you bump into places you go. Now everyone is eyes down not paying any attention to what is happening around them. I would have missed so many interesting and life altering experiences if I were tethered to a phone my whole life. I'm glad I never got so attached. In truth I guess I'm kinda a hypocrite on this one though because I do have one although I don't use it very much.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

3 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

-snip-

Don't get me wrong, I posted on this thread that we all should have one day break from tech every week, and that we are too addicted. :P 

I'm just for people having all options that they can. I try to live w/o tech as much as I can. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Don't get me wrong, I posted on this thread that we all should have one day break from tech every week, and that we are too addicted. :P 

I'm just for people having all options that they can. I try to live w/o tech as much as I can. 

I saw that. On all of this we agree.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

I miss this. I haven't bantered on a forum in a long time.

I think b roll on PC parts and computers is stupid.

Open Office is better than MS Word. (I don't know if this unpopular or untrue, but yeah.)

34 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

I saw that. On all of this we agree.

1-U36hBj8i-C7JJJxS4MP2HQ.jpeg

I say this ironically, but still...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Tthis is true. But now it's all the time.  39153_01_smartphone_use_in_the_restauran

3 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

Tthis is true. But now it's all the time.  39153_01_smartphone_use_in_the_restauran

It doesn't need to be haha.

I'm an older millennial and the group of people we hang out with shuns using phones for anything other than emergencies during meals lol. (And I won't do it now, but looking around the place I'm at the same pattern holds for groups)

Separately, I'm always on my phone during meals if I'm by myself, but I've had 5 hours long dinner dates where neither of us touched our devices.

Like anything use in moderation right?

It isn't like human nature itself has changed one bit.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, GamingMemeKing said:

-I preferred Star Wars 1-3 over the old ones...

Blasphemy. OFF WITH HIS HEAD! LOL

*I think sauerkraut ruins hot dogs and people's lives.

*I believe my Pug is dumber than a goldfish.

*The next summer Olympics should be held in N. Korea.

*Starbucks is the Devil.

3 minutes ago, CaptainSav916 said:

Here we are, staring at our computer screens, chatting through technology, while pointing the finger at technology for being too disconnected. lol

This is very true. O, I got one.

Movies are better then books. (At least that would be an unpopular opinion in my circles.)

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

People who have a white colour scheme for their PC want to look special and be considered mature. xD

well shit.

WP_20160729_13_20_05_Rich.jpg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, xitywampas said:

Movies are better then books. (At least that would be an unpopular opinion in my circles.)

Movies definitely are. I don't remember ever laughing at a book.

7 minutes ago, xitywampas said:

I'd say it depends on the movie. For instance eye candy movies are better in movies, but I'd say movies could never catch the essence of some books. God forbid they ever make The Name of the Wind movie. I'm sure it would be good, but it could never accomplish what book did imo. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainSav916 said:

*I believe my Pug is dumber than a goldfish.

I just laughed at that. No offense but I believe you.

2 minutes ago, CaptainSav916 said:

I was playing devil's advocate. I laugh at books all the time and I think books are way better, but everyone is different.

14 minutes ago, CaptainSav916 said:

Oh god... you need to read better books then....

Movies are far too slow for my taste and too shallow. I still enjoy them, but I read top notch fantasy at 100 pages an hour, often that which would take hours to properly express in movies.

Game of thrones is a great example, for all the hype of the TV show, it is but a shallow draft of the books and yet it spends almost 14 hours on average getting through one of them. I can read those books in 5-9 hours each and get all those details and more.

No movie has ever been as moving as a fraction of the books I've readone, nor as funny, or as well thought out.

If you want a introduction to real rationalist fiction (it is impossible to not be amused and moved by it), I'd recommend checking out Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Game of thrones is a great example, for all the hype of the TV show, it is but a shallow draft of the books and yet it spends almost 14 hours on average getting through one of them. I can read those books in 5-9 hours each and get all those details and more.

I remember I gave up after reading half of the first book. I don't remember ste last time a book was so boring to me. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I remember I gave up after reading half of the first book. I don't remember ste last time a book was so boring to me. :ph34r:

High fantasy isn't for everyone haha. Esp if you don't have the patience for world building. And GRR Martin is uhh.... notorious... for his world building.

The name of the wind (while being arguably a much more OP protagonist cliché) does a better job of really getting you vested right off the bat. Likewise one of the greatest things of LotR from a literature perspective is the book follows the perspective of "the least knowledgeable character" so the world building and thematics seem much more natural and fluid. Plus it drips with the tribology of a long lost Era. Very very well written novel.

But if someone wanted a taste of truely great epic high fantasy my personal favorite series is Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

20 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

High fantasy isn't for everyone haha. Esp if you don't have the patience for world building. And GRR Martin is uhh.... notorious... for his world building.

The name of the wind (while being arguably a much more OP protagonist cliché) does a better job of really getting you vested right off the bat. Likewise one of the greatest things of LotR from a literature perspective is the book follows the perspective of "the least knowledgeable character" so the world building and thematics seem much more natural and fluid. Plus it drips with the tribology of a long lost Era. Very very well written novel.

But if someone wanted a taste of truely great epic high fantasy my personal favorite series is Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Well I am a fan of high fantasy, and I am huge fan of Forgotten Realms, especially the Legend of Drizzt, have around 20 books just on him. Those are not the best books out there, but I love them. I wouldn't really call Martin high fantasy (I did only get to 3rd season of series, got bored after), there are few fantasy elements but it's not that high imo. Tolkien is a class of its own, and I think that Rothfuss did a masterpiece (he does have a B.S. in English). 

I suppose it's not really for everyone. ^_^

19 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Well I am a fan of high fantasy, and I am huge fan of Forgotten Realms, especially the Legend of Drizzt, have around 20 books just on him. Those are not the best books out there, but I love them. I wouldn't really call Martin high fantasy (I did only get to 3rd season of series, got bored after), there are few fantasy elements but it's not that high imo. Tolkien is a class of its own, and I think that Rothfuss did a masterpiece (he does have a B.S. in English). 

I suppose it's not really for everyone. ^_^

Martin's work is clearly from a literary perspective high fantasy (high does not denote good or greatness), and I do throughally enjoy Rothfuss, just saying it's kinda amusing the almost anime like OPness of Kvothe.

In fairness to Martin as well, his books do pick up steam once you get into the anarchy after the death of Ned Stark. But I do not class them as masterpieces personally. Better than the YA authors attempts at high fantasy for sure (from a literary perspective, ie Rowling/Paolini) but removing so much of the campiness of those types means that if you can't get moving well enough things are basically boring history books (and many readers are not interested in that on a first pass).

From your statement there, I have no doubt you would enjoy Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a masterpiece of a series.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS