Why are movies and music videos always in 24-30 fps?

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You're right, it is about playback speed and I think it can be done or we develop techniques or media projectors, players that can playback movies that have a mixture of frame rates.  In the demonstration by Douglas Trumbull he talks about mixing frame rates in the same scene.  

That would be a noticable thing, even to an inexperienced movie watcher

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Those shots are done on purpose to hide stunt doubles, cuts, etc and for "dramatic effect" the chaos of the camera adds to the chaos of the scene

you can shoot a perfectly good fight and action scene at 24fps, watch The Raid or something

Lots of movies go for the badly cut, shakey cam fight scenes in movies, because its easier than choreographing a proper fight

Yes, some of those shots are to hide stunt doubles, etc, but not all of them. In the car chase scene with the SWAT Truck (fucking awesome scene, mind you), there were plenty of shots where the truck was screaming by, and was in focus and looked great, but the background and cars around it were a stuttery mess.

You cannot say it's entirely because of the filming techniques just to hide things. I can find stuttery panning shots in almost any movie.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, some of those shots are to hide stunt doubles, etc, but not all of them. In the car chase scene with the SWAT Truck (fucking awesome scene, mind you), there were plenty of shots where the truck was screaming by, and was in focus and looked great, but the background and cars around it were a stuttery mess.

You cannot say it's entirely because of the filming techniques just to hide things. I can find stuttery panning shots in almost any movie.

sure but what I mean is "shaky footage" is also a stylistic approach many times

But yes panning and fast action can be stuttery at 24fps, but there are ways to make it smooth too, like knowing what speed to pan, too slow or too fast and it can look bad, same as at 60fps too

im not sure going to 48 or 60 will instantly make movies just look better and run smoother

EDIT - I am not trying to say that we should stick with 24,  im just saying there is a specific look associated with the frame rate that movie directors desire that is potentially not possible at HFR

We need more studios to experiment 

In theory smooth motion and sharper images too, but it will cost to upgrade every cinema, tv, blu ray player, and camera on the market 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

29 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

That would be a noticable thing, even to an inexperienced movie watcher

It depends on how it is implemented.  As I said before, Video Game Highschool by Rocket Jump used a mixture of different frame rates for different scenes.  While the players on YouTube and Netflix couldn't play back that mixed frame rate, the media player on Rocket Jump's website could.  They played the scenes when the actors were in their reality at a regular frame rate while the scenes where the actors were supposed to represent characters in games they were playing were played back with a HFR.  It's just like Mad Max Fury Road where action scenes were filmed with a very fast shutter speed to make it look more jittery.

Yes people will notice it, but if done properly it can become part of the story telling process of the movie.

Douglas Trumbull talked about masking out parts of a scene.  In the video I posted, he used the example of martial artists performing their actions.  He talks about keeping the main body of the martial artist at 24fps while the motion of the hands and feet can use the 60fps version.

I don't think it's necessary for the entire movie to be played back on any screen at 60fps, but there are some scenes which will benefit from HFR vs the regular 24fps cinematic style.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

sure but what I mean is "shaky footage" is also a stylistic approach many times

But yes panning and fast action can be stuttery at 24fps, but there are ways to make it smooth too, like knowing what speed to pan, too slow or too fast and it can look bad, same as at 60fps too

im not sure going to 48 or 60 will instantly make movies just look better and run smoother

EDIT - I am not trying to say that we should stick with 24,  im just saying there is a specific look associated with the frame rate that movie directors desire that is potentially not possible at HFR

We need more studios to experiment 

I agree with the last point. Sticking with 24fps simply because that's what we've always done is no way to progress. We need more than just one movie trilogy (which were all filmed back to back, so there was very little advancement between films) to see how this technology will pan out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

SNIP

VGHS is such a specific exception

in a normal movie, some people are talking in a cafe and a fight breaks out, you cant just BOOM HFR, it would be jarring and weird

Im not sure about that being a thing, but again the more we experiment the more we can find out