Freenas gui not working

George114

ok so I decided to try another build! Using the kids components that had been waiting for me to put together and hey presto!!

so what's the deal here then??

why does it load and operate as normal on this build and not the other?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wouldn't use Edge, it's untested. Chrome is the most supported browser.

I would clear cookies and cache from your other machine if you have not done so. Also if you quote and reply to us makes it easier for me to see you have replied.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

25 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

replied.

25 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

I wouldn't use Edge, it's untested. Chrome is the most supported browser.

I would clear cookies and cache from your other machine if you have not done so. Also if you quote and reply to us makes it easier for me to see you have replied.

Both machines have no os and how do I clear the motherboard to start again with a fresh board when I have no os?

Just now, George114 said:

Both machines have no os and how do I clear the motherboard to start again with a fresh board when I have no os?

Not sure where you are going with this, I didn't mention motherboards.

It is now obvious at this moment in time that you have narrowed the issue down to a fault on the first machine you tried with. The second machine you have tried with works. This proves it is not FreeNAS. Therefor, you should go ahead and turn your attention to fault finding on the first client machine (not FreeNAS).

I would try clearing the browser cache and cookies first from the machine that has trouble accessing the gui.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

14 minutes ago, George114 said:

Exactly what hardware is different between the two boards? CPU/Memory/Motherboard? I would start with memory if that was one of the differences.

24 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Exactly what hardware is different between the two boards? CPU/Memory/Motherboard? I would start with memory if that was one of the differences.

Yeah literally those 3 how do I check everything? Each and every memory stick shows up in the bios so does cpu? Everything seems to be there and accounted for?

Am I going to need to install Windows on any of them to check this?

46 minutes ago, George114 said:

Yeah literally those 3 how do I check everything? Each and every memory stick shows up in the bios so does cpu? Everything seems to be there and accounted for?

Am I going to need to install Windows on any of them to check this?

I don't know what you've done exactly, but start with your original configuration + FreeNAS already installed (even in the "broken" state).

Now, remove all memory but 1 stick. Boot it up and try to see if it works. If not, then take that 1 stick out and put it in to a new pile and move to your next stick of memory. If the issue persists even on the last stick, then take all sticks out and put them aside, and use the memory from the "donor" system. If that still does not work, then you've at least eliminated the memory. That's the easiest thing to try.

What's left is CPU/Motherboard, and of the two it's likely the motherboard. Google "FreeNAS Motherboard problem" and see if anyone else has issues, which I'd be very surprised. Of course replace "motherboard" with your model number.

While you might not have any custom settings, maybe try resetting your BIOS to defaults. Go into whatever NIC settings you can find in BIOS and disable any fancy features (security / power saving) if possible.

question: What kinds of plug-in/add-ons are you running on the computer that doesn't work? it's almost as if your web browsers are not allowing certain elements to load due to some sort of browser protection add-on like ad-blockers, script nixers, or other tracking blockers.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

11 hours ago, Mikensan said:

I don't know what you've done exactly, but start with your original configuration + FreeNAS already installed (even in the "broken" state).

Now, remove all memory but 1 stick. Boot it up and try to see if it works. If not, then take that 1 stick out and put it in to a new pile and move to your next stick of memory. If the issue persists even on the last stick, then take all sticks out and put them aside, and use the memory from the "donor" system. If that still does not work, then you've at least eliminated the memory. That's the easiest thing to try.

What's left is CPU/Motherboard, and of the two it's likely the motherboard. Google "FreeNAS Motherboard problem" and see if anyone else has issues, which I'd be very surprised. Of course replace "motherboard" with your model number.

While you might not have any custom settings, maybe try resetting your BIOS to defaults. Go into whatever NIC settings you can find in BIOS and disable any fancy features (security / power saving) if possible.

Hi there ok so bit of an update I've managed to try each memory stick and even get it to load with all 4

And with the front usb 3.0 and the front usb 2.0 plugged in I had it loaded! On multiple browsers!!! 

I swear! Lol

Then came the hdd's

Now at some point before I started posting asking for help I did manage to get on the gui with the 1st build inbetween the issues I'm having and kinda started to try and create a Windows share so now some of my hdd's may not be blank 

Now I have managed to get the gui with 3 of my 4 hdd's installed individually 

With the 4th I get the picture below where it can't mount root? It hangs there like that so I assumed I had started to do something to that disk

I currently have only 2 sticks of 8gb ram

no front usb 3.0 and no front 2.0 

a network card (which gives me a 3rd IP address) and 3 of the 4 hdd's and I can get the gui on edge only

ive started to make yet another share on the 3 drives 

now the main aim of all this was to get a faster nas drive then my work one? (2hdd's mirrored that averages its highest  transfer speeds of around 60mbps

What's the best way to configure 4 hdd's so that I get fast transfer speeds with some redundancy?

And buddy I wish there was a way you could sort it all out for me!!

You could even show me what a vpn is!!

7 hours ago, knightslugger said:

question: What kinds of plug-in/add-ons are you running on the computer that doesn't work? it's almost as if your web browsers are not allowing certain elements to load due to some sort of browser protection add-on like ad-blockers, script nixers, or other tracking blockers.

Hi knightslugger 

i really don't know! Whatever the browsers them selves chose maybe avg has them on browsers that could be causing conflicts! Im really no it techie I just like to have things work then leave them alone!

image.jpeg

Is this by chance the same disk you installed FreeNAS on when I suggested to?

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

Is this by chance the same disk you installed FreeNAS on when I suggested to?

No I still haven't tried an actual hdd yet! My motherboard only has 4 sata ports and as I wanted 4 disks I kind of resisted using one of the ports!

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

So as of right now, using your original hardware FreeNAS is loading?

Lol 

no! I can't get any hdd to load when I'm allowed in the gui I've tried installing freenas on all physical hdd's to eliminate any nas stuff so I could get passed this stage belowimage.jpeg

I dont understand exactly, could you rephrase? I read this and to me it says you install FreeNAS, can log in successfully. By GUI you mean the web GUI right? So with that said, is this a brand new issue?

no! I can't get any hdd to load when I'm allowed in the gui I've tried installing freenas on all physical hdd's to eliminate any nas stuff so I could get passed this stage 

4 hours ago, Mikensan said:

So as of right now, using your original hardware FreeNAS is loading?

Lol 

no! I can't get any hdd to load when I'm allowed in the gui

I've tried installing freenas on all physical hdd's to eliminate any nas stuff so I could get passed this stage below

unplug all hdd's and gui is fully operational plug them in and it stops working?? 

any ideas??

image.jpeg

oh, then plug every hard drive in, go to bios and make sure it's set to only boot to your USB drive

5 hours ago, Mikensan said:

oh, then plug every hard drive in, go to bios and make sure it's set to only boot to your USB drive

Ok thanks 

right so tried that and still got the same problem it won't load past the mount Root stage!

Does anyone know how I could make my hdd's like new again without a version of windows ?

@George114

Easiest way may be to use a ubuntu live CD, otherwise from the command-line it's a few extra steps..

From CLI you have to figure what ID each disk is

type:

camcontrol devlist

You should see something like da0/da1/da2 at the very end for each disk 

then once you've identified your disks, type

gpart destroy -F da0

for each disk. this should essentially blank them out