Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Est_Rain

PSU Firewors - Is it my fault?

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I will look for a Seasonic PSU, since that seems to be the most popular vote here. Thank you all for your support!

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My PSU just displayed magic sparks and died. Its a little older than 2 years old setup, about a year ago I upgraded the last component, the gpu from 270 to a 290. 

Was it wrong of me to think that the Cooler Master g650m could handle my components or is it something else? Inside there is a  AMD Combo 8350 + MSI 290 Gaming, none of it was overclocked at the time.

Visualy it looks fine now, too afraid to plug it back in. But it was loud, I could even hear it with my headphones on and it was like a firework, room is filled with smoke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

650 is more than enough to handle that unless you where doing some record breaking overclocks. its probably just age and dried out caps. electrolyte came squirting out the vent on the caps and shorted something. we call it magic smoke. that psu is dead as roadkill if you ask me. you can try to fix it but it would require skill and from your post i don´t think you have what it takes atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Est_Rain said:

My PSU just displayed magic sparks and died. Its a little older than 2 years old setup, about a year ago I upgraded the last component, the gpu from 270 to a 290. 

Was it wrong of me to think that the Cooler Master g650m could handle my components or is it something else? Inside there is a  AMD Combo 8350 + MSI 290 Gaming, none of it was overclocked at the time.

Visualy it looks fine now, too afraid to plug it back in. But it was loud, I could even hear it with my headphones on and it was like a firework, room is filled with smoke.

maybe you just shortened it out


CPU : i5-6600K @4.4ghz | GPU : MSI GTX 1060 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A Pro | Cooler: Kraken x41 | PSU: SSm12-520w | Keyboard :Corsair Strafe RGB /w Cherry mx Red | Mice:Steelseries rival 300 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You shouldnt plug in new components while the psu is plugged into  a wall and turned on

 


CPU : i5-6600K @4.4ghz | GPU : MSI GTX 1060 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A Pro | Cooler: Kraken x41 | PSU: SSm12-520w | Keyboard :Corsair Strafe RGB /w Cherry mx Red | Mice:Steelseries rival 300 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it sparked , dont plug it back in and you get more sparks , something shorted and its dead now , the components might be fine since the psu had an internal short it seems like 


RyzenAir : AMD R5 1600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 24gb KVR DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 3 2200G | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 12gb DDR4 2993 | Vega 8 | MS-Tech CI-58 | Pico PSU 150

 

PSU Tier list

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its hardware issue with PSU. It most likely isn't about PSU not being able to handle components. It would just not boot or do random reboots. If you still got warranty left (good PSUs have 5 years from manufacturer), RMA it. Only if you would have used wrong wall plug, or connected some cable wrong way forcefully it might void warranty. But even then there would be safety breaker inside to prevent something like that. PSUs are much better protected against danger cause by electricity than other PC components.

 


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

it sparked , dont plug it back in and you get more sparks , something shorted and its dead now , the components might be fine since the psu had an internal short it seems like 

 

8 minutes ago, tlink said:

650 is more than enough to handle that unless you where doing some record breaking overclocks. its probably just age and dried out caps. electrolyte came squirting out the vent on the caps and shorted something. we call it magic smoke. that psu is dead as roadkill if you ask me. you can try to fix it but it would require skill and from your post i don´t think you have what it takes atm.

 

I truly hope that the only thing dead is the PSU, I am not a wealthy man. So a new 650 W PSU should fix this? Not the same one ofcourse, but is the Corsair CX series good or will I face the same issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Its hardware issue with PSU. It most likely isn't about PSU not being able to handle components. It would just not boot or do random reboots. If you still got warranty left (good PSUs have 5 years from manufacturer), RMA it. Only if you would have used wrong wall plug, or connected some cable wrong way forcefully it might void warranty. But even then there would be safety breaker inside to prevent something like that. PSUs are much better protected against danger cause by electricity than other PC components.

 

Its been sitting in the same place, in the same wall plug, unchanged for about 3 months now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Est_Rain said:

 

 

I truly hope that the only thing dead is the PSU, I am not a wealthy man. So a new 650 W PSU should fix this? Not the same one ofcourse, but is the Corsair CX series good or will I face the same issue?

I'd get one from Seasonic or Antec. There should be some power supply recommendation threads on here if you search :D


Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

 

Rigs

Spoiler

 Type            Desktop

 OS              Windows 10 Pro

 CPU             i5-4430S

 RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

 Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

 Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

 GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

 Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

 

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

 

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, burnttoastnice said:

I'd get one from Seasonic or Antec. There should be some power supply recommendation threads on here if you search :D

Good ones are out of my immidiate budget, for a one that is more than 100 eur I need to wait a month

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Est_Rain said:

Good ones are out of my immidiate budget, for a one that is more than 100 eur I need to wait a month

check the "psu tier list" also buying a good one used  can help 


RyzenAir : AMD R5 1600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 24gb KVR DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 3 2200G | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 12gb DDR4 2993 | Vega 8 | MS-Tech CI-58 | Pico PSU 150

 

PSU Tier list

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Est_Rain said:

Its been sitting in the same place, in the same wall plug, unchanged for about 3 months now.

 

And no sudden surges from outside sources (lightning storms, repair works etc.)? Not your fault. PSU wouldn't react like that to component drawing more power than it can deliver.

 

Just now, burnttoastnice said:

I'd get one from Seasonic or Antec. There should be some power supply recommendation threads on here if you search :D

Antec is on my no-buy listing because of blown PSU. It was connected for 3 days. I'm still not convinced after replacement part has been working for 12 years and is still running. (Besides I hate Antecs Sonata case design)


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Antec

Antec has good PSUs but also really rubbish ones so...it depends on which specific model it is :P 

 

Seasonic on the other hand is fine, all of their PSUs are high enough quality that it won't blow up and although it may be a tad unbalanced, you could still get the cheapest SS (provided it has enough wattage) and it will be fine with a 1080 and 6700K ect.

 

2 minutes ago, Est_Rain said:

Good ones are out of my immidiate budget, for a one that is more than 100 eur I need to wait a month

Budget?


Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Est_Rain said:

Good ones are out of my immidiate budget, for a one that is more than 100 eur I need to wait a month

If you can afford another Corsair CX, get one, but while gaming on the system feel the top of the PSU from inside the case and see if it's hot.

If it's hot (or the fan is screaming), it's basically straining itself to run your system, if it's warm, you're fine.


Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

 

Rigs

Spoiler

 Type            Desktop

 OS              Windows 10 Pro

 CPU             i5-4430S

 RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

 Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

 Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

 GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

 Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

 

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

 

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Est_Rain said:

Good ones are out of my immidiate budget, for a one that is more than 100 eur I need to wait a month

Get one from tiers 1 to 4 on that list.

2 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

If you can afford another Corsair CX, get one, but while gaming on the system feel the top of the PSU from inside the case and see if it's hot.

If it's hot (or the fan is screaming), it's basically straining itself to run your system, if it's warm, you're fine.

Grey label* CX. Green label CX is terrible.


Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

 

And no sudden surges from outside sources (lightning storms, repair works etc.)? Not your fault. PSU wouldn't react like that to component drawing more power than it can deliver.

 

No, It has been quiet, no sudden changes, it was sitting idle while I was chatting on skype. 

 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Antec has good PSUs but also really rubbish ones so...it depends on which specific model it is :P 

 

Seasonic on the other hand is fine, all of their PSUs are high enough quality that it won't blow up and although it may be a tad unbalanced, you could still get the cheapest SS (provided it has enough wattage) and it will be fine with a 1080 and 6700K ect.

 

Budget?

Anything less than 100 eur is my budget

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Est_Rain said:

No, It has been quiet, no sudden changes, it was sitting idle while I was chatting on skype. 

 

Anything less than 100 eur is my budget

get seasonic m12-620w or 520w


CPU : i5-6600K @4.4ghz | GPU : MSI GTX 1060 | Mobo: Asus Z170-A Pro | Cooler: Kraken x41 | PSU: SSm12-520w | Keyboard :Corsair Strafe RGB /w Cherry mx Red | Mice:Steelseries rival 300 | 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Est_Rain said:

No, It has been quiet, no sudden changes, it was sitting idle while I was chatting on skype. 

 

Anything less than 100 eur is my budget

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/NYyFf7/xfx-power-supply-p1650gts3x

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/98tCmG/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9

 

These 4 are all solid units without breaking the bank too much (and a 500-550watt PSU is actually probably enough but you know, more power is always better...ish)


Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer
2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I will look for a Seasonic PSU, since that seems to be the most popular vote here. Thank you all for your support!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Antec is on my no-buy listing because of blown PSU. It was connected for 3 days. I'm still not convinced after replacement part has been working for 12 years and is still running. (Besides I hate Antecs Sonata case design)

3 days? Ouch. I opted for an XFX (seasonic based) PSU for my PC. Really like the single-rail design, I can basically run anything from the single 12v rail without worrying about overloading anything. Currently run my 45W monitor from the PSU with no probs :D.

 

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Grey label* CX. Green label CX is terrible.

I personally wouldn't even get a Corsair PSU, unless it's one of those high-end RM ones with Corsair Link. I've heard so many bad things about them on LTT.


Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

 

Rigs

Spoiler

 Type            Desktop

 OS              Windows 10 Pro

 CPU             i5-4430S

 RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

 Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

 Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

 GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

 Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

 

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

 

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, burnttoastnice said:

3 days? Ouch. I opted for an XFX (seasonic based) PSU for my PC. Really like the single-rail design, I can basically run anything from the single 12v rail without worrying about overloading anything. Currently run my 45W monitor from the PSU with no probs :D.

 

I personally wouldn't even get a Corsair PSU, unless it's one of those high-end RM ones with Corsair Link. I've heard so many bad things about them on LTT.

CX grey is actually very good for a budget build.


Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Est_Rain said:

I will look for a Seasonic PSU, since that seems to be the most popular vote here. Thank you all for your support!

FYI All XFX PSU (but the XT line, the XT line isn't great by the way) is Seasonic :D 


Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×