Powerline Adapters for gaming

ErikSmith

Hi everyone, a noob here.

I recently built a pc and it bothers me that I now have a good pc but a low quality access to the Internet. This is because I live in a house with thick concrete walls, and I can't be nowhere near the modem/router. Since my house is not that old I was considering buying a pair of powerline adapters to get past the concrete walls and get better internet than wifi. The contract with my ISP here in Italy gives me 20Mbps internet (real world download speed: 1 MBps), my average latency is about 50/60ms, with spikes to 500ms for like a couple of seconds every five to six minutes. Will a powerline adapter help me with tasks such as gaming? Or will it add to the latency and offer me worse connection than my wifi?

Thanks a lot!

As a general rule of thumb:

Wireless 2.4G: Medium range, highly congested, ~1ms pings with massive spikes, lower max-speed

Wireless 5G: Short range, low congestion, ~1ms pings with massive spikes, higher max-speed

Powerline: Long Range, possible electrical interference, consistent ~5ms pings, lower max-speed

Wired: Long Range, basically zero congestion/interference, constant <1ms pings, as much speed as you have

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. I'm gonna explain myself a bit better:

The room my pc will be in (parts are shipping now, mini ITX build, budget around 1k $) is actually outside my home, but shares a wall with my parents' bedroom, which is in turn pretty far from the router. Since it's a flat and we don't plan to live here forever, and we have complaining neighbors, running an ethernet cable all the way to that room, even inside walls, is unfortunately not an option. WiFi barely reaches the place, and my thought was 'Yeah, my bandwidth is already crappy, so I don't have anything to lose' so I thought that it was worth a shot. I don't have bandwidth needs as much as latency ones, so I wanted to know if it was worth a shot. I'll probably buy a pair of powerline adapters until I can get ethernet to the room I'm in, so thanks for the info guys :)