A $20,000 Server for some Twitch Streamers?? N3RDFUSION Visit

LinusTech

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 8TB

Amazon: http://geni.us/U0ld7

45Drives Storinator (customized for eATX motherboard)

http://www.45drives.com/products/

Intel Xeon E5 2697 V4

Amazon: http://geni.us/H7Hamd

Supermicro X10DRi-T Motherboard

Amazon: http://geni.us/8EAF

Supermicro Recommended DDR4 ECC

Amazon: http://geni.us/3q2ir6K

Noctua NH-D9L

Amazon: http://geni.us/SRM4

What on Earth could a bunch of Minecraft players need a massive server machine for??

Edited by Godlygamer23
Corrected dollar amount in title.

$10k, that's still less than how much my dream server would cost....alas, who has $15k to blow on a server. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

$10k, that's how much my dream server would cost....alas, who has $10k to blow on a server. 

N3RDFUSION

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

12 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

$10k, that's still less than how much my dream server would cost....alas, who has $15k to blow on a server. 

Added up wrong the first time. It's more like $20k

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Added up wrong the first time. It's more like $20k

Well, since $10k is so irrelevant you miscounted, would you mind sending me $10k? I'd like to convert my server to full SSD storage with 10 4tb 850 Evos.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Linus certified and approved servers for gamers and enthusiasts. Comes with a free 2 year warranty. If something breaks (reliability yet to be established), Linus will come onsite and fix it himself, along with making a video about it later which will then be posted two months after the fact.

btw, care to set me up a computer that can run Windows, Linux, and Mac OS simultaneously? Please and thank you.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Neat build.  Didn't like seeing the on-screen personalities be so careless in lifting heavy equipment.  Can mess one's back up or do some serious injury to one's toes up pretty bad that way.  Nevermind the danger to the hardware.

Would be neat to see what sort of loads that machine actually sees at run-time, and how that benchmarks compared to "bare metal".  Virtualized environments aren't always the best for very CPU intensive loads as there's context switching overhead which can be considerable.

Maybe you guys can do a video on that sometime.  Compare running, say, Prime95 and the whole pile of other benchmarks in a VM instance of Windows, versus Prime95 on the actual bare metal hardware. 

If I understood correctly, you will have a VM in standby that will only be used when the yearly backup is needed?

What about removing this VM and reallocating the resources to the others, replacing this with a Dockerfile that installs all the necessary tools to run this backup. It'll only run when needed such as main server running out of space or scheduled yearly. Not sure if unRaid can do triggers of this sort but wrapping this Dockerfile in a Makefile and scheduling a cron or via a manual run would work as well. Jenkins is a good system for scheduling/triggering jobs but that's probably too big of a setup for just one job.

Overall good setup you have with unRaid though switching everything(or most) to a docker based structure would greatly improve performance and could also easily allow for source-controlling any changes you make to each system.

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well, since $10k is so irrelevant you miscounted, would you mind sending me $10k? I'd like to convert my server to full SSD storage with 10 4tb 850 Evos.

Terrible idea to use Evo's - most raid controllers hate them. Not to mention 2012 R2 won't even acknowledge them. :P

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Terrible idea to use Evo's - most raid controllers hate them. Not to mention 2012 R2 won't even acknowledge them. :P

I'm running FreeNAS, so neither of those should be much of an issue. The problem is that supposedly FreeNAS doesn't necessarily work well with SSDs.

But, if you'd like to spot me $20k~ to go with an alternative, feel free :)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@LinusTech Regarding the backup plan N3RDFUSION has with using a "cold storage" on tape. Does LMG have something similar or are you just relying on your 100TB storage server at the moment? At the rate you're pumping out content these 100TB will run out eventually ... somewhere in the next 10 years or so i guess.:D I think Linus mentioned something of an offsite storage in one of the server-build-videos when you moved to the new office?

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

I would like to say that the current name of this topic suggests a $10,000 storage server, while youtube mentions in the name and preface a $20,000 server.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I really want to know why they need to keep several tens of terabytes of past streams, maybe some big events sure but even as a viewer I don't care about month old streams, archiving it kind of defeats the whole purpose them. Also I am not entirely sure what nerdfusion is because all that was told in the video was a couple guys streaming minecraft  (which of course I know that is not it) which defeats the purpose of showing how much Linus learned as most viewers will be like "WTF 9000 core 100TB storage for MINECRAFTT??", I am sure Mr Tech TIps has some reason to justify this seemingly overkill server better but I feel the uses should have been better explained in the video because as of now with secondary research I still have to assume all of their  streamers use their building to stream simultaneously or something.

So the way I understand this is that LMG just kinda gave N3RDFUSION this server, at no cost to N3RDFUSION? It was a gift? This doesn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective. N3RDFUSION's audience is a an audience of people who like watching game livestreams, not technology videos, so there's not a lot of cross promotion to be done. Besides anybody from N3RDFUSION's fanbase who'd be interested in this stuff is probalby already subscirbed. This build wasn't sponsored either so this seems like it's a lot of very expensive hardware to just give away.

9 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

@LinusTech What vm software are they using on the server? to run all of those vms

They use unRAID:

https://lime-technology.com/

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub