This monster is alive! (almost)

Inspirational
Go to solution Solved by Inspirational,
2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I looked at more testing.  The H5 really performs.  It is a higher tier cooler.

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY

20 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It was never about the colour.  It was about price/performance.  That drive offers each GB for $0.24.

It is not a bad drive:  http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/OCZ-ARC-100-480GB/Rating/3471

If you want more speed that will barely ever benefit you, you have to pay more.  It is up to you.  King of budget drives (Speed) is the Samsung EVO.

Almost twice the price: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam

That's fine. We'll stick to the current one then :)

If I ever feel as though I need more room (in the future) I'll grab the Samsung EVO. But for now, there's probably no need for it

This is the current build I am working on:

>>>> The $2500 ($1900 US) Desktop <<<<

>>> Old Build <<<

LAST UPDATED: 30-September-16 / 05:38PM (Sydney Time) 

5 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

That's fine. We'll stick to the current one then :)

If I ever feel as though I need more room (in the future) I'll grab the Samsung EVO. But for now, there's probably no need for it

Trust me, I use a drive (240GB) from the same generation (MLC flash).  I have been using it for 3 years now.  Corsair Force 3.  I got worried it might go one day soon, so I grabbed up another drive (Patriot Ignite, 240GB) when there was a decent deal. 

480GB for $110 AUD... man that is a deal.

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Trust me, I use a drive (240GB) from the same generation (MLC flash).  I have been using it for 3 years now.  Corsair Force 3.  I got worried it might go one day soon, so I grabbed up another drive (Patriot Ignite, 240GB) when there was a decent deal. 

480GB for $110 AUD... man that is a deal.

I was looking at the places that I can purchase the parts from, and I couldnt find a suitable one for the RAM :( 

I made a quick search on pcpartpicker and came across this one:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jjZ2FT/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16w

Its white, and should be the exact same in terms of specs. I think. Have a look at it if you get the chance

>>> Old Build <<<

9 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I was looking at the places that I can purchase the parts from, and I couldnt find a suitable one for the RAM :( 

I made a quick search on pcpartpicker and came across this one:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jjZ2FT/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16w

Its white, and should be the exact same in terms of specs. I think. Have a look at it if you get the chance

Those are fine.  You are not planning to push these kits in terms of overclocking.  The TridentZ are better (IC - internal circuitry), but the Vengeance is not bad.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Those are fine.  You are not planning to push these kits in terms of overclocking.  The TridentZ are better (IC - internal circuitry), but the Vengeance is not bad.

I don't plan on overclocking my RAM... Just the CPU. So it should be okay.

>>> Old Build <<<

20 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

There are links that work, however, I am trying to avoid purchasing every part from a different site. 

So far I was able to find most of them on PCCG for very similar prices. I am having troubles with the SSD and Graphics card.

The SSD's website claims the item is "End of life." Now I am not a 100% sure on what that means, but I assume that it could mean it's no longer produced/sold ? I'm not sure. Here is it's link: http://cplonline.com.au/ocz-arc-100-480gb-sata-iii-2-5-ssd-arc100-25sat3-480g.html.

Perhaps we should look for a similar priced SSD?

The Graphics Card seems fine with the website. However, is Shopping Express a trust worthy source? I have never used their services before, and $650 is a lot of money to be putting on the line.

>>> Old Build <<<

25 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Yes it does, however, I found the other one for $2 more that can be purchased with the majority of the other items on PCCG.

Here is the new list (showing where they will be purchased from) 

>>> Old Build <<<

>>> Old Build <<<

39 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

If we can't get the current SSD to work out, how about THIS ONE?

That one is fine.  It is TLC, but that should not matter too much in the short term (years).  You might have to reinstall windows (clean), or if you make a clone of the OS... install that, after a few years to regain some speed.

It will be fine.

56 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Yes it does, however, I found the other one for $2 more that can be purchased with the majority of the other items on PCCG.

Here is the new list (showing where they will be purchased from) 

Not bad at all... you are spending a bit more ($50), but most of it is from one place.

You might have a little trouble with the Corsair RAM in regard to the native compatibility of the motherboard BIOS/XMP... so you might have to manually set the timings and clock speed... more learning for you right?  xD

I checked the motherboard compatibility list.  The GSKill modules are listed, but not the Corsair(I think).  Not a big problem.  It can be frustrating if you don't know what to do.

6 hours ago, stconquest said:

Not bad at all... you are spending a bit more ($50), but most of it is from one place.

You might have a little trouble with the Corsair RAM in regard to the native compatibility of the motherboard BIOS/XMP... so you might have to manually set the timings and clock speed... more learning for you right?  xD

I checked the motherboard compatibility list.  The GSKill modules are listed, but not the Corsair(I think).  Not a big problem.  It can be frustrating if you don't know what to do.

I'd prefer not going into "manually set[ting] the timings and clock speed." That's going a little too deep for me.

Could you provide the link to the motherboard's compatible RAM list?

>>> Old Build <<<

6 hours ago, stconquest said:

That one is fine.  It is TLC, but that should not matter too much in the short term (years).  You might have to reinstall windows (clean), or if you make a clone of the OS... install that, after a few years to regain some speed.

It will be fine.

Are you talking about formatting the SSD and then reinstalling windows?

>>> Old Build <<<

8 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I'd prefer not going into "manually set[ting] the timings and clock speed." That's going a little too deep for me.

Could you provide the link to the motherboard's compatible RAM list?

Stupid ASUS site is not cooperating. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-AR/HelpDesk_QVL/

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-AR/Z170-AR_DRAM_QVL_20160316.pdf?_ga=1.208230994.1957433345.1474417613

@Inspirational

If you look at the list, it has this set in the 3200MHz section:  CMD16GX4M4A3200C16

Your set is:  CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W

It might work fine by enabling X.M.P (Extreme Memory Profile), but maybe not.  Manually setting them is easy.

37 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Stupid ASUS site is not cooperating. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-AR/HelpDesk_QVL/

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-AR/Z170-AR_DRAM_QVL_20160316.pdf?_ga=1.208230994.1957433345.1474417613

@Inspirational

If you look at the list, it has this set in the 3200MHz section:  CMD16GX4M4A3200C16

Your set is:  CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W

It might work fine by enabling X.M.P (Extreme Memory Profile), but maybe not.  Manually setting them is easy.

Isn't there just a "plug-and-play" RAM? How did we get so deep into this? Manually changing timings, enabling XMP... I just want to install the RAM sticks onto the mother board and never look at them again...

>>> Old Build <<<

4 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Isn't there just a "plug-and-play" RAM? How did we get so deep into this? Manually changing timings, enabling XMP... I just want to install the RAM sticks onto the mother board and never look at them again...

xD

It could very well be plug'n'play.  It all depends on the BIOS installed on the motherboard.  New RAM modules are added to the market all the time.  That list is only the modules tested at the time of that BIOS.  All of the RAM will work.  You might have to fiddle around.  XMP is easy, just go into bios and change "disabled", to "enabled" and "save and quit".

Default speed of DDR4 RAM is 2133MHz.  Everything else is over clocked.

22 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It could very well be plug'n'play. 

I hope so...

You might have to fiddle around. 

What do you mean?

XMP is easy, just go into bios and change "disabled", to "enabled" and "save and quit".

That's good to know

So what do you suggest we do?

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

I hope so...

What do you mean?

That's good to know

So what do you suggest we do?

Get the set you want.  Worst case scenario is you have to update the motherboard's bios.  Best case scenario is it works out of the box.  Then there is X.M.P, and lastly manually setting a few numbers (timings, clock, voltage), "fiddling".

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Get the set you want.  Worst case scenario is you have to update the motherboard's bios. 

How can we avoid any chances of the "worst case scenario"?

Best case scenario is it works out of the box.  Then there is X.M.P,

Are there any other options for the RAM? 

and lastly manually setting a few numbers (timings, clock, voltage), "fiddling".

I would really like to avoid this

>>> Old Build <<<

8 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

How can we avoid any chances of the "worst case scenario"?

Are there any other options for the RAM? 

I would really like to avoid this

Gimme a sec...

@Inspirational

Hey, go with the white Corsair RAM set you had.  The timings are the same as the 3200MHz RAM tested by ASUS.  It should work just fine.

I did not mean to scare you.  I was just being thorough with my advice.  :(

@Inspirational

Why did you not go for the white TridentZ?  They are better sticks:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw

20 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Gimme a sec...

@Inspirational

Hey, go with the white Corsair RAM set you had.  The timings are the same as the 3200MHz RAM tested by ASUS.  It should work just fine.

@Inspirational

Why did you not go for the white TridentZ?  They are better sticks:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw

For convenience. I am trying to avoid making purchases from 50 different websites :)

>>> Old Build <<<

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Gimme a sec...

@Inspirational

@Inspirational

I just spoke with the shop that was selling the 480GB SSD for $117 AUD, and they said the price was wrong, along with that, they no longer have that SSD. Looks like we will have to hunt for another SSD now.

>>> Old Build <<<

5 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I just spoke with the shop that was selling the 480GB SSD for $117 AUD, and they said the price was wrong, along with that, they no longer have that SSD. Looks like we will have to hunt for another SSD now.

The BX200, or the SP550 is the next decent budget option.

I suppose this price is wrong as well:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/n9Gj4D/ocz-internal-hard-drive-trn10025sat3960g

Everything around the $150 mark is TLC.  MLC drives are all near the Samsung 850 EVO price.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

That one is also "End of Life" so I assume that the CPL directory is just out of date

>>> Old Build <<<

2 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

That one is also "End of Life" so I assume that the CPL directory is just out of date

Everything around the $150 mark is TLC.  MLC drives are all near the Samsung 850 EVO price. 

The 850 EVO is TLC based, but with Samsung magic included.  <<That is a joke.